kind of a newbie question

tsnyder88

my dad is up in Montana for work and he is also doing some cacheing up there and i had to help him with the find he using my old gps and i had to tell him how to use it over the phone and then i helped with the find of the cache because the unit does not have paperless cacheing on it and what i was wondering is he signed the log book for me would it be ok if i logged the cache on line? or would that be frowned upon by the geocaching rules

i am not a newbie at geocaching i just have not had this come up before

Edited by tsnyder88

i know that several families in my area share one account.

Sharing an account is fine. If one of the members of that family/group/account found the cache, then the account found it. However, if it were separate accounts, I wouldn't do it. Think of it this way: Did that specific cacher name actually find the cache?

Personally, if I saw a log on one of my caches that said something along the lines of "I wasn't actually there, but someone signed for me", I'd delete the log and deal with any possible repercussions with appeals. I expect a finder to at least be within eyesight of the cache. It's fine if someone stands at the bottom of a slope while another signs the log, but not several states away or halfway around the world. That's just me, though.

I assume because you've asked the question here that you're thinking it may not be right. Do what you feel comfortable doing, but you've now seen my opinion on the matter.

I wouldn't do that, but there is nothing stopping you.

[RANT]

One of my pet peeves is 'team' accounts that split the team and log caches in disparate areas.

e.g. Husband goes and finds caches in the mountains, while the wife stays in town and logs caches there.

If you are going to be 'Team XYZ', then X, Y, and Z should each be present for every find registered/logged.

Otherwise, there should be separate accounts for X, Y, and Z.

[/RANT]

If you have ask I suspect that you feel that it might not be kosher. Go with your heart. Most geocachers I know would not log that sort of find, but there is a segment of cachers who will log anything as long as it adds to their find count. Do whichever feels right to you. In the end it's between you, your conscience and the cache owner.

It was my understanding that to claim a found it smile you had to actually sign the log I guess if you want to have someone do it for you then whatever but I would suggest that you keep true to the spirit of the hobby I have a bad habit of checking logs for my hard ones to see if the physical logs match the online ones and delete any online finds that are not there :anitongue: {here are your missing periods} .......... :lol:

[RANT]

One of my pet peeves is 'team' accounts that split the team and log caches in disparate areas.

e.g. Husband goes and finds caches in the mountains, while the wife stays in town and logs caches there.

If you are going to be 'Team XYZ', then X, Y, and Z should each be present for every find registered/logged.

[/RANT]

So Team Pixos Y & Z are in school today; does that mean I shouldn't have gone after the FTF that I shared today?

[RANT]

[/RANT]

So Team Pixos Y & Z are in school today; does that mean I shouldn't have gone after the FTF that I shared today?

That's different from what his peeve is about. He's talking about different team members actively finding caches in two different areas and each logging their finds. I don't think it would make sense for one team member to stay at home if the other has gone an a business trip and has time to find a few caches. That probably just doesn't happen often enough for anyone to be concerned about.

However, if Team Pixos Y & Z went out caching in different areas at the same time you were bagging that FTF and you specifically went to different areas so that you can logs as many caches as possible that, to me, is a bit cheesy.

I remember seeing a team a while ago, can't remember where they were based, but they were racking up hundreds of finds a month. Apparently the husband and wife were geographically separated and both were caching heavily in their respective areas.

We're a husband and wife team, but normally we either cache together or I (husband) go out solo. I think the better half of team hzoi has gone out solo all of twice, once because I asked her to try and snag a new cache, the other when she and her mom were in Vegas for a few days. I cached over the weekend while she was gone, but she picked up one or two of the virtual caches along the strip each day for the four or so days she was there. I think I ended up compressing her finds to one of the days I hadn't cached just to keep them separate. We weren't working on a streak, and it wasn't a day we needed to fill in our caching calendar or anything, it just seemed easier than having our finds ping-pong back and forth between Las Vegas and the Virginia coast.

I don't know how we'd handle it if we were separated longer, say, if I had to deploy again. But then she normally doesn't like caching without me, so maybe it wouldn't even come up. Guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

[RANT]

[/RANT]

I tend to agree. My acount started a the family account. When we cache as a family they are logged on my account. When I cache alone, mainly for more remote, rough terrian caches, I log them on my account.

Now my son and daughter have their own accounts. My son logs all his finds on his. My daughter only logs the non-urban caches or the real "wow" caches on her's. Otherwise she just lets me log them and does not bother.

If it's on my/our account I found it.

I wouldn't claim that. I am of the view that signing a log is sufficient, but not necessary, to claim a find but I think one needs to at least have the device in hand to make a find.

(My wife may go to Bermuda to visit her cousin and will probably grab a cache when she's there -- but that goes to her occasionally updated account, not mine).

i dont see what's wrong with that. my dad is finding some caches over in Afghanistan for me.

Wow. That's a new one to me.

You must not cache around the Fort Bragg area. For the Dirtbag Geocaching Society, it's standard practice. :anibad:

I don't see any caches from Afghanistan in their finds, so hippietwinkie is either joking or behind on their logs.