Get corrected coordinates for Unknown cache on iPhone app?

branio

Hi folks.

I've bought the Geocaching official app for the iPhone. So far it is a great app.

But I've got a question:

When I solve the Unknown/Mystery cache at my computer and use the "Corrected coordinates" feature on the web site, the iPhone application doesn't reflect this. The only way to get to the corrected coords is to put them into a Personal Cache Note field, which is available to Premium users only. And even then it is a pain-in-the-a** to make an additional waypoint for me to navigate.

Either I'm doing it too complicate way or I just haven't found a way how to do it.

Could anyone help me?

Hello,

your problem is caused by the API. In PQs the "corrected coordinates" are submitted to your device. But your application (GC-app, c:geo, cachebox etc.) searches for updates (for example new logs) and uses the API. Unfortunately the API wasn't changed until now, it returns always the original coordinates.

see FEATURE

Best regards

Andreas

Search the cache on the iPhone, then click Navigate to cache then click the flag in the upper right. Name the waypoint what you want (corrected coords) and then input the new coordinates in the appropriate fields. When done, click done then tap the new flag on the navigation page, select the arrow and then Set As Target. that should give you a nav path to the new, corrected coordinates

Search the cache on the iPhone, then click Navigate to cache then click the flag in the upper right. Name the waypoint what you want (corrected coords) and then input the new coordinates in the appropriate fields. When done, click done then tap the new flag on the navigation page, select the arrow and then Set As Target. that should give you a nav path to the new, corrected coordinates

Thank you for the reply, but I already know "this way". And I mentioned it in my first post as problematic.

For creating an additional waypoint you need to have those coordinates somewhere. One possible way is to use the Personal Cache Note field on website and then rewrite them into new waypoint... And that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Hello,

your problem is caused by the API. In PQs the "corrected coordinates" are submitted to your device. But your application (GC-app, c:geo, cachebox etc.) searches for updates (for example new logs) and uses the API. Unfortunately the API wasn't changed until now, it returns always the original coordinates.

see FEATURE

Best regards

Andreas

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't tried the PQs yet, but it seems it might solve the thing.

And thank you for the link to your topic, I haven't found it before I posted my question. As they mentioned, they are "working on it" so I'm looking forward to see that implemented.

Hello,

see FEATURE

Best regards

Andreas

Hi there,

is there a chance to get the API being corrected? All the discussed workaround require action long time ago when seen form the actual find tries. I will try out the given solution by using a PQ - but to be honest - this is not what I really expect.

Kind regards,

Herwig aka H_M_A

Edited by H_M_A

Thank you! That helped so much!

Hi folks.

I've bought the Geocaching official app for the iPhone. So far it is a great app.

But I've got a question:

When I solve the Unknown/Mystery cache at my computer and use the "Corrected coordinates" feature on the web site, the iPhone application doesn't reflect this. The only way to get to the corrected coords is to put them into a Personal Cache Note field, which is available to Premium users only. And even then it is a pain-in-the-a** to make an additional waypoint for me to navigate.

Either I'm doing it too complicate way or I just haven't found a way how to do it.

Could anyone help me?

ummm.... sell your phone, buy an android, download NeonGeo, and it's all automatic. ;-)

just saying... :)

Are you sure that the coords downloaded are not the new ones. The current version of the API sends the corrected coords and a field with a yes/no on if they are corrected. The program doesn't differentiate between orig and corr but they should be corrected. Loading a PQ to your device as well as single download gpx will also give you corrected coords but no marker to say that.

ummm.... sell your phone, buy an android, download NeonGeo, and it's all automatic. ;-)

just saying... :)

It's automatic on the iPhone too. The OP was 18 months ago.

Just say'n..... :)

Are you sure that the coords downloaded are not the new ones. The current version of the API sends the corrected coords and a field with a yes/no on if they are corrected. The program doesn't differentiate between orig and corr but they should be corrected. Loading a PQ to your device as well as single download gpx will also give you corrected coords but no marker to say that.

Not sure how it looks for your and your iPhone, (I still have a 4s) but the corrected coords are set as a wpt with the title "corrected coordinates" and the numbers also listed. The dummy location is still a blue doohickey in its original location. So it's completely obvious when the app is sending your coords over or not.

It happens immediately too. I solve a puzzle, set the coords, open my app and the wpt is there.

Now, on my Garmin(Old school 60csx) I can't tell if they are the corrected coords or not. And back in the day when this post originally posted I would get two cache icons on my Garmin map for the same cache. One for the dummy coords and one for the corrected coords (I run a bookmark/PQ of solved puzzles). So I'd have to look up the cache on my iPhone to see which was which.

But that hasn't happened for a while.