Updated location field does not get reflected on the GPX File.

totorama

OK. I have a Garmin Oregon 550t and I use a pocket query to list all the caches within, say a 15 mile radius of my home location. The problem I have is that I like to work on puzzle caches and after solving the puzzle I will typically updated the 'Location Field' on the cache page. Then, whenever I open the web page I now see the new coordinates OK. But, if I load the GPX file OR a new pocket query into my GPS, it still has the old values. Which is of no use to me when I go looking for the cache. Likewise if I write the updated coordinates into the 'Personal Cache Note' field this does not get copied to the Garmin either. This feature of being able to make these changes is very useful, but does not make it compatible with paperless caching as I have to note the new coordinates on paper or create a Waypoint for the new location. Is this a bug or am I missing something..?

By your term "update(d) the 'Location Field' on the cache page"... are you saying that you actually alter the cache page?

Asking, because I cannot find such an animal on any cache page. I do not believe that it is possible for you to make an 'update' to a cache page of which you are not the Cache Owner.

To my knowledge, when you solve a puzzle or find a multi stage, you need to enter those coords into your unit as a waypoint, then go from there.

Whatever you put onto (into?) a cache page, aside from a log, will not be downloadable as a part of the cache's GPX file -- again, this is regarding a cache not owned by you.

I have not used the 'Personal Cache Note', but I do believe it would be visible only to you (your geocaching account username) when properly logged onto geocaching.com. It would not (should not) be downloadable as a part of the GPX file as it is not part of that file (which would be visible to all).

I could be wrong -- I have been before, and will be again -- but as I understand, you do need to create a waypoint on your GPSr.

That waypoint creation really doesn't have a bearing on whether a unit is paperless or not. Paperless is the ability to download info and upload info (log type/date and field notes) without the requirement to print or write notes to carry afield.

Thanks for the quick reply but I think you will find that you can change the coordinates by selecting the pencil icon to the right of the displayed field. I have changed several and it always asked you to confirm the changes. The new values are then show in an italic font, these new values are persisted even after you reload the browser. Of cause the changes are only seen by me, other users still get the original values much the same as the personal note field. It would just be nice if I could load the modified gpx and not have to mess with waypoints

Gitchee-Gummee, I believe they're talking about the "update coordinates" feature. When you look at a cache page, next to the coordinates, there is a little pencil icon. You click that and you can update the coordinates. It's a relatively recent update, within the past couple months if I'm not mistaken.

totorama, I don't know why you'd be having issues, I used it last weekend to update a puzzle cache, used the "Send to GPS" plugin, and the updated coordinates showed up in my GPSr. But that was before the latest site update, so perhaps something in the new update broke it. Might want to send in a bug report if it's not working for you.

I hear ya, hzoi, and am glad you jumped in. 'Cuz I am lost. :)

Is funny though, I have looked at a number of cache pages tryin' to find that 'pencil' icon -- my caches, my found caches, my not found caches....... I don't see the dang thing!

No matter, I hope you can help them along.

EDIT to add: D'oh.... I found it. Ya gots to look at a multi.....

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I just checked, by running a new PQ in an area where I have 8 solved puzzles with edited coords on the cache pages.

I did get the edited coords in the PQ - I opened it in GSAK, and then went back to the cache pages on a couple to verify that the coords I received are the same as edit coords, which are in italicson the cache page. (Is there a better way to know whether the coords are corrected or original bogus?)

Anyway, to totorama, I'm wondering if the problem is on your end, perhaps a failure to overwrite old data (no corrected coords) with new data? "But, if I load the GPX file OR a new pocket query into my GPS, it still has the old values. "

Try opening the new GPX or PQ in some software, see whether it's got the corrected coords.

Thanks for all the input, I'll try it again, it may be something to do with having the pocket query gpx loaded (that maybe has the old data) then loading the modified (send to device) gpx loaded over the top. One further thing I can do is actually open the gpx file with a text editor (haven't tried that yet).. But if others are find it it works ok it must be my end.

Hello,

your problem is caused by the API. In PQs the "corrected coordinates" are submitted to your device. But your application (GC-app, c:geo, cachebox etc.) searches for updates (for example new logs) and uses the API. Unfortunately the API wasn't changed until now, it returns always the original coordinates.

see FEATURE

Best regards

Andreas

Thanks to everyone for the input so far. However, I'm still getting nowhere with this.. I thought the problem may have been with the way I was sending the file to the GPS, I originally used the 'Send to my GPS' option from the web page. So I tried downloading the .GPX file and then copied and replaced the file on my GPS. I then noticed that the new .GPX file was a lot bigger than the file already on the device. (File on the device was 8.43Kb the new file was 14.6Kb).. Anyway, after I checked the description field on the GPS. it still shows the old unmodified values for the coordinates... What I can't check without actually going to the cache, is whether the coordinates that the GPS is taking me to are indeed correct and maybe its just the description field that is wrong..

Edited by totorama

It has been stated elsewhere that the PQ generator does not use the 'user-corrected'/'user solved' co-ordinates, whereas a single download of the cache .gpx file will include these numbers.

I think the talk of updating the PQ .gpx schema has been going on for about a year now, but I guess there is some difficulty in deciding how they are going to be changed. The process needs to be done carefully so that programs that rely on the specific format don't get broken.

AZcachemeister. Even when I load the single GPX file I still get the old values. Funny thing is if I load the same GPX file into the Geocaching app on my iPhone it works OK. The next thing I have to try is to delete ALL the GPX files from the GPSr, including the PQ file, then upload the single modified GPX file. Incidentally, I have the Garmin Oregon and Garmin Colorado and both give the save results.

TomToad. Good idea regarding GSAK, I hadn't thought of that route, I'll try that tomorrow.

Further Update.

Tried the following procedure:

1. Deleted ALL GPX files from the device

2. Copied over the GPX file with the modified location field to the device, (used file copy NOT 'Send to MY GPs')

3. Powered up the device and selected the Geocaching option

4. Get the message 'No Geocaches found' Funny...

5. Transferred a non-modified GXP file to the device and powered up the device again..

6. I now see the single, (un-modified) cache OK (The modified one is still missing)

7. Tried again to copy the 'modified' file to the device but this time with the 'Send to MY GPs' option

8. This time I do see both caches and 'What do you know', the modified one shows the correct modified values...

9. Re-loaded the PQ that contains ALL the caches in my local area. (including all my modified caches)

10. Rechecked the values of the modified cache as loaded in step 7... STILL OK

11. Checked other modified caches that were part of the PQ. They still show the UN-modified values.

Conclusion:

a. Modified GPX files do not get loaded correctly as a stand alone file (Maybe a parsing error of the XML file), but seem to work OK if 'sent' to the empty device.

b. I.e. if the devices is cleared of ALL GPX file then, the modified files are loaded using the 'Send to MY GPs' all is OK

Even after loading the PQ GPX file.

Seems to be a problem with how the files are parsed when loading..

But hey what do I know at least I have a work around for the time being.

7. Tried again to copy the 'modified' file to the device but this time with the 'Send to MY GPs' option

8. This time I do see both caches and 'What do you know', the modified one shows the correct modified values...

9. Re-loaded the PQ that contains ALL the caches in my local area. (including all my modified caches)

When doing the above steps, did you leave the single-cache GPX file (step 7) on there when you added the PQ file (step 9)? You can run into unexpected things when the same cache is in multiple files.

I just did some testing myself. I modified the coordinates for a cache I recently found. I then tried the "GPX file" button, "Send to My GPS", and created a PQ to include it along with 6 other caches. In all cases, the GPX file contains the modified coordinates. I really can't figure out why you're not getting the modified coordinates.

Yes I did have just the one GPX file loaded (step 7) and then loaded the PQ that had the same cache included in the PQ. However, I think you have a point in the way I load the updates. Typically I load the PQ that contains ALL the caches in my area every Friday. (it's always the same file name so just replace the old file on the GPSr). I may then modify one of the caches and load that as a seperate file. I assumed it would just overlay the details in the PQ file. Do I understand from what you are saying that this may cause problems? BTW Thanks for trying it out

totrama- I have noticed the same thing. If I modify the coords on a puzzle cache for a cache that I have already have on my 550t, say from a PQ or a previous download, it will not change or update the file on my GPSr. It's something that has been bugging me for a while but I've never known what to do about it. Deleting the gpx on the GPSr doesn't seem to help. I just been put in a waypoint for them. But if it's cache that I have NEVER EVER had on my GPSr, the modified coords copy over just fine. Go figure.

Edited by Brooklyn51