Educational Caches

Mtn. Goat

I have lived in/around the Sierra Nevada mountains most of my life and have learned alot about the area. I am trying to think of a way to pass on some of the information to others in the form of some type of educational cache. ie; Find the starting cache and pick up a pamplet that provides you with other local coordinates and information about certain type of rock formations, minerals, trees, favorite spots to see certain birds, animals. List of books for more info, etc. I am looking for suggestions that might help educate people while they are having fun. There is a road in the Sierra foothills where I have taken the coordinates of a Buckeye tree (used by local indians to catch fish), Digger pine (lowest growing pine tree in the sierras), Tan Bark Oak tree (bark is used to tan hides), marble ridge that crosses the road and contains good examples of calcite minerals, sycamore tree (which always indicates that there is a water source nearby). These types of things. I think a lot of people would enjoy learning these things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sounds like it would make a good multi-cache. Each stage in the multi could be a micro placed at or near something of educational value. Each stage can have an educational section, and the micro cache for that stage could have a multiple choice question relating to the educational section for that stage. So basically, it's a mix of finding micros, then reading some educational for a hint on where then next micro is. Sounds like something I would enjoy. icon_biggrin.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"