SUBMITTED (33713) - GPX files won't display in memory map any longer!

Birdwatchdave

Since the upgrade on the 14th I have downloaded a couple of pocket queries and have found that the main gpx file will not display in memory map any longer. The waypoints will though! I have asked a friend to check this on his machine and he also has the same problem! Has the gpx file format changed in any way as the file size for a 1000 cache pocket query does seem a little smaller. Does any one have any more info on this issue.

Go to Your Account Details page and scroll down to the bottom. In the box on the left "Your Preferences" is a "GPX Version".

I believe that needs to be set to 1.0 to work with Memory Map.

I have changed the gpx version as suggested and ran another query but the result is still the same with no caches displayed on the map. The waypoints however still display as normal. The gpx version 1.0.1 has worked fine with memory map in the past but it was a good idea to try the old version. All my previous queries which I ran before the 14th still work fine so I think this is something to do with the recent upgrade. I've asked geocom to investigate but have had no repy as yet.

1.0.6 of what? They're obviously not talking about the GPX version, as it's never been above 1.0.1. And Memory Map itself is at v5.4.4. I wonder what they're referring to? :unsure:

I am using an old version of memory map version 4.4.3 but would be interested to know if anybody out there is running the latest version of memory map and is having the same problem! Edited by Birdwatchdave

Don't know if this is the problem or not, but since the 2/14 update Groundspeak is sticking a BOM on the beginning of of the .gpx files. Even though the .gpx files have the encoding=UTF-8, they are still putting the Byte Order Mark characters at the beginning. It broke other programs. Not sure if they need to put that in the file.

Don't know if this is the problem or not, but since the 2/14 update Groundspeak is sticking a BOM on the beginning of of the .gpx files. Even though the .gpx files have the encoding=UTF-8, they are still putting the Byte Order Mark characters at the beginning. It broke other programs. Not sure if they need to put that in the file.

Thanks for the heads up on this one as this seems to confirm what I found by loading an old query up in a hex editor and comparing it with the recent gpx files. There are 3 new characters right at the biggining of the text string (I presume this is the BOM you mentioned).

if you delete the 3 characters and then save the file the .gpx file works fine in memory map as normal. This text string doesn't appear on the waypoints.gpx file so this hasn't been effected in memory map.

I will report this back to geocaching.com and see what they have to say.

This issue was caused by the addition of a byte order mark (BOM) at the start of the GPX files generated by the site in preparation for handling Unicode. While this is allowable practice, it is not recommended and has broken some third-party applications. Since the BOM is not necessary for UTF-8 files, we will be removing it in our next site release, currently scheduled for Feb. 28th.

and now the forum is crashing?

I just copied new pocket queries to my android & GEOBEAGLE is crashing. It says the pocket query has bad data & error in parsing.

I'm going on an RV trip & was looking forward to geocaching. Now I have NOTHING. All my old queries were replaced with DEFECTIVE ones.

I hope I'm not the only one to have this issue.

Thanks for any help

Looking forward to the fix for this issue on March 13th, but just want bring a workaround to the head of the posts until then. As mentioned in an earlier post, load the GPX file into a binary editor (there are a few free ones on the web) and remove the first 3 characters (non-printable characters, hence the need for a binary editor). Save the file again and load into memory map. This works fine.