Can I leave this in a cache?

tozainamboku

I have something I want to leave in a cache. As far as I can tell, this thing would not fall under any of the items that should not be left in a cache. The item is family-friendly and is not likely attract animals or melt or leak due to heat or cold.

However, I would like to let others know it is there, either so they they will come and trade for it (if they are collectors of this thing) or so that they will know to leave in the cache (for those who are interested in seeing this). If I mention on the cache page that I have left the item it might be seen as a violation of the commercial or solicitation guidelines. After all someone may see that I am leaving this thing and they might want to leave something similar themselves. That could conceivably could lead to more business for the company associated with the thing and you might argue that by mentioning that it is in the cache I have given the company free advertising. :unsure:.

I think I might be able to describe the item and avoid mentioning it by name, but I'm not sure if that would be satisfactory to the reviewer. If I can't describe the item and how it should be used, then I'm afraid that cachers will not know what it is.

BTW, if you think you know what this is, it does not begin with either an M or a P. If it did this thread would probably be locked and removed entirely by a moderator. Let's just say this is something that Groundspeak isn't aware of yet.

I also asked my local park if I could hide a geocache. They said "no" because the geocaching game requires that people sign up for an account on a commercial website in order to get the coordinates. They have strict rules against commercial use of the park. They said if I wanted, I could hide a container and post the coordinates on the park's bulletin board, but I couldn't list the cache on a commercial website :( .

I also asked my local park if I could hide a geocache. They said "no" because the geocaching game requires that people sign up for an account on a commercial website in order to get the coordinates. They have strict rules against commercial use of the park. They said if I wanted, I could hide a container and post the coordinates on the park's bulletin board, but I couldn't list the cache on a commercial website.

Trivial solution #1: Post the coordinates on the park's bulletin board and list the cache on gc.com. People have the option of not signing up for an account if they don't want to.

Trivial solution #2: Create a puzzle cache on gc.com. If you do it right, people can determine the coordinates without having to sign up for an account.

Edited by CanadianRockies

I've made some ice-cream container size cache's reading to hide this weekend. I've taped my business card to the inside of the lid. I figure that there is nothing in the rules against it and as I went through the time to put the cache together, I should be allowed to.

EDIT: Just found this in the rules:

"Geocaches do not solicit for any purpose.

Commercial geocaches are disallowed."

Edited by HicksFam

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there is any restriction on what someone can actually put in a cache (other than the obvious dangerous items), nor anything the reviewer can do about logs stating such-and-such commercial item was left in a cache.

Once the cache is reviewed and listed, post a note about leaving whatever it is in there. If you have to, use a sock account.

As for your park issue, you could point out the several free smartphone apps that allow people to get co-ordinates without signing up for an account at Geocaching.com.

I've made some ice-cream container size cache's reading to hide this weekend. I've taped my business card to the inside of the lid. I figure that there is nothing in the rules against it and as I went through the time to put the cache together, I should be allowed to.

The solicitation and commercial bits of the guidelines so not apply to cache content, only the cache page.

I also asked my local park if I could hide a geocache. They said "no" because the geocaching game requires that people sign up for an account on a commercial website in order to get the coordinates. They have strict rules against commercial use of the park. They said if I wanted, I could hide a container and post the coordinates on the park's bulletin board, but I couldn't list the cache on a commercial website :( .

The rules sound similar to... :rolleyes:

The solicitation and commercial bits of the guidelines so not apply to cache content, only the cache page.

Ah, yes, thanks for clearing that up.

Tell that to the guy who started an "M" thread (as refered to by Toz in the OP) that was completely obliterated out of existance in Getting Started yesterday. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck