Novice cacher who is technologically challenged

Phy'lis

At the present time I have only a basic membership in Geocaching.com. I do anticipate up grading to premium in the near future and that may help with some of my issues.

How do I send caches from Geocaching.com via my laptop to my smartphone? Motorola Droid 3 with Verizon.

My first 2 finds from my phone went fine, I just did nearby searches and found a couple very close to where my car was parked and off I went.

I then gave a 'home' location to the Geocaching.com website and since then my searches through the phone app want me to be AT my home location to start.

I paid for the Geocaching app for Droid and can't use it!

I would have thought the search for nearby would be based on where my phone and I happen to be, not where I gave my home location.

Boy, I wish I knew what to tell you (I'm somewhat technologically challenged myself). So every time you search for "nearby caches," it's giving you a list of caches near your home instead of where you're at? If you wait a few minutes and try again, does it still do that? It takes my (older) smart phone a while to figure out where I'm at, so if I search too soon after I've turned it on, it'll give me a list of caches near whatever cell tower it's bouncing off of (instead of near where I'm at).

With respect to getting caches on to the phone, the only time I bother with that is if I know I'm going outside of cell service. I "save" the caches to the phone while you're within cell service (usually I'm sitting at the computer while I do this, so I just look up the GC codes on the computer). I have yet to figure out the whole pocket-query-to-smart-phone thing, but I believe you have to be a premium member before you can do that anyway.

I hope someone else can tell you more than I can about the search problem. It should be listing caches near your current location.

Yes and no. If I enter a zip code (because that is the town I'm visiting in)I see local caches, but my phone says it's as many miles away as we already are. And using the 'navigate to' my phone wants me to 'travel' from home zip code. Not the few miles, or feet I may be actually standing away from a cache in the visiting zip code.

And also, when I have searched the laptop for the GC codes and enter them while out in the field I get a message of no such cache.

It's almost like your phone's GPS isn't working right. Like it's placing you at home irregardless of where you really are. I can't imagine that telling Groundspeak what your home coords are would have any impact on your phone's GPS.

When you use, for example, a map app (like the map app which came with the phone, assuming one did), does it pinpoint your current location on the map correctly? I'd want to rule out something going weird on the GPS itself.