Recommendation: New Post Sort Order

viajante

When clicking on the world globe above the tabs at the top of any forum listing page, you get a pop-up menu with the options to view forum posts that are "New since your last visit" and "Todays active topics".

Choosing the "New since your last visit" option results in a listing of posts that have been made since your last visit, which are in descending order by the date and time posted. This is OK, to a point. Where it starts to become cumbersome is if if you don't log in every hour. You can have several pages of posts listed and it becomes difficult trying to remember which one's you've reviewed or not as you wade through the list.

There are four columns of information on this page: forum, subject, author, and date posted. I'm guessing this is a simple SQL statement with an ORDER BY date_posted DESC clause. I think it would be beneficial if the user could somehow customize the order of the query results.

Even if they could select only a single colum to sort on, you could still automatically add the date and time to the sort order; i.e., ORDER BY forum ASC, date_posted DESC

What I'd really like to see is the ability of the user to ORDER BY forum ASC, subject ASC, date_posted DESC, but I realize that would probably be difficult to implement.

Whaddaythink?

-Al

To me it seems like a good idea icon_biggrin.gif

But,whether the idea does work out is another story icon_rolleyes.gif

Did you say you want to go on ANOTHER geocacheing trip?

We outsource our forums, but I'll ask Elias if there is an option to make this change. If we can't do it easily we can request it as a feature for future releases of UBBx.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
We outsource our forums, but I'll ask Elias if there is an option to make this change. If we can't do it easily we can request it as a feature for future releases of UBBx.

Cool! I don't know how many other's use this part of the forums, but I suspect that such a change would be beneficial for those who do. Thanks for the response!

-Al