Distance From...

Original A1

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I've just noticed that on the cache pages, the old "This is xxx miles from your home co-ordinates" seems to have disappeared.

Are others finding the same and if it's gone, why?

Were it not that I just have one cache left to find in The Well-Travelled Cacher Mini-Challenge (MA) GC2KAF5 which I've already listed on an Excel sheet, I'd be completely snookered. And it's not the only cache of that type...

:blink:

This may have been discussed elsewhere, but I've just noticed that on the cache pages, the old "This is xxx miles from your home co-ordinates" seems to have disappeared.

Were it not that I just have one cache left to find in The Well-Travelled Cacher Mini-Challenge (MA) GC2KAF5 which I've already listed on an Excel sheet, I'd be completely snookered. And it's not the only cache of that type...

Your example is "W 3208.8 mi from your home location " according to the cache page. Sounds like a good challenge, although I'd use the "Well Travelled Cacher" GSAK macro rather than attempt to list them myself.

Is there one of these in the UK?

Is there a similar challenge cache in the UK?

Your example is "W 3208.8 mi from your home location " according to the cache page. Sounds like a good challenge, although I'd use the "Well Travelled Cacher" GSAK macro rather than attempt to list them myself.

Don't know. I'd be happy to do one, but haven't been well lately, so if people are happy to wait a couple of months, I'll see what I can do. There is a much more comprehensive one including caches up to 500 miles(!), but unless you live in Southern England or Northern Scotland, it's not possible in the UK!

Is there a similar challenge cache in the UK?

Don't know. I'd be happy to do one, but haven't been well lately, so if people are happy to wait a couple of months, I'll see what I can do. There is a much more comprehensive one including caches up to 500 miles(!), but unless you live in Southern England or Northern Scotland, it's not possible in the UK!

I'm based fairly centrally so I might set one up myself in the spring.

It doesn't matter where you're based as the setter; it's just that it's impossible for someone (especially based centrally!) to get to anywhere in the UK that's 500 miles from their home co-ords. I live in Edinburgh, and 500 miles (with or without the help of The Proclaimers) takes you to Northern France, etc.)... Which is all well and good, but you will find it difficult to get the ones say at 420 miles in the middle of the Channel!

:o

It doesn't matter where you're based as the setter; it's just that it's impossible for someone (especially based centrally!) to get to anywhere in the UK that's 500 miles from their home co-ords. I live in Edinburgh, and 500 miles (with or without the help of The Proclaimers) takes you to Northern France, etc.)... Which is all well and good, but you will find it difficult to get the ones say at 420 miles in the middle of the Channel!

How about if I invite you to our event on The Isles of Scilly in June - Would that be far enough? :D

MrsB

How about if I invite you to our event on The Isles of Scilly in June - Would that be far enough? :D

MrsB

Now that's very tempting in itself (health permitting), but a) I can't check how far the Scillies are from here (well I can, but not using gc.com) and also even if they're 500 miles, I'd still need to get the other caches every 5 miles from 255 to 500, so I think the same problem might arise!

HH - I see your point about being central - good observation. Although that said, I'm completing this grid and ONE DAY am prepared to head to Massachussetts to get the final. Not quite as unlikely as it sounds as I have a brother living there, but it's still the far side of the state... In the same way as I'll need to go to Ireland, Texas and Washington to find caches correlating to the "Leave no day uncached" grids. Again, had I been in a fitter state, I might have done a UK one, including 29th Feb (hehe), but maybe someone else will be happy to take up that particular challenge.

B)

(Put in a help request over the original problem.)

I've just been chatting to Mike and Annie from anniebananie who setup the cache in the OP and will set up a Challenge cache for GB. Taking Meriden to be the centre (roughly speaking as they have the plaque etc) and estimating it to be 250 miles as the crow flies to Lands End, I think this would mean that a 250 mile limit should be acceptable for a UK challenge cache to allow a reasonable proportion of caches on mainland GB to participate.

To get the 500 miles for another cache, perhaps an alternative to home address could be a point of your own choosing instead. You would still have to have a fan out every 5 miles for 500 miles and certainly would be a challenge.

I've just been chatting to Mike and Annie from anniebananie who setup the cache in the OP and will set up a Challenge cache for GB.

Sounds good...except that they're in the USA (I think) so how are they going to maintain the physical cache? Or are you volunteering?

This cache is supposed to be near to the centre of the UK, just as a matter of interest...

Sorry, that was meant to read "I" will. It's so easy to mislead with a simple mistake. The cache I'm setting will be near me rather than near the centre of England. I was only using Meriden as a point to try and mean that the challenge will be accessible to most home locations.

I've just been chatting to Mike and Annie from anniebananie who setup the cache in the OP and will set up a Challenge cache for GB.

Sounds good...except that they're in the USA (I think) so how are they going to maintain the physical cache? Or are you volunteering?

This cache is supposed to be near to the centre of the UK, just as a matter of interest...

Sorry, that was meant to read "I" will. It's so easy to mislead with a simple mistake. The cache I'm setting will be near me rather than near the centre of England. I was only using Meriden as a point to try and mean that the challenge will be accessible to most home locations.

Hmmm - well it's very nice of you to offer, but in honesty, if I'm taking the High Wycombe area as being your local patch, that's further than 250 miles from Edinburgh (i.e. outwith the maximum distance anyway), so what about all of us who have 300+ miles to go to reach one near you?! Same difference if I did one up here when it boils down to it.

Hmmm - well it's very nice of you to offer, but in honesty, if I'm taking the High Wycombe area as being your local patch, that's further than 250 miles from Edinburgh (i.e. outwith the maximum distance anyway), so what about all of us who have 300+ miles to go to reach one near you?! Same difference if I did one up here when it boils down to it.

Obviously we need more than 1. Probably three would be sufficient as we don't want loads of them and there's always going to be winners and losers.

Three does sound good. One in the south, one in the North and one in midway. One could even be a 500.

Well I have a 250 under review with three other challenges and I will keep you posted.

It's back from its holidays! I can now see how far the Scilly event is - just under 437 miles from my home location.

Don't forget that the Challenge rules exclude events;

All cache types count as finds with the exception of events (CITO included) and locationless caches.

Well I have a 250 under review with three other challenges and I will keep you posted.

Well done! Perhaps I'll set up a "Central England" one when I get chance (probably about six weeks from now).