Going back to Cornwall, de do da day!

We are staying in Camelford towards the end of May. I am sooo excited I have been trying to keep off asking this till nearer the time but I can't wait. I know there have been several threads on this before and I have had a quick look through them and spotted some great suggestions.

We haven't been back since April 2008 when we got married at Carnglaze, and spent our honeymoon in a splitscreen VW and as much as we love our Suffolk coastal home, we are both seriously suffering withdrawal symptoms for craggy coastlines and windswept tors.

For nostalgic reasons the caverns will probably be on our list of revisits and a detour to Golitha Falls, possibly one of my favourite bits of England, I fancy a walk to Rocky Valley, we did the walk from Tintagel to Boscastle (not recommended for very hungover suffolk softies, blast that local moonshine they fed us in the pub the night before) and then found out we had hardly seen this hidden gem and the caches there seem to come recommended.

We may cycle some of the camel trail, the easiest bit, we are thinking tandems might be fun (so I can do the old anchor advert and pedal as little as possible ;)).

Mr wants a day :blink: in the Port William at Trebarwith Strand (this may will possibly be shortened to a couple of hours incorporated in a good walk) any other stunning pub locations welcome.

And as its Mr's 40th we are going back to Lundy for the day.

I also am trying to convince him he can walk from Camelford to Brown Willy and back, I found this website for holiday cottages which lists 30 walks in the area and also pinpoints geocaches in some of the walk descriptions, which gave me the idea.

We are going with a couple of friends and I am not allowed to plan the whole trip around caching and I know if we do all the above we will have a pretty full itinerary anyway but any not too hard but interesting suggestions either for caches or great walks in the area I can incorporate into other activities or pubs or something (no-one will notice will they).

Thank you for the help in advance as I know you all will.

Did I say I am getting excited.

Edited by The Real Boudica.

We spent a couple of weeks there last year and really enjoyed all the walks and caches along the coast path.

We also did several multi's and puzzles that were well worth a visit.

GCX4R4 Trebetherick: homage to a poet.

GC14BCZ A Doom bar mystery

GC1DF05 The Rumps Ramble

We did all these on one day combining the walk.

GC2N0NH The Wherigo at Boscastle was also worth doing, as was another multi - GC1FD96 Crantock from Garden to Cowshed.

I hope you have a lovely time, I'm feeling most jealous just remembering the weeks we had there.

Karon

We spent a couple of weeks there last year and really enjoyed all the walks and caches along the coast path.

GC1DF05 The Rumps Ramble

GC2N0NH The Wherigo at Boscastle was also worth doing, as was another multi - GC1FD96 Crantock from Garden to Cowshed.

I hope you have a lovely time, I'm feeling most jealous just remembering the weeks we had there.

Karon

I love Cornwall too and go there quite a bit... I enjoyed the Tintagel Wherigio as well as the Boscastle one - Nice Tea Rooms available near both ;0)

But they are puzzles :mad: Well I might be able to work them out they don't look too tricky, might be a good way of getting him involved too.

Seriously though, thank you Karon, they are all around one of our favorite areas and if we can figure them out they look great. We had a memorable clifftop walk at Polzeath on the very very very windy December weekend in 2007 watching some nutter out kite surfing, think he realised his mistake when he got to the shore and collapsed in a heap! (Followed by a trip to Trevose Head for nostalgia's sake as we used to stay near there when I was a nipper, it was so windy it lifted the car up and moved it back 3' off the cliff top, thank god it was blowing inland :o . Thats why I love Cornwall.)

Never tried a Wherigo, looked into them a few weeks back as they look fun but we have none near me :( I will download the app and have a play around, I seem to remember there where some sort of virtual Wherigo cartridges you could download, that weren't location specific which might give me more of an idea what they are all about.

We were visiting family in Cornwall last summer so took some time to do a bit of caching, these were our faves:

GCMTM2 Delford bridge micro - Not the most amazing cache but the (it's a film canister if I remember rightly) but the place is fab in the summer, if it's a hot day it's great for spending the day, and paddling. Take an inflatable boat if you have one. It's a small river (in the summer) with a bridge, hence the name. perfect for days with the kids. like being at the beach, but in the middle of Bodmin Moor! :-)

GC13TKK, A little bit of cheese. We really enjoyed the walk on this one, wasn't too far for little legs, some fun (safe) scrambling at GZ. Plenty of rocks to climb over.

GC2K9E1, if you like a good beach, like a bit of a climb and love being in full view and using loads of stealth then this is a good cache, I enjoyed this one just because you have to be very sneaky, but looking at the logs it may have gone, worth keeping an eye out though. GZ is up above the beach in FULL view of everyone on the beach.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the ideas guys - GCMTM2 Delford bridge micro - we might take our inflatable canoe with us actually so that might be the spot for a bit of light paddling.

I already have the bideford quay ones in my bookmark list thanks.

To Mrs B and Stuey, all suggestions welcome, you never know where you might end up on an adventure.

Amberel, that looks like the type of cache for the other half to enjoy actually, he has been known to act like a mountain goat on occasion, but, I would have to follow to log it!! Then if you can do it ;)

Will you guys head to the South Coast? Some Mevagissey/Portmellon way which means that you can also check out Heligan gardens at the same time. No what I meant was Heligan is well worth visiting and, as it's so close to some caches, it would be a shame not to find them? Beans999 has some good ones. x

I've heard rumours of a forthcoming set of caches at Heligan...

We may go down south, I have always quite fancied a look around Heligan. The friends we are going with want to do the Eden Project, been there done that, very good but don't fancy paying the HUGE entrance fees again, (I got a horrific cold, ignored hubby when he told me to put my jacket back on after the hot zone, bad cold and camping in the rain = :( memories) so we could go there instead.

Birdman, do you mean caches actually in the gardens?

What a welcome home to read there may be happenings in Heligan!!! Always thought about approaching them. Huzzah! TRB - we get local tickets to Eden but I do get your point about the cost. Heligan has got more expensive but really worth it. If you head this way and do some caching let me know - you are welcome for a cuppa!!

GC1DF05 The Rumps Ramble

Karon

Many thanks for all the suggestions but as suspected we had a pretty full week and we didn't manage to get to any suggested caches, my companions were getting a bit annoyed with me to be frank and so I was only able to grab a few along the way in the most part, can't believe I actually manged to solve the above puzzles but didn't get to find them while I was there.

Hi if you are getting the oldenburg from Bideford you could always do the 2 in victoria park, 1 on the slipway and 1 on the quay while waiting for the boat.

The plan was there, unfortunately certain people were late getting ready (I don't do early mornings but seriously when you have to just get on with it) the morning dawned thick fog so the journey took longer than planned and we arrived at the boat with only about 10 mins to spare instead of the requested 45. Not that I was panicking at all :angry: . I was tempted to make them wait on the way back as punishment for raising my stress levels but it was hubby's 40th B Day and we were keen to get back for a few pints.

I think my most memorable cache just because of the challenge (suffolk softie) was Kernows Highpoint on Brown Willy but another lovely one was Wonderful Woodland Waterfall Walk for the hidden gem of a location.

I think all of the caches were fairly standard containers(limited due to antsy hubby not liking the hanging around that might have come with more ingenious ones) but in stunning locations. There are so many places to hide them but still with a challenge especially on the moors.

Edited by The Real Boudica.