Open a .gpx file

muffy53

Did you run a PQ, or did you run a 'My Finds' query?

Wanting to open/read the files on your computer, makes me ask the question.

I ask because both are forms of Pocket Queries, but have different uses. They oftentimes are confused with one another. They are animals of a different color. One (Pocket Query) is supposed to be used in a GPSr, while the other (My Finds) is supposed to be used elsewhere, such as your computer.

Generally, a PQ is for direct loading into a GPSr unit. That device utilizes the gpx files and organizes them into info that is designed for human interaction. Opening and reading it (directly) does a person little use. There may be folks that could use it for some reason, but it eludes me. It can be read on your computer through one of the third-party programs below, most notably GSAK (not so sure about the others, myself).

A 'My Finds' query is not for use in the GPSr. It is intended to be used to compile stats through a third-party program such as GSAK, EasyGPS, CacheStats, and others. They are then readable and organized on your computer (or another device) for viewing. Again, the files generally are not something that a person would open and find useful as they exist.

Did you run a PQ, or did you run a 'My Finds' query?

Wanting to open/read the files on your computer, makes me ask the question.

I ask because both are forms of Pocket Queries, but have different uses. They oftentimes are confused with one another. They are animals of a different color. One (Pocket Query) is supposed to be used in a GPSr, while the other (My Finds) is supposed to be used elsewhere, such as your computer.

Generally, a PQ is for direct loading into a GPSr unit. That device utilizes the gpx files and organizes them into info that is designed for human interaction. Opening and reading it (directly) does a person little use. There may be folks that could use it for some reason, but it eludes me. It can be read on your computer through one of the third-party programs below, most notably GSAK (not so sure about the others, myself).

A 'My Finds' query is not for use in the GPSr. It is intended to be used to compile stats through a third-party program such as GSAK, EasyGPS, CacheStats, and others. They are then readable and organized on your computer (or another device) for viewing. Again, the files generally are not something that a person would open and find useful as they exist.