Opening a Groundspeak Store or area in other stores

EdFromJersey

I have been looking to find a store that carries an assortment of Geocaching stuff, the only 'Brick & Mortar' store is in East Hanover. Which is a trip from my home. I know there is a lot of interest in my area for a place to purchase items and perhaps to have classes and get togethers. If I had the money I would love to have a store like that, or if stores like Dick's or Sports Authority could have a small section in their camping area for supplies would be great. There is a good store in Bound Brook NJ called Effingers that sells Camping, Scouting, and Hiking equipment but no Geocaching stuff. It is sad.

Honestly, I don't even know how you would pull this off. You'd probably have to supplement the business with comic books or LEGOS or odd ball computer parts.

I would love to check out the store in East Hanover and see how they do it.

I guess if you' can find a low rent, owned store front or rent a space from an existing Outdoors store this might be feasible.

I seem to think this is something that come up once in a while in the forums, I've never really followed those topics. I'm curious now to see what their conclusions are.

We are still a fringe element in the grand scheme of things. 5,000,000 registered members world-wide, and that's skewed, I'll bet half of them are 0 find 0 hide accounts who just signed up for an account on a website on the internet. :lol: I think the best we're going to do anytime in the near future is the little section at REI. Hopefully Dick's or another such place will come on board some day.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Honestly, I don't even know how you would pull this off. You'd probably have to supplement the business with comic books or LEGOS or odd ball computer parts.

I would love to check out the store in East Hanover and see how they do it.

I guess if you' can find a low rent, owned store front or rent a space from an existing Outdoors store this might be feasible.

I seem to think this is something that come up once in a while in the forums, I've never really followed those topics. I'm curious now to see what their conclusions are.

I suspect that the brick & mortar store in E Hanover that he is referring to is REI. They devote essentially two or three narrow shelves to geocaching equipment.

I agree that a standalone geocaching store couldn't work unless it also did a brisk online business and even that's iffy. The online geocching businesses that I'm aware of are run out of homes to cut down on overhead. One brick and mortar geocaching store that I've heard of was an auto parts business where the owner devoted a significant portion of his floor space to geocaching. That's probably the only way one could truly work, make it part of another business. It might work nicely as part of a deli. Cachers would not only buy geocaching gear but maybe a sandwich or two before heading out on the hunt.

We are still a fringe element in the grand scheme of things. 5,000,000 registered members world-wide, and that's skewed, I'll bet half of them are 0 find 0 hide accounts who just signed up for an account on a website on the internet. :lol: I think the best we're going to do anytime in the near future is the little section at REI. Hopefully Dick's or another such place will come on board some day.

5 million registered members? I've seen the claim on the front page that there are 5 million geocachers in the world. The forums have 750,000+ registered members. I kind of assumed that number included all registered accounts and some heuristic of how many tag-a-longs have gone geocaching. I know I've taken many friend, family and co-workers geocaching. 90% enjoyed it and would go again, or tag-a-long if they see me running out, but only half or so have GC account. ... but I digress.

What does REI carry?

Is it actually GC.com branded gear or is it equipment for Geocaching?

When I think about all of the places that I've frequently stop into for geocaching supplies, that would be one odd-ball store; something between a hardware store, craft store and stationary story. dadgum, I do frequently stop into several stores for caching gear. We really do need a one stop shop! :lol:

Here in the Pittsburgh area we had a Groundspeak authorized reseller for several years, operating out of a hobby shop for the R/C crowd (radio controlled cars, boats, helicopters, etc.). At the store you could pick up travel bugs, stickers, official log books, etc. The store has since closed. This made me smile, as the operator of this store held one of my travel bugs hostage for more than a year over a perceived dispute. I've quit sending out travel bugs.

What does REI carry?

REI carries stuff that is officially from Shop Geocaching as well as a world of other outdoor supplies of course.

As far as how much inventory they carry, it depends on how large that REI store happens to be. At the one near me (the Seattle flagship), their display looks something like this, below. This was taken at the end of President's Day weekend after a big sale which might explain the light volume. You get an idea of product availability, at least.

e5640ff1-e6be-4d05-8081-7273cd6c0f0a.jpg?rnd=0.8516928

Edited by Shop Geocaching
What does REI carry?

REI carries stuff that is officially from Shop Geocaching as well as a world of other outdoor supplies of course.

As far as how much inventory they carry, it depends on how large that REI store happens to be. At the one near me (the Seattle flagship), their display looks something like this, below. This was taken at the end of President's Day weekend after a big sale which might explain the light volume. You get an idea of product availability, at least.

e5640ff1-e6be-4d05-8081-7273cd6c0f0a.jpg?rnd=0.8516928

Wow, the REI i visited in King Of Prussia Mall, had like, one item. The geomate Jr. That was the entire stock of geocaching items... :blink: