PQs on Beta Maps are not much use now

Delta68

I used to be able to show a PQ on the map and see what other caches there are in the surrounding area. This was very handy for planning caching trips

I suspect I'm wasting my time even asking this but...

Please bring back this facility!

Mark

Why do you write a PQ?

I write a PQ to select caches that fit the parameters I select in the PQ. I don't want to see the "other" caches (else why bother writing the PQ in the first place)?

I would respectively suggest that if you want to see caches "other" than the ones you have selected in your PQ then you are not writing your PQ correctly in the first place.

(Besides which if you want to see the "other" caches from a "Pocket Query" map view you simply have to click on the "search" tab).

If anything is done be done to improve the map view GS should implement a system so that you can toggle back and forth between the PG view and the general view.

Why do you write a PQ?

I write a PQ to select caches that fit the parameters I select in the PQ. I don't want to see the "other" caches (else why bother writing the PQ in the first place)?

I would respectively suggest that if you want to see caches "other" than the ones you have selected in your PQ then you are not writing your PQ correctly in the first place.

*Sigh*

I might want to find a cache (any cache) with a particular placed date or D/T rating.

If I create a PQ to list all caches with 5D/3.5T I can preview the list on the map.

UP UNTIL LAST WEEK I would also be able to see AT A GLANCE how many other caches there are near to each of the caches on the list.

Forgive me if this is not using a PQ properly but you kinda get used to something working one way and then get miffed when it no longer works that way!!

:mad:

M

I used to be able to show a PQ on the map and see what other caches there are in the surrounding area. This was very handy for planning caching trips

I suspect I'm wasting my time even asking this but...

Please bring back this facility!

Mark

Why do you write a PQ?

(Besides which if you want to see the "other" caches from a "Pocket Query" map view you simply have to click on the "search" tab).

If anything is done be done to improve the map view GS should implement a system so that you can toggle back and forth between the PG view and the general view.

I would respectively suggest that some of us write our PQs correctly to fit our needs and not yours. :)

I make a bookmark list of an area where I want to travel to. This list may cover several hundred miles of roadway, and also caches in the destination area. Then I submit the list as a PQ and I want to see the results on the map (which you can do now) but I also want to see if I may have missed something, or maybe in a couple of weeks from now if any new caches have been placed along this route. Maybe this list is a year old.... what else is out there, how many have been disabled, or even archived?

Clicking on the search tab does not over lay the PQ caches in a designated form to differentiate them from the rest of the caches on the map as the previous maps did.

This is not a bug report, so I'm moving this thread to the feature discussion forum.

Since the release notes mention exactly this text:

• Added the ability to filter the map by only those caches found within the Pocket Query you are viewing
it would seem that the expected behavior would be to still have what was there before but that now you can also just see the PQs individually. Perhaps it is just a matter of semantics so perhaps it does not matter, as long as the information is out there.

Also, it would seem from all that can be read about it, that it was not an explicit design choice to remove the ability to visualize the data in a PQ against all the data. I too would like to see that feature come back because I found it very useful. I think it would be great if it could be implemented as a check-box in the navigation frame to show all other caches.

I think that perhaps the issue here is that there used to be a map beta and what we now see is a different map beta with the unfortunate situation that there was no time to first do a beta release. Clearly all the software was/is being re-written, but many users probably do not appreciate the massive amount of work that this has required. Maybe they ought to show the words BETA so everyone understands that it is a work-in-progress.

I am very appreciative of all the work that has gone into this new mapping software. I can tell how much work this has been and the pain that programmers have had to deal with, to get this to work as a productions system with nearly no lead time.

My current work around now is to run a PQ for the area and view that in Google Earth. Then grab the loc file from a bookmark list and drop that into Google Earth. The loc will place little flags for the items and I can see which geocaches are not in my book mark list. Refreshing is a pain but there is no limit on loc files from a bookmark list so it is doable. Just slower.

Why do you write a PQ?

*Sigh*

I might want to find a cache (any cache) with a particular placed date or D/T rating.

If I create a PQ to list all caches with 5D/3.5T I can preview the list on the map.

UP UNTIL LAST WEEK I would also be able to see AT A GLANCE how many other caches there are near to each of the caches on the list.

Forgive me if this is not using a PQ properly but you kinda get used to something working one way and then get miffed when it no longer works that way!!

:mad:

M

Which is exactly how most of us felt when the beta maps came out and suddenly, our PQ views were crowded with all of the nearby caches that were not part of the PQ. This was probably the most complained about "feature" of the beta maps.

A feature request to have the ability to toggle it either way would be the appropriate response. Complaining that it finally works as intended seems strange. I for one, am extremely happy that the developers have finally fixed this part of the maps.

Which is exactly how most of us felt when the beta maps came out and suddenly, our PQ views were crowded with all of the nearby caches that were not part of the PQ. This was probably the most complained about "feature" of the beta maps.

Yup. Have to agree. One of the most complained about features. 100% agree

I hated lo the extra "junk" in my PQ!!

A feature request to have the ability to toggle it either way would be the appropriate response. Complaining that it finally works as intended seems strange. I for one, am extremely happy that the developers have finally fixed this part of the maps.

The funny thing is I liked them *with* all the extra caches around the PQ. Even when everyone else was complaining, I posted that I liked them as they were.

Shortly after the maps were changed, I was at an event, and I asked the crowd what they thought of the new maps. The two biggest complaints were the performance (which has since improved and I believe will continue to improve) and no longer seeing the caches that surround a PQ. Few complained about the lack of Google, mainly because the alternatives are pretty good in our area.

I really hope that Groundspeak adds an option to toggle the surrounding caches in a future update.