GARMIN ETREX 10 GPS

newtongrannie

I normally use my Android phone to find caches which is ideal apart from the gps thrashing my phone battery. The app is simple to use and I can either use a map or 'compass' to navigate me to within feet of the cache.

I now want to try my hand at some of the multi caches and/or puzzle caches and have bought a Garmin Etrex 10. I have downloaded the owners manual but despite several attempts I cannot understand how to navigate to the cache using the unit. I have downloaded caches no problem, can read the description, hint and recent logs and have also worked out how to amend the co-ordinates. Then I am stuck as I do not understand how to navigate to the cache. It is very frustrating. I am usually very good at working out how things work, with or without a manual but this has me beat!! Can anyone help please?

Here's hoping the answer is so simple and staring me in the face LOL!!

Thanks

newtongrannie

I normally use my Android phone to find caches which is ideal apart from the gps thrashing my phone battery. The app is simple to use and I can either use a map or 'compass' to navigate me to within feet of the cache.

I now want to try my hand at some of the multi caches and/or puzzle caches and have bought a Garmin Etrex 10. I have downloaded the owners manual but despite several attempts I cannot understand how to navigate to the cache using the unit. I have downloaded caches no problem, can read the description, hint and recent logs and have also worked out how to amend the co-ordinates. Then I am stuck as I do not understand how to navigate to the cache. It is very frustrating. I am usually very good at working out how things work, with or without a manual but this has me beat!! Can anyone help please?

Here's hoping the answer is so simple and staring me in the face LOL!!

Thanks

newtongrannie

I use the Garmin Etrex 10 exclusively when I geocache. After downloading the geocaches...

1) From the main icon page toggle/click on "Geocaches" which will show you the geocaches you have downloaded.

2) Using the toggle, find and click on the geocache you seek. This will bring you to a map page with the "GO" banner at the bottom.

3) Click the toggle again. This will bring you to just the map page.

4) Push the "BACK" button which will bring you back to the main icon page.

5) Toggle/click on the compass icon. This will bring you to the navigation page you will need to find your way to the cache.

Hope this helps.

Legg1013

I use the Garmin Etrex 10 exclusively when I geocache. After downloading the geocaches...

1) From the main icon page toggle/click on "Geocaches" which will show you the geocaches you have downloaded.

2) Using the toggle, find and click on the geocache you seek. This will bring you to a map page with the "GO" banner at the bottom.

3) Click the toggle again. This will bring you to just the map page.

4) Push the "BACK" button which will bring you back to the main icon page.

5) Toggle/click on the compass icon. This will bring you to the navigation page you will need to find your way to the cache.

Hope this helps.

Legg1013

Thanks for the prompt reply Legg1013.

Your reply has been very helpful, I knew it had to be something simple. I got very frustrated with the gps and from the map just kept zooming in and out and back to the menu and starting over again!

I am going to try it out on my own cache which I definitely know where it is hidden lol. I will let the gps guide me to it.

Thanks again for your help.

newtongrannie aka Elaine

Excellent description! So, now a question I hope is easy, after I find a cache and want to remove it from the eTrex 10, how do I do that?

You do not remove caches from the GPS with the GPS. When the GPS is connected to the computer you can remove GPX files just as you delete any file on the computer. Go to "GPS"\Garmin\GPX\ to find the GPX files. If you are loading individual caches to the GPS, then removing the GPX files holding the individual caches will remove them. If (when) you use Pocket Queries the individual caches that are part of the the PQ will remain until the entire PQ GPX file is removed.

Are you marking the caches Found in the GPS after you find them? This will prevent them from being displayed when choosing a cache to navigate to.

Are you marking the caches Found in the GPS after you find them? This will prevent them from being displayed when choosing a cache to navigate to.

I am. Is there a way to quickly remove the found caches from the unit, or still the same file-by-file method? I'm using the EasyGPS software. Thanks for the help!