Team Finds

ATXTracker

This is just a poll of your personal opinion. Ultimately, I think it is up to the cachers and COs to decide, but I'm curious where the community's threshold for a 'team find' is.

If two people are caching together, which of the following scenarios are acceptable (to you) as a team find, where in both cachers later log the find on the website. For simplicity, please keep your answers to each scenario shortish, so many can participate.

1) Both cachers spot the cache at the same time, and both sign the log.

2) One cacher spots it first and both sign.

3) One cacher spots it and signs for both, while the other stands next to each other.

4) One cacher spots a difficult cache up a tree and the other climbs to retrieve it.

5) One cacher spots and retrieves a cache up a tree, while the other is nearby on the ground.

6) One cacher drives while the other jumps in and out of a car grabbing an easy power trail, signing for both. The driver doesn't see the cache because it is behind a tree.

7) A large team has multiple cars leap-frogging each other on a long power trail signing for the entire team.

Personally, I'd peg it around 4 or 5. But since I don't cache as a team and am not part of a team account, I really don't care how other folks do it. I know a few teams that split up and log all finds to one account, mostly husband/wife teams. That would drive me crazy if she stopped by herself after work and then it's logged without me finding it. But, that's why I don't share a team account with anybody :lol: If that's what works for 'em, then that's what they should do. I'm not competing.

This is just a poll of your personal opinion. Ultimately, I think it is up to the cachers and COs to decide, but I'm curious where the community's threshold for a 'team find' is.

If two people are caching together, which of the following scenarios are acceptable (to you) as a team find, where in both cachers later log the find on the website. For simplicity, please keep your answers to each scenario shortish, so many can participate.

3) One cacher spots it and signs for both, while the other stands next to each other.

4) One cacher spots a difficult cache up a tree and the other climbs to retrieve it.

5) One cacher spots and retrieves a cache up a tree, while the other is nearby on the ground.

6) One cacher drives while the other jumps in and out of a car grabbing an easy power trail, signing for both. The driver doesn't see the cache because it is behind a tree.

7) A large team has multiple cars leap-frogging each other on a long power trail signing for the entire team.

1-3 No issues. #3 is a rarity, I think that's happened maybe twice.

4-5 I would either insist on retrieving the cache, or replacing it. Thus I climbed the tree as the CO intended.

6 Did that once. My wife was driving and I was jumpin'.

7 Ain't gonna happen in my world. (although I have joked about it) But, never say never, eh?

Naturally all this applies to myself, and I don't give a rat's gluteus what others do.

4-5 I would either insist on retrieving the cache, or replacing it. Thus I climbed the tree as the CO intended.

If I climbed the tree to replace the cache then I agree, I'd probably log the find. So I amend my previous post. The others just don't feel like geocaching to me so I wouldn't log them. If others do, that's not my business. And no, my knickers are not in a knot over the issue. I don't even own knickers.

Edited by briansnat

There are 2 of us on one account- generally we are together but occasionally he goes to ky to visit relatives and he takes them out- while I am at home caching with my mom or neice-he has found some here and forgot to log- so he lets me find them again and check the date he found them

I can't say that I've spent a whole lot of time "team caching" , but when we make a climb up on a mountain top. or do a great hike with other cachers, we all sign the log. I always get a kick out of folks who say "you play the game your way, and I'll play it my way".There needs to be rules or guidelines in any game, and those who tend to cheat or skirt those guidelines don't impress me a whole lot, to say the least. I guess folks do whatever they have to do to pump up their numbers, ya know. Anyway, I'd go with #1 thru 3.

we do no 1-5 (mainlt it is me who retrive hard to get stuff)

I accept no 6

but not no 7

when a group of cachers go out together, like little internal event, or real event,

ok there is a little internal competition, like be the one who spots the most during a day,

we all like this, and it is alot of fun, but offcourse there is only ONE who spots it first,

the rest get it for "free"

we prefer to let the log book travel arround the group, so peopel sign it them self,

but some times it is more practical to let the finder sign for all,

this is ONLY since we all stand right there and look at him while writing..

ELSE it is NOT ok, to sign any finds for me, if I am not there..

1-3 definitely.

4-5, no if climbing the tree is an integral part of the cache (e.g. it's a high DT) then each finder should probably climb the tree.

6-7 no, but it's not something that really happens in the UK.

Having said all that I do it my way and I don't really care how anyone else does it so I'm not going to get hot and bothered about it either way.

All except 7 are OK with me.

While I see the various places to draw the line, with 1-6 both cachers were contributing to the find of the cache in some way, and both were at/near GZ (#6 is a bit borderline...)

But with #7, it is claiming a cache which neither even looked for. I'm not bothered in people want to do that; but it doesn't seem right.

We have done #1 thru #3. The rest I wouldn't claim, but whatever floats your boat I guess.

You did miss one. One team member finds the cache, then moves away, hopefully not giving away the cache hiding spot. That gives the other team member(s) a chance to find it themselves. When it is possible, that is how we usually do it. B)

Here is a controversial suggestion, just to spice it up, I have mixed feelings my self but for the sake of discussion ...

I think #7 is ok, if that is the point of the series. Some power trails seem to be set up with brute tactics like this in mind. The goal really is not for every team member to be the first to spot and individually sign every cache log with their own pen, but rather to complete the series as a whole by working together to get their team name on all the logs.

thoughts?

Ok I am still new to Geocaching, but have a Team Mate who is a Veteran. We opened an account for Finds that we do together and log them on our team page as well as our Individual Pages... If we work on a cache together and are both actively trying to find it then we both log it... But if we are after 2 that are close to each other then we do them separately and replace each for the other to find.. Does that sound about right??

my husband and I used to each have our own trail names but I changed mine to be more inclusive of the whole family... (both names we felt excluded the other - silly I know)

I'm usually the one who goes caching, either with the kids or a lot of times all alone (my husband works a lot and I really enjoy hiking and solitude) - so I'm signing when I'm alone and I'm using the family trail name.

One time while out with the whole family we did split up and I found one cache with one son and my husband did go to find another with the other two and one of their friends but they ended up not finding it... while they were looking I was thinking to myself if they found it I'd still want to go see it...

My sons all have their own trail names too but rarely ever use them or log online...

so - 8 - all of the above but 7 feels kind of funny to me

I can handle 1 through 3 easy enough. But on 4, 5, and 6, i want to not only see the cache's hiding spot, but be able to make it to it. For me, it's a no find if i don't do either. I'm usually the one who makes the grab of the harder to get to caches in our group and even though i wouldn't do it, i don't care if any of them claim a find when this happens. That's between them and the co.

On number 7,, NO WAY, NO HOW!

Here is a controversial suggestion, just to spice it up, I have mixed feelings my self but for the sake of discussion ...

I think #7 is ok, if that is the point of the series. Some power trails seem to be set up with brute tactics like this in mind. The goal really is not for every team member to be the first to spot and individually sign every cache log with their own pen, but rather to complete the series as a whole by working together to get their team name on all the logs.

thoughts?

I think a person needs to actively make a search for the cache. Yea, i know the hides are basically the same (you find the first, the rest are identical) on many power trails, but i still think that every member of the team needs to, at the very least, make it to ground zero and be there when the cache log is signed/stamped/stickered/etc,,.

thoughts?

I agree with this on power trails that are the same container over and over again. Plus I really don't care how other people cache, it's just a game and you don't win anything. :D As long as you're out there having fun then go for it, also saves time on those really big trails.

thoughts?

I agree with this on power trails that are the same container over and over again. Plus I really don't care how other people cache, it's just a game and you don't win anything. :D As long as you're out there having fun then go for it, also saves time on those really big trails.

So, is there a cut off point for how many people you can have on a team? I mean, what if your team consists of 100 people in 25 vehicles? Would it still feel right to you to log all 1000 caches when you actually found only 40 of them?

Like you said, as long as you're having fun i suppose. Well that, and as long as the cache owner has no objections.

thoughts?

So, is there a cut off point for how many people you can have on a team? I mean, what if your team consists of 100 people in 25 vehicles? Would it still feel right to you to log all 1000 caches when you actually found only 40 of them?

Like you said, as long as you're having fun i suppose. Well that, and as long as the cache owner has no objections.

Like I said I really don't care what someone else does. So you can "what if" all day and come up with all different kind of combinations and I still wouldn't care.

Edited by the4dirtydogs