kf4tap

Oddly I never though it would interest me after ALL THOSE YEARS AS An Infantry man in the army, However, I am interested. although I really don't want to spend cash on a GPS. 1) how many folks use a map and compass? 2) where do you find a protractor to us with USGS maps, the scales are different than Military maps. 3) How do I find local cachers? (SP) to me here in Mo.?

Keith

Oddly I never though it would interest me after ALL THOSE YEARS AS An Infantry man in the army, However, I am interested. although I really don't want to spend cash on a GPS. 1) how many folks use a map and compass? 2) where do you find a protractor to us with USGS maps, the scales are different than Military maps. 3) How do I find local cachers? (SP) to me here in Mo.?

Keith

Welcome Keith!

I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do what I can...

You don't have to buy a GPS to hunt, but one is required to hide. If you have a smart phone you can probably get an app that you can use and you can certainly use maps.

1) I don't know how many but there are some that have thousands of finds without ever touching a GPS

2) I haven't looked for one but a web search should find a lot of places and I'm sure there are people hanging around here that do know of places.

3) Which part of MO? I'm in the SW corner but it's a big state. If you're in SW feel free to contact me directly via my profile. You can watch for event caches in your area and attend some of those to meet local cachers. There are also forums for specific areas although I haven't had a lot of luck finding any information or contacts in my local area, the event I attended was way better for that.

Thanks a lot, I guess I should posted that I'm out side of Houston (Mo) Se Mo. I looked at the sites in the Houston area, and using the driving directions would put some one close to a cache. Actually I think I'll try a couple tomorrow.

I'll look at the smart phone, as I have a BB i'm thinking of reactivating. Also I guess I'll watch ebay and Amazon for inexpensive units.

I'll do a lot more reading and watching.

Keith

3) How do I find local cachers? (SP) to me here in Mo.?

Keith

Hiya Keith,

You could try looking at the Local Geocaching Group forum page for GeoCaching people/groups in your area. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=198818

Also, looking for a GPS? Try looking on Craig's List and the GeoCaching "GPS Garage Sale" forum page. http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=13

Good luck to you! I am new to GeoCaching as well (only found 1 cache) but I am already completely hooked!

Do be careful about buying a used GPS.

The technology for GPS's advances faster than for computers, if you can imagine that, so it doesn't take much to get an outdated GPS.

Read the forum sections on choosing a GPS.

Go on some hunts first though, and make sure it's for you.

If you can use a phone to start it's a lot cheaper. Groundspeaks app is only ten bucks. That's a whole lot cheaper than a GPS.

Newer GPS's nowadays have come down dramatically in prices for "paperless" caching. That means you can load a lot of info off of the cache page right into the GPS. It makes it all so much easier. It used to cost a whole lot for one of those machines, but now they make then in the 150.00 range and up.

If you find someone at an event to cache with you can get a look at someone's GPS and see what it's like to use it.

Have fun!!!