New maps - scale

OckmentBells

I had been using the google maps to estimate distances between caches. How can I get a scale to display in the new maps as I zoom in and out? It's quite important for me to know that a pair of caches are 200m apart or 800m apart especially as I cache with 3-year olds in tow.

Until (if) a scale is implemnted on the maps, you can go to the listing page for one of the caches, and then click the link "...all nearby caches" below the listing. That will give you a straigh-line distance to nearby caches.

I don't like the new maps either--there's no scale listed, and it takes nearly 3 times (or more) as long to "load" a cache (really, the associated speech bubble) once it is clicked on. The maps are also not as detailed at the Google maps... for example, I am headed to Pittsburgh, PA in a few days, and wanted to visit the Pitt campus (and its geocaches)! I had to look up "University of Pittsburgh" through Google to figure out where it is on the MapQuest map instead of it already being included in the map beta and easily find-able just by panning the map around.

If I had a say in the map functionality, I would switch back to Google Maps in a heartbeat.

--kauf