PQ won't load to older GSAK version

dad2jnk

Just recently I have problems loading PQ GPX into GSAK version 6.6.2. It has worked until now with the last load in January.

Did Groundspeak change the GPX format or is there an issue that I am not aware?

Thanks.

Ken

As of the last update of the geocaching Web site, Groundspeak is apparently now adding BOM (byte-order-mark) characters at the beginning of their GPX files, and it's causing lots of software to choke on the files. There's a discussion of the issue on the GSAK forums. The change was made to accommodate Unicode characters, or so I've read.

Based on that GSAK forum thread, you'll need to upgrade to at least GSAK 7.5 for the new GPX files to load. Alternatively, you can open the GPX file in a text editor and delete the first three characters in the file. That has apparently solved the problem for some users.

Clyde (the genius behind GSAK) has just made available a stand-alone utility program that will strip those characters from the beginning of a file. Click here for more information.

--Larry