How or when are caches archived?

Bloodheart

This is part question from a newbie and partly complaining.

Visited two caches today;

Cache #1 - poor description consisted of one sentence explaining the name of the location, the specific cache location was scrub land which was obviously a spot for lazy dog walkers and a hang-out for teens getting drunk given the dog mess and pools of vomit, it didn't feel safe and I had no interest sticking round. I didn't find the cache but according to logs it was just hidden within grass, and that the box was not water-proofed so it always full of water. No maintenance since April 2010 despite countless logs saying maintenance is needed...although CO did log-in yesterday.

Cache #2 - not the best location but the problem is lack of maintenance as the CO has done no maintenance and hasn't logged-in at all since November 2010 (CO's other cache already archived).

As I don't drive and walk to caches it was a lot of effort for nothing (but as I chose to go for these two caches today I at least knew I was potentially setting myself up for disappointment), it spoils things a little but at least now I have a better idea of what not to do once I'm ready to start my own cache. I'm guessing this is fairly common in geocaching.

In both cases you've got poor caches and CO's that are obviously not looking after their caches, so what happens? The CO of cache #2 had his other cache archived by a Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com after it had sat disabled for some time - is this the only time an abandoned cache is archived?

This is part question from a newbie and partly complaining.

Visited two caches today;

Cache #1 - poor description consisted of one sentence explaining the name of the location, the specific cache location was scrub land which was obviously a spot for lazy dog walkers and a hang-out for teens getting drunk given the dog mess and pools of vomit, it didn't feel safe and I had no interest sticking round. I didn't find the cache but according to logs it was just hidden within grass, and that the box was not water-proofed so it always full of water. No maintenance since April 2010 despite countless logs saying maintenance is needed...although CO did log-in yesterday.

Cache #2 - not the best location but the problem is lack of maintenance as the CO has done no maintenance and hasn't logged-in at all since November 2010 (CO's other cache already archived).

As I don't drive and walk to caches it was a lot of effort for nothing (but as I chose to go for these two caches today I at least knew I was potentially setting myself up for disappointment), it spoils things a little but at least now I have a better idea of what not to do once I'm ready to start my own cache. I'm guessing this is fairly common in geocaching.

In both cases you've got poor caches and CO's that are obviously not looking after their caches, so what happens? The CO of cache #2 had his other cache archived by a Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com after it had sat disabled for some time - is this the only time an abandoned cache is archived?

Location and quality of the cache container have no bearing on if a cache is published or archived. That is just the nature of the beast. We can't expect the reviewers to judge caches based on subjective standards. There are however objective standards that the reveiewers use called the guidelines.

If a cache does not meet the guidelines it will not be published or will be archived. Cache maintainence is one of those guidlines. If you feel that the cache needs maintainence and the CO is absent then post a NA to bring it to the reviewer's attention.

I didn't look to see what caches you might be referring to.

Urban caching is increasingly becoming a potential disappointment.

If you find the cache and get your smiley without stepping in excrement or being accosted by an angry business owner, then consider yourself lucky.

Or, you could post a 'Needs Archived' and let the chips fall where they may.