DeLorme Earthmate PN-30

medwardl

Reviews:

Geocaching.com

Amazon.com

One of the shortest lived models in DeLorme's line - in production for less than a year and discontinued in July'10. Only buy one if you get a swinging great price, like under $120 -- or maybe if you're thinking of it as a collector's rarity -- or you really really like that shade of green.

Okay, seriously: Unless you found a PN-30 for a great price, a used PN-40 or a new PN-60 would be a better deal. That's if you're really attracted to the DeLorme products in particular. If you're not fixated on DeLorme, don't overlook Garmin's offerings.

What GPS are you using now, and what features are you looking for specifically in a new one?

---

Edit to add: Reviewed old posts and see you have been thinking (and asking advice) about replacing a Magellan Triton at least since October. Back then you hinted a budget of around $300. Anything changed since then? You could but a decent outdoor unit AND have some left over for a car unit with that kind of money.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

I was using a Magellan Triton 300 didn't like it was told it had an SD slot when it arrived it did not. No way to return it used it for about a week and got rid of it and went back to using my laptop and gps receiver. I'd like a unit with decent battery time AA's preferred don't like internal batteries unless they have several days of operational time between charging. I would also like a sdhc slot for maps because I'll use a couple of programs and pull maps off Google so i have decent street and satellite maps I like detail so the maps will be quite large in file size. Other than that as long as it's waterproof accurate and can use gpx files that's really all I want.

Ya around October I said around 300 i could still spend that but I'm thinking about doing around 150 - 200 at this point Kinda wanna do a little work on my car before i start driving all over hell and back.

Edited by medwardl

..... I would also like a sdhc slot for maps because I'll use a couple of programs and pull maps off Google so i have decent street and satellite maps I like detail so the maps will be quite large in file size. Other than that as long as it's waterproof accurate and can use gpx files that's really all I want...

For $224, check this:

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-PN-60-Portable-Navigator/dp/B0031QNP8O

It can host a 32GB SDHC card for your photo imagery. However, the imagery must be aquired using DeLorme's $30 annual subscription whereby one can download an unlimited amount during the year.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?item=28705

Ya around October I said around 300 i could still spend that but I'm thinking about doing around 150 - 200 at this point Kinda wanna do a little work on my car before i start driving all over hell and back.

At today's price on the PN-60 quoted above, you would have the features of the PN-30, plus a slightly faster unit with a built in "electronic" compass, plus bundled routable topo street maps of the US/Canada. You can worry about satellite pictures later.

... decent battery time AA's preferred ... I would also like a sdhc slot for maps ... decent street and satellite maps... waterproof accurate ... around $150 - $ 200 ...

For $185 you can have an eTeex 20. Waterproof, accurate, and has outstanding battery life. It doesn't have an SD card slot but does have 1.7GB of internal memory for loading maps - you can get a lot of free maps from GPSFileDepot and elsewhere, you can build/load imagery of your own, or pay $30/year for a BirdsEye subscription from Garmin.

Edited by Portland Cyclist