Graveyards

drsolly

We've all done it - walked round and round graveyards looking for particular graves. It's a common problem. But I've come up with a solution!

What would be really nice, is if people were buried in alphabetical order. The trouble is, they don't die that way, so you can start off with a graveyard in good alphabetical order, but then to keep it what way, you'd be constantly digging people up and reburying them. An expensive solution, so probably not going to be adopted, especially in these economically challenged times.

But there's another way, and it comes from the world of computer databases. What you do, is you keep a box of 3x5 cards, one for each grave, giving the details of who is there, and the location of the grave. And then it's cheap and easy to maintain the box of cards in alphabetical order, and you could even put the database online.

We've all done it - walked round and round graveyards looking for particular graves. It's a common problem. But I've come up with a solution!

What would be really nice, is if people were buried in alphabetical order. The trouble is, they don't die that way, so you can start off with a graveyard in good alphabetical order, but then to keep it what way, you'd be constantly digging people up and reburying them. An expensive solution, so probably not going to be adopted, especially in these economically challenged times.

But there's another way, and it comes from the world of computer databases. What you do, is you keep a box of 3x5 cards, one for each grave, giving the details of who is there, and the location of the grave. And then it's cheap and easy to maintain the box of cards in alphabetical order, and you could even put the database online.

Like this you mean ...........

FIND A GRAVE ALPHA.

INSCRIPTION AND POSITION

Edited by perth pathfinders

I was doing a CM multi in Wickford when a helpful parishioner walked up the path and asked what I was doing. I explained I was looking for particular graves. She then insisted that I come in and search through the graveyard records in the office. It made the search much easier, although it probably wasn't what the CO had in mind when they set the cache.

I didn't have the heart to tell the very kind lady that I was doing a 'treasure hunt'

... But I've come up with a solution!

... and it comes from the world of computer databases. What you do, is you keep a box of 3x5 cards, one for each grave, giving the details of who is there, and the location of the grave. And then it's cheap and easy to maintain the box of cards in alphabetical order, and you could even put the database online.

Yep, look what we did quite some time ago: Exeter cemeteries :laughing:

... But I've come up with a solution!

... and it comes from the world of computer databases. What you do, is you keep a box of 3x5 cards, one for each grave, giving the details of who is there, and the location of the grave. And then it's cheap and easy to maintain the box of cards in alphabetical order, and you could even put the database online.

Yep, look what we did quite some time ago: Exeter cemeteries :laughing:

I cannot resist to ask, but did this task come to a dead end? :)

I'm just back from a week in the Republic of Ireland, and was there at Christmas as well. There seems to be a fascination with placing caches in graveyards or at religious sites of significance. I know that the country is much more religious than the UK - and that there is one dominant religion - but for me it's most disconcerting to be rooting round near to gravestones (we're not talking about finding clues in the graveyard, but the actual cache). I bailed out more than once and lost some of my enthusiasm for caching over there, it almost seems like there has to be a religious connection for a cache to be placed - or maybe it's just the area that I was in.