62s, Oregon, eTrex, et al sticky reports?

luvvinbird

I upgraded the Oregon 450 and the 62S Thursday. We hit the road and have since found 120+ caches , half with heavy canopy and either raining or overcast. I'm VERY pleased to say they are operating GREAT....I don't think either of us has seen the " sticky " and I tried hard a few times stopping and creeping in the wet thick stuff but it did just fine.

We have two more days to cache and test but right now I'm very optimistic.....I'll let y'all know what the next two days bring.

We did about 90 hunts yesterday with perfect overhead weather. I may have seen something that resembled the " sticky " once but it only lasted a few seconds. What we did see was both units seemed jumpier as we approached GZ with the pointer swinging a bit to one side or the other a few feet not unlike some older units. I think the perfect weather made the increased sensitivity more noticeable. All caching was done in and around trees.

So far I view the upgrade as a positive.....we'll see what others find.

I've tried to load the new beta software for my etrex 20, but it always locks up and flashes, "Loader Loading..." until I pull the batteries. This is after multiple downloads of the software zip file (they are always the same size and same checksum), and I've tried this from two different microSD cards (one brand-new), with the same result. Is everyone loading it to the GPSr itself?

Think that's where it has to go ... ??

Well, the software gives you the option of the GPS device itself, or the SD card, or, if you don't have the GPSr attached, to any recognized card-reader (as long as it has a "Garmin" folder on it). My assumption would be that if it HAD to be installed on the device itself, the software wouldn't give you the other options, and more importantly, it would ignore the file on the SD card. The etrex sees that file on the card, and tries to boot from it. The only fix is to remove the card. If that glitch (if it is) happened on the device itself, I'd be sending it back to Garmin to be resurrected. :-/

Okay, the non-beta 2.70 firmware is out, at least it's available via the "webupdater" program; didn't see it on the "my.garmin" web site dashboard, yet.

The loader worked this time around, although the verifier sat at "0%" for quite a while...I was starting to get nervous! But all is well, 2.70 is installed. Now to test.

Okay, the non-beta 2.70 firmware is out, at least it's available via the "webupdater" program; didn't see it on the "my.garmin" web site dashboard, yet.

The loader worked this time around, although the verifier sat at "0%" for quite a while...I was starting to get nervous! But all is well, 2.70 is installed. Now to test.

Updating now... Then off to the woods to test. Drum roll please...........

I had previously reported my 62s sticking here. I updated to 3.9 and tried to reproduce this under very similar conditions (warmup, clear sky, lots of satellites, WAAS, same waypoint, procedures, etc.). I found it very difficult to walk slow enough to get the distance to completely "stick", often it would just lag behind. The distance would eventually count down to "close enough" when sitting upon the waypoint (fencepost). IMHO, I would now consider this a non-issue for caching, but I am going to keep an eye on it the next time I use it to check anchor drift.

Didn't notice any stickiness, but did notice some large inaccuracies in adverse conditions. Typical GPS behavior really... You're in one spot, it says GZ is there, five minutes later it has you 10 meters over there, so you go to the new GZ, only to be brought back to the old spot again. Rinse repeat. Previously it would just stick to one spot, obviously. But that's just how GPS is, isn't it.

Didn't notice any stickiness, but did notice some large inaccuracies in adverse conditions. Typical GPS behavior really... You're in one spot, it says GZ is there, five minutes later it has you 10 meters over there, so you go to the new GZ, only to be brought back to the old spot again. Rinse repeat. Previously it would just stick to one spot, obviously. But that's just how GPS is, isn't it.

I agree . We found 20 today and it was the same as last weed end....the 450 and 62S are a lot more sensitive and has the pointer bounce you describe.....kind of frustrating. I'm glad the sticky is gone but now I'm wondering if we didn't trade the witch for the devil.

What 'bugs' are you still seeing? Maybe they're 'features' :laughing:

For example, I have the Geocaching page set in the "page cycle" but after selecting another waypoint or stopping navigation I have to scroll through the pages twice because on the first time it doesn't load properly and pressing anything else than the back key crashes the unit. Very annoying!

Edited by a544jh

I agree . We found 20 today and it was the same as last weed end....the 450 and 62S are a lot more sensitive and has the pointer bounce you describe.....kind of frustrating. I'm glad the sticky is gone but now I'm wondering if we didn't trade the witch for the devil.

I thought that was the whole idea of having different profiles on the new etrex lineup... But that's just not the case. You would think when in geocaching mode it would be super sensitive, Fitness/ recreation mode a bit more stable for smooth tracking, and automotive mode would have static navigation cranked up to avoid jumping around at stop lights and between buildings.

I thought that was the whole idea of having different profiles on the new etrex lineup... But that's just not the case. You would think when in geocaching mode it would be super sensitive, Fitness/ recreation mode a bit more stable for smooth tracking, and automotive mode would have static navigation cranked up to avoid jumping around at stop lights and between buildings.

I hear you.

A good idea someone suggested was user sensitivity control. It could be like the brightness adjustment control.