In reply to Simply Paul's post...

Delta68

In reply to Simply Paul's post on another thread

Or to take the thread in a new, but related, direction, I saw this the other day - I thought ALR's (Additional Logging Requirements) were ok on caches, so long as they weren't intended to exclude people for silly reasons and the cache was listed as a puzzle/unknown and not as a trad... Has that ru- guideline been changed recently?

Edited to add, as the cache was set with the ALR back in 2008, wouldn't it be usual to regard it as Grandfathered even if the guideline had changed? It's not wildly different from Pretty in Pink for example.

ALRs were NOT Grandfathered in because a lot of them were just silly

The only ALRs which ARE are allowed are 'Challenge Caches'* where the finder has to have fulfilled a Geocaching related criteria beforehand

Pretty in Pink does not INSIST that finders wear the wig and I'm not aware of any logs being deleted due to non-compliance

*not to be confused with kiss-a-frog-challenges challenge.png

As the original setter of the cache pretty in pink has never ever ever been an ALR read the text a few people have declined.

Please be pretty and smile. Full instructions are available elsewhere. Remember this is just for fun. Sign the log book please. And try to follow the instructions.

Just like Krystal on her 10th birthday Kelly asked for her own special cache. Now as Kelly is a Barbie girl and into all things pink she asked for a doll’s cache. So here it is Kelly’s doll’s cache its initially full of dolls but don’t worry about sticking to the theme. Look out for the bonus cache.

ALRs were NOT Grandfathered in because a lot of them were just silly

The only ALRs which ARE are allowed are 'Challenge Caches' where the finder has to have fulfilled a Geocaching related criteria beforehand

Pretty in Pink does not INSIST that finders wear the wig and I'm not aware of any logs being deleted due to non-compliance

That seems both clear, and sensible. Thanks Delta68. I guess Messe should just make the dressing up optional. I've done a few non-puzzle puzzle-caches which I'd (and sometimes, the owner) call a Challenge Cache based on obligatory geocaching-related stuff, so it all makes sense now. Cheers again.

Apart from the '6 icons in a day' type Challenge Caches I've done (note to self- 11 icons in a day cache for the Geolympix, being downgraded to a 10/9 icons in a day one afterwards), what other ones are their out there? And any favourite (non-obligatory) ALRs people have found? I remember one which solly and I located while semi-naked (both wearing Biggles helmets) fondly... :)

Apart from the '6 icons in a day' type Challenge Caches... what other ones are their out there?

According to the Guidelines for Challenge Caches the very first rule is:

Challenge caches must contain the word "Challenge" in the cache name.

However, this is NOT enforced by the reviewers so it makes identifying them somewhat harder when searching.

The easiest way of finding other Challenge Caches is to locate a listing eg this one (a random non-pmo cache) and it is more than likely on a bookmark list with numerous others.

Mark

According to the Guidelines for Challenge Caches the very first rule is...
Excellent link. It also explains why The Curse of the FTF type caches - where the FTFer was required to set another cache - have been outlawed. Useful info; thanks again Mark.

What are people's general feelings about Challenge Caches? I'll give a for-example. Imagine we set a '1000-Plus' Challenge Cache in Oxford for the Geolympix, which can only be logged by people who've found over 1000 caches? Or a 'Happy-Hundred' cache for people who've attended over 100 caching meets? Would these: i) be cool or ii) exclude people who've found 998 caches or attended 99 meets for no very good reason? :unsure:

What are people's general feelings about Challenge Caches? I'll give a for-example. Imagine we set a '1000-Plus' Challenge Cache in Oxford for the Geolympix, which can only be logged by people who've found over 1000 caches? Or a 'Happy-Hundred' cache for people who've attended over 100 caching meets? Would these: i) be cool or ii) exclude people who've found 998 caches or attended 99 meets for no very good reason? :unsure:

OK, Lydford Locators have set quite few along those lines including: 100 events attended and 3000 trads found

We qualify for most of their challenges apart from the 100 events and the 50 Church Micros one. Church Micros are predominantly in the South so it's somewhat tougher for us in the Midlands to qualify :) but hey-ho, not a problem :D

Also, some Challenge Caches require potential finders to register an interest first so, for example, find caches to fill the D/T grid AFTER registering an interest. This sort of cache discriminates against cachers who already have a high number of finds eg The Somerset Well Rounded Cacher where previous finds don't qualify

Mark