Google maps, workaround

geo-jon

I'm loving this fix on my computers running Firefox. Anyone got any ideas how to make this work on my iphone running Safari or my not so smart LG phone running Opera mini? I don't use either to hide or seek caches, but they sure are handy for picking out caches that I want to look for when I'm out of town. Not being able to link to cache information from the maps makes the phones pretty much worthless as a means of researching caches.

got it to work. Yes, I installed the FLV player as it seemed to do that as part of the process (as opposed to a few programs I said no to), but in truth, not sure I have to use that or not. Anyone know if this FLV player is needed?

Apart from the FLV confusion, I see that now the Google maps work for me, assuming I use Firefox. That's cool.

UPDATE...I just removed FLV by uninstalling it and it seems to still work. So yeah, don't install that like I did.

those advertised downloads, the flv player usually have scumware that rides in with the app and doesn't get uninstalled with the app.

Sorry for my ignorance but how do i put it in chrome?

Downloadable from www.google.com

I am running chrome so what do I download from google?

You don't have to download anything from Google.

Go to http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926 and then click, "Install" in the upper right part of the screen.

I tried it comes up with save or discard. I click save it and it saves it to the HD. I don't get any other options

Google Chrome has some limited native support for many types of greasemonkey scripts. I tested this script in Chrome and it doesn't work. :(

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926

This one seems to work with Chrome.

Works in Chrome, but not getting the map options with it. The firefox one seems to be the best atm.

EDIT: Correction, map options working fine, but if you're from the UK and using the Ordnance Survey extension, you'll need to disable it first.

How did you get it into chrome?

Thank you very much for figuring this out! GreaseMonkey saves the day again... first for solving the "Load All Logs" fiasco, and now for the "Google Satellite View" debacle. It's a shame that the vast majority of geocaching.com users will never benefit from these scripts though, being as they require using a non-Internet Explorer browser and the installation of a plugin.

Has anybody tried this yet in IE using Trixie or IE7Pro?

Thank you very much for figuring this out! GreaseMonkey saves the day again... first for solving the "Load All Logs" fiasco, and now for the "Google Satellite View" debacle. It's a shame that the vast majority of geocaching.com users will never benefit from these scripts though, being as they require using a non-Internet Explorer browser and the installation of a plugin.

Has anybody tried this yet in IE using Trixie or IE7Pro?

Wait a minute. Could someone enlighten me on the Greasemonkey script to solve the "load all logs" fiasco?

Well, this maps workaround sure works good, can't complain thus far.

Wait a minute. Could someone enlighten me on the Greasemonkey script to solve the "load all logs" fiasco?

Some time last Fall, Groundspeak saw fit to change the way that log entries are displayed on every geocaching.com cache page. They claimed that loading all the log data at once was putting too much stain on their servers. Other technical users noted that the new display of user avatars might better explain the unwanted extra server load that geocaching.com's hardware was experiencing. In any event, a change was made to load the logs in batches as you scroll down each log page, instead of all at once, and it caused a major furor on the UserVoice* feedback system they were using at the time, rising quickly to be one of the top-rated complaints before that system was abruptly dumped.

The problem with this log display change is that it removed useful functionality. No longer could you easily search the entire log page for a particular entry or user. Nor did it easily allow you to start reading the logs in order from the beginning. You have to slowly scroll all the way to the bottom of the page (and there could be hundreds or thousands of entries) before you can see all the logs.

Then, thankfully, along came a Greasemonkey script to solve this problem, and it works quite well.

GcShowAllLogs: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/87009

* Note that UserVoice has since been killed off by Groundspeak:

http://www.geocaching.com/feedback/

http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2011/11/16/Groundspeak-puts-a-sock-in-uservoice/

Mods,

how about pinning this one to the top?

I doubt this will happen. The script uses an unauthorized method of accessing the Google Map tiles that bypasses the Google Maps API. This violates the Google Maps ToU. I can't see Groundspeak advertising a workaround that violates someone else's ToU by pinning it, and I'm actually surprised they're even allowing all this discussion of it.

For those of you using this script, keep this in mind:

I've only taken a cursory glance at the scripts, but they appear to be bypassing Google's API altogether. I've seen applications in the past that took advantage of the method these scripts appear to be using, and their use was tracked by IP address. If you used one of the app too much, you would find access to Google Maps blocked from that IP for the next 24 hours.

I am running chrome so what do I download from google?

You don't have to download anything from Google.

Go to http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926 and then click, "Install" in the upper right part of the screen.

Thanks for that bit from me as well... almost as easy as finding a WIC photo! This time it was your turn to teach.

Works good for me, except that they still need to work on the icons a bit... no way to discern PMO caches, except that their green, yellow etc. icon will disappear at a certain zoom level. They always did the vanish bit, but not so far out. Miss the browny red dot. Premium members won't have that problem though. Time will fix it I'm sure.

Doug 7rxc

Grrrrr, I really wanted to make some edits on the Chrome-compatible version of the plugin, but alas it is one of those plugins where the other has compressed it down to one single really gigantic, never ending line of javascript. Tried js beautifier but not even they could decipher it, LOL.

I installed the script and it does seem to work in Chrome, but I am not sure where to look to try to modify it (remove the map in some other language and change zoom levels). Any pointers on where to find the installed script?

Grrrrr, I really wanted to make some edits on the Chrome-compatible version of the plugin, but alas it is one of those plugins where the other has compressed it down to one single really gigantic, never ending line of javascript. Tried js beautifier but not even they could decipher it, LOL.

I installed the script and it does seem to work in Chrome, but I am not sure where to look to try to modify it (remove the map in some other language and change zoom levels). Any pointers on where to find the installed script?

Well, I found the local script and was able to modify it to change the tile server names that show up and remove the foreign map server. However, when I change the Hybrid to a max of 21 and the Terrain to a max of 15 ... these do not seem to affect the website which continues to allow me to try to zoom in past these limits and thus showing a black screen.

Am I doing something wrong or do these limits in the JS not affect the behavior of the actual website?

Is there a script that will bring the list of caches on the right side of the map? The map that would allow you to add index numbers to all the caches on the screen? I really liked that view, allowed me to identify them quickly. I don't necessarily need the numbers, but I'd love to have a scrollable list on the side of all the cache names shown in the pane. Before the 'beta' maps made the scene...

Woo hoo! it works! Thanks to who ever figured this one out! I will spread the word and this forum page!!! :)

Yep. I'm pretty stoked about this too... but you might want to consider your own signature line.

I had some doubts about making geocaching too easy for someone who couldn't figure out how to use a gps (iphones) and now, while I appreciate finding this thread, I think anyone who can't do that on their own should be allowed to just keep posting the same complaints over and over to the "HORRID" thread.

When I downloaded the magical script, there had been something like 1400 downloads. What would happen if it got to be a million?

Mods,

I doubt this will happen. The script uses an unauthorized method of accessing the Google Map tiles that bypasses the Google Maps API. This violates the Google Maps ToU. I can't see Groundspeak advertising a workaround that violates someone else's ToU by pinning it, and I'm actually surprised they're even allowing all this discussion of it.

I've only taken a cursory glance at the scripts, but they appear to be bypassing Google's API altogether. I've seen applications in the past that took advantage of the method these scripts appear to be using, and their use was tracked by IP address. If you used one of the app too much, you would find access to Google Maps blocked from that IP for the next 24 hours.

I'll try to kee[p my map loads to below 25,000 a day.

:ph34r:

Mods,

As far as I can tell, Mount10Bikes post was in reference to an earlier version of a GreaseMonkey scripts, which is different from the one that is being referenced in this thread.

Suppose the implementation of this new GM script *did* violate the Google Maps TOU and Google decides to do something about it. They're probably not going to go after the ~1400 (so far) people that downloaded the script but are going to contact Groundspeak. If that happens, what do you suppose Groundspeaks response will be? They can't really stop people from downloading a GM script, but they *can* change their TOU such that users are prohibited from using *all* GM scripts that change the behavior of their site.

Despite all the "woo hoos" about this script I'm still hesitant to use it without some sort of official response from Groundspeak regarding it's usage.

Mods,

As far as I can tell, Mount10Bikes post was in reference to an earlier version of a GreaseMonkey scripts, which is different from the one that is being referenced in this thread.

Suppose the implementation of this new GM script *did* violate the Google Maps TOU and Google decides to do something about it. They're probably not going to go after the ~1400 (so far) people that downloaded the script but are going to contact Groundspeak. If that happens, what do you suppose Groundspeaks response will be? They can't really stop people from downloading a GM script, but they *can* change their TOU such that users are prohibited from using *all* GM scripts that change the behavior of their site.

Despite all the "woo hoos" about this script I'm still hesitant to use it without some sort of official response from Groundspeak regarding it's usage.

And I think you will be waiting for a very long time. First off Groundspeak is not noted for it's open communication and secondly any comment regarding regarding it's usage, other than a comment discouraging it's use, would probably bring a letter from a Google lawyer. About as close as we are going to get is the comment from Moun10bike speculating that it probably bypasses the Google API.

I can't recall which forum topic I discovered this, but THANK YOU everyone who has shared this information and saved the day, getting us back our functioning maps, with terrain and satellite once again. HOORAY! I had never before used Firefox, but with all these cool add-ins, I may never go back.

I just checked the script referenced in this topic, and it still uses exactly the same method as the earlier script, so Moun10Bike's post still applies here.

I just checked the script referenced in this topic, and it still uses exactly the same method as the earlier script, so Moun10Bike's post still applies here.

Thanks. I had looked at the old script that Moun10Bike had commented on but not the most recent version.

Is there a script that will bring the list of caches on the right side of the map? The map that would allow you to add index numbers to all the caches on the screen? I really liked that view, allowed me to identify them quickly. I don't necessarily need the numbers, but I'd love to have a scrollable list on the side of all the cache names shown in the pane. Before the 'beta' maps made the scene...

+1 :)

Edited by kekemes