Wild Canyon Games Oregon

I think this from Wikipedia pretty much sums up the situation here

A guideline is a statement by which to determine a course of action. A guideline aims to streamline particular processes according to a set routine or sound practice. By definition, following a guideline is never mandatory.

It's Groundspeak's website and they can choose to abide by guidelines as and when they choose. I would guess that they have gained some form of benefit for advertising this which should hopefully in some form benefit all that use the website, ie new features, keeping premium membership prices down etc.

The reason you have to abide by the guidelines, is that the site isn't a free advertising facility. Groundspeak however can advertise for anyone that they wish to receive money from. I have no issues with this.

Also on a case by case issue Groundspeak do give permission for commercially orienated caches. I have first hand experience of this and found them to be extremely accommodating.