PayPal cancelled my geocaching membership

pdxmarathonman

I got a message from Paypal that my credit card on file was about to expire - so I updated the information. I had to supply a new card since my bank switched me from MasterCard to Visa since the time I registered with Paypal.

I removed the old card and added a new card, this triggered the following email from Paypal (I think it is the trigger at least):

------------------------------------------------

You have successfully cancelled your subscription to Groundspeak

Charter Member.

You will not be billed for this subscription again.

------------------------------

Cancellation Details:

Cancellation Date: July 16, 2002

Subscription Name: Groundspeak Charter Member

Subscription Number: S-yadayadayadayada

Item Number: GSPCHARTER

Contact Information

If you have any questions about this subscription, please contact

Groundspeak.

Business Name: Groundspeak

Contact Email: contact@geocaching.com

Contact Phone: 206-302-7721

Thank you for using PayPal subscriptions.

The PayPal Subscriptions Team

-----------------------------------------

I prepaid for a year, so I THINK they are just trying, in a non-graceful way, to tell me that I won't ever be able to send money to geocaching.com with my old credit card.

I just want to be sure my Charter Membership is intact.

Here's what you gota do with paypal... On the PayPal site, go to your 'profile', click on 'credit cards', add the new credit card and select it as 'Primary'. Now here is the key... do not remove the old card yet, but go to 'history' and look for the pulldown menu and select 'subsriptions', the select 'for the last year' and you'll see your subscription there. Now click on you 'active' status, and you will see your accounts. Select the new card and 'submit' it. Now you can go back to your profile and remove the old card, and you won't get the scary red message that you are about to dump your account.

Easy as pie, huh?

4497_300.jpg

I had the same thing happen to me.. I had done the $30 one time thing and then only the main board saw me as a member "KINDA" but I couldn't look at any member only Items.. Also the forums worked. Anyway I decided to "Re Subscribe" only this time I used the monthly $3 dollar option..

Jeremy was nice and had told me if I resubscribed he would refund the money.. I didn't need him to do that as I use the geocaching site alot and decided it was for a good cause!

quote:
Originally posted by pdxmarathonman:

I got a message from Paypal that my credit card on file was about to expire - so I updated the information. I had to supply a new card since my bank switched me from MasterCard to Visa since the time I registered with Paypal.

I removed the old card and added a new card, this triggered the following email from Paypal (I think it is the trigger at least):

------------------------------------------------

You have successfully cancelled your subscription to Groundspeak

Charter Member.

You will not be billed for this subscription again.

Cancellation Details:

Cancellation Date: July 16, 2002

Subscription Name: Groundspeak Charter Member

Subscription Number: S-yadayadayadayada

Item Number: GSPCHARTER

Contact Information

If you have any questions about this subscription, please contact

Groundspeak.

Business Name: Groundspeak

Contact Email: contact@geocaching.com

Contact Phone: 206-302-7721

Thank you for using PayPal subscriptions.

The PayPal Subscriptions Team

-----------------------------------------

I prepaid for a year, so I THINK they are just trying, in a non-graceful way, to tell me that I won't ever be able to send money to geocaching.com with my old credit card.

I just want to be sure my Charter Membership is intact.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

The FDIC statement is outdated. They now place your funds in an FDIC-insured bank so you have the same protection that you would have with a bank account. Of course this is really a seller issue than a buyer one. I just handle it by transferring funds out on a weekly basis.

Regardless, I do provide an alternative. You can send an annual check or money order to the address on the subscription page.

Although PayPal has their issues (and I want to wring their necks every couple of days), they are certainly pioneers in Internet payments. I agree they side with the buyer more often than the seller, but being in the eCommerce business in the past they have a hard battle to win with fraud. If you really want to pursue a good cause, attack the credit card companies.

Thanks for the tip, Eraseek! It's unfortunate that most folks will run into this issue after the fact, not before icon_frown.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

The FDIC statement is outdated. They now place your funds in an FDIC-insured bank so you have the same protection that you would have with a bank account. Of course this is really a seller issue than a buyer one. I just handle it by transferring funds out on a weekly basis.

Regardless, I do provide an alternative. You can send an annual check or money order to the address on the subscription page.

Although PayPal has their issues (and I want to wring their necks every couple of days), they are certainly pioneers in Internet payments. I agree they side with the buyer more often than the seller, but being in the eCommerce business in the past they have a hard battle to win with fraud. If you really want to pursue a good cause, attack the credit card companies.

Thanks for the tip, Eraseek! It's unfortunate that most folks will run into this issue after the fact, not before icon_frown.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location