SERVER DOWNTIME

KD7MXI

*I GOT THIS BY EMAIL*

Greetings from Geocaching.com -

At last we're moving our machines to the new location near Seattle's Space Needle.... tonight! So there will be some planned downtime somewhere between 8:00pm and midnight PST (and longer if there are any issues). We're also upgrading our database server which will result in a significant improvement in speed on the site. We'll do our best to make sure the move goes smoothly.

welcome to MY world!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CacheAcrossAmerica

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?u=KD7MXI

http://www.cachunuts.com

I'm glad SOMEONE posted a notice about this. While I do get email notification, I don't check those till I get home. When I'm out at work I will occasionally spend my break on Geocaching.com.

To me, this kind of announcment should have been posted a few days ahead of time in the Announcments forum and ALSO on the front page of the site. (At least on the front page put an announcment that there's a new announcment!!!)

Even thought it's too late, thanks for taking the time James. At least someone did.

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

I wonder if maybe the announcements only go to people who were going to get the weekly notifications anyway? Did those of you who didn't see the announcement have any new caches in your area last week?

Lots of people who needed to see that announcement wouldn't be caught dead in the forums. I think email was the proper way to send it. As you can see, they gave us plenty of warning and they at least intended to put information in the forums as it progressed, so don't be too hard on them:

quote:

April 20

Thanks to all who have chipped in with their Charter Memberships! As a result, we've been able to gather enough funds to purchase some badly needed upgrades and move our servers to a better facility. After the changes the site should be noticeably faster.

There will be some planned outages in the next week. We we will be physically moving the servers from one building to another, and DNS will change which means the site may act strangely. We'll try to keep everyone up to date in the forums as we go through the move.

quote:

April 26

Sadly, the upgrade this week was not to be. We have postponed the upgrade until the Groundspeak crew return from New Orleans next week, where we will be attending the .NET conference. If you're in the area, look for the Geocaching hats. I'll also be placing my Anger Deadly Duck Travel Bug there, which was rescued by the nice folks at the National Park Service. icon_smile.gif

warm.gif

I wonder if maybe the announcements only go to people who were going to get the weekly notifications anyway? Did those of you who didn't see the announcement have any new caches in your area last week?

Lots of people who needed to see that announcement wouldn't be caught dead in the forums. I think email was the proper way to send it. As you can see, they gave us plenty of warning and they at least intended to put information in the forums as it progressed, so don't be too hard on them:

quote:

April 20

Thanks to all who have chipped in with their Charter Memberships! As a result, we've been able to gather enough funds to purchase some badly needed upgrades and move our servers to a better facility. After the changes the site should be noticeably faster.

There will be some planned outages in the next week. We we will be physically moving the servers from one building to another, and DNS will change which means the site may act strangely. We'll try to keep everyone up to date in the forums as we go through the move.

quote:

April 26

Sadly, the upgrade this week was not to be. We have postponed the upgrade until the Groundspeak crew return from New Orleans next week, where we will be attending the .NET conference. If you're in the area, look for the Geocaching hats. I'll also be placing my Anger Deadly Duck Travel Bug there, which was rescued by the nice folks at the National Park Service. icon_smile.gif

warm.gif