coin to Geocoin

Orosman

Hi there

I'm new to the Geocaching world and so far I have picked up some pretty amazing geocoins

This sparked the idea for getting my own one out there and see what it does

Now here is my question over the weekend I was shopping around and found a pretty cool coin

How can I change this from an ordinary coin to a geocoin

I am from South Africa and have yet to find a place in the Gauteng area that makes them so I was thinking of converting this one

Thanks for any ideas in Advance

Hi there

I'm not quite clear on what you want to do:

Do you want to use that coin that you've found and tag it with a tracking number so that you can follow its travels?

The only way to make any item trackable on this site is to buy official tracking numbers from Groundspeak - either in the form of a travel bug tag or by designing/producing geocoins and buying the tracking codes to be stamped onto your finished geocoins.

If you have just this one coin that you want to see travel, the easiest thing to do would be to buy a TB tag and attach it to your coin. It wouldn't have any special geocoin icon, obviously, just whatever icon is associated with the tag you choose.

MrsB :)

Hi there and welcome to the forums,

Have you read the pinned topics at the top of the geocoin discussions forum? And also the Geocoin FAQ on the Geocaching website?

These are both areas you should read thoroughly as they will answer most questions you have.

There has been several similar threads lately, but I can't immediately locate them.

91dfe3e0-5600-4d1a-8862-9f3f181a79e2.jpg383c26b5-655d-4655-a5df-a1883ffd57cf.jpge05e4a42-d5e4-4172-9d19-25c1c21683dd.jpgI have found keychain items and other coins I like so I have them engraved on the back at a trophy store with a travel bug tracking number and then I can keep the travel bug at home incase the coin itself ever goes missing I can use it again for something else or as another keychain, coin, etc. I will post some photos of items I have done.

Hi there

I'm new to the Geocaching world and so far I have picked up some pretty amazing geocoins

Now here is my question over the weekend I was shopping around and found a pretty cool coin

I am from South Africa and have yet to find a place in the Gauteng area that makes them so I was thinking of converting this one

emm... sorry for asking but what coin did you find? a real coin? can you please take a photo of it? I am a coin and banknote collector... so... of course.. this doesn't help you but maybe the coin is a good one.. so.... it will be bad to destroy it... or it will be very easy to lose it! Imean is someone sees a good real coin... there are 3 possibilities.... to ge ok and help it travel, to take it as a trade and keep it.. or to steal it if the coin is scarse or made of a precious metal etc... in case you do not want to show it here... send me a message.. to tell you its value first.... (its condition is a plus or a minus on the price...) south Africa!!! hmm... ;)

Hi there

emm... sorry for asking but what coin did you find? a real coin? can you please take a photo of it? I am a coin and banknote collector... so... of course.. this doesn't help you but maybe the coin is a good one.. so.... it will be bad to destroy it... or it will be very easy to lose it! Imean is someone sees a good real coin... there are 3 possibilities.... to ge ok and help it travel, to take it as a trade and keep it.. or to steal it if the coin is scarse or made of a precious metal etc... in case you do not want to show it here... send me a message.. to tell you its value first.... (its condition is a plus or a minus on the price...) south Africa!!! hmm... ;)

The only real value of this coin is the design I will take a photo but it is a card weight for poker (so of little value other then what was paid)

I Will take photos and show you guys I just don't have it on me right now

91dfe3e0-5600-4d1a-8862-9f3f181a79e2.jpg383c26b5-655d-4655-a5df-a1883ffd57cf.jpge05e4a42-d5e4-4172-9d19-25c1c21683dd.jpgI have found keychain items and other coins I like so I have them engraved on the back at a trophy store with a travel bug tracking number and then I can keep the travel bug at home incase the coin itself ever goes missing I can use it again for something else or as another keychain, coin, etc. I will post some photos of items I have done.

I was thinking of doing this as it would be the easiest way to "track" the coin but wouldn't it then fall under a tb and not a geocoin?

Maybe that could be a twist in the tail and confuse everything for fellow caches

I was thinking of doing this as it would be the easiest way to "track" the coin but wouldn't it then fall under a tb and not a geocoin?

Maybe that could be a twist in the tail and confuse everything for fellow caches

With respect to tracking, there is no difference between a travelbug and a geocoin. The only difference is the icon. A Geocoin has a geocoin icon (generic or specific icon) and all travelbugs have a travelbug icon.

woejam

i was searching for answers and i guess the only option is to buy the dog tag trackables :(

i have some really nice challenge coins that i just wish Groundspeak would sell individual tracking numbers that can be used for things like these :(

407027_10150540715529391_509659390_8826218_832177924_n.jpg

72521_450697324390_509659390_5185973_4842583_n.jpg

Those are indeed lovely coins. If you have any sentimental attachment to them I would caution you not to send them out as travel bugs. I fear they may be too attractive to have a long travelling life. :(

MrsB