Paperless for less

wingryder

Paperless caching is great. But what if you already have a decent (nonpaperless) receiver and like it. That was me. older Garmin. I bought a cheapie used Garmin Nuvi some time back.. used it very seldom when we go to the "city" maybe but that is about it. I stumbled up this link http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/ and was delighted to put the Nuvi to use.(the link is also in the pinned topics above. thank you Cacheoholic for your friendly and warm reminder)

This are available from about 35.00 up on the bay.. and make perfect paperless caching partners.

You will have the caches and the description plus logs on the device. I use it to get to the parking area.. then use my trusty 76S to home in on the cache. You can leave the Nuvi plugged into vehicle until you park.. so it is charged and ready. Plus it will alert you when you are close to a cache. Two key things are required. Pocket Queries and GSAK.

Pilotsnipes invested a lot of time and effort in showing us all how to do this and gets big thanks from me. I will let him explain it.

Your asking why not use your smartphone and handy cell tower and skip all the above?. You do not live and cache in the boonies.

thanks again pilotsnipes

wingryder

Edited by wingryder

Paperless caching is great. But what if you already have a decent (nonpaperless) receiver and like it. That was me. older Garmin. I bought a cheapie used Garmin Nuvi some time back.. used it very seldom when we go to the "city" maybe but that is about it. I stumbled up this link http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/ and was delighted to put the Nuvi to use.

This are available from about 35.00 up on the bay.. and make perfect paperless caching partners.

You will have the caches and the description plus logs on the device. I use it to get to the parking area.. then use my trusty 76S to home in on the cache. You can leave the Nuvi plugged into vehicle until you park.. so it is charged and ready. Plus it will alert you when you are close to a cache. Two key things are required. Pocket Queries and GSAK.

Pilotsnipes invested a lot of time and effort in showing us all how to do this and gets big thanks from me. I will let him explain it.

Your asking why not use your smartphone and handy cell tower and skip all the above?. You do not live and cache in the boonies.

thanks again pilotsnipes

wingrydere

"Old news"... well maybe. Never the less, I'll bet that more people will be interested in your thread, than those that will disregard its content as not worthy of reading. Being 'reminded' once in a while never hurt anyone!

There are always newcomers to this hobby, and to them your thread may in fact, be a revelation.

Thanks for chipping in with it.

Croesgadwr,

North Wales geo-cacher

Our " paperless" evolution :

1. Enter co-ords manually for each cache ( two units- Magellan Platinum ) and bring phone book size stack of print-outs.

2.Loaded caches into two units by computer and brought phone book size stack of print-outs.

3.Computer loading of caches in to two units and also in to 2 Palm M500 PDA's.

4. Same as 3 but upgraded to two Sony Clie' PJ25's and bought GSAK......bought 2 additional PJ25's for backup.

5. Added a Nuvi 780 to 4 above.

6. Bought Oregon 450 ( able to upload to computer )...load 2 Platinums as well but discontinued PDA's.

7. Purchased 62S and 2 additional 780's as backup and ability to bracket a caching area.

8. Current = GSAK loads a 62S, Oregon 450, Magellan Platinum ( or 60 CSx ),and between 1 and 3 Nuvi 780's ( depending on mission )