Cache Code & content

Nonno's

When placing a cache I have down loaded and printed the geocache guidelines and put it in 4 of 5 of my caches. I have only handwritten a log on a sheet of paper. A fellow cacher said, when he found my cache, that there was no cache ref code on it? What is this?

Do I have to have an offical log book? Do I have to have a geocache sticker on the containers?

Thanks

Do I have to have an offical log book? Do I have to have a geocache sticker on the containers?

Whatever you provide is the "official" log book. It is nice, but not necessary to have cache's GC Code on the log.

Marking the outside of the container, which is what I believe you mean by "a geocache sticker", is nice, but generally not necessary.

There are some land managers that require it, one in my area that requires their issued sticker on the outside of the container (which limits container size to match safes and bigger).

I never saw the point of putting the GC code or cache name inside a cache. You're there, you found it, you have it on your GPS so you know the GC code and (in most cases) the cache name.

But considering the number of times lately were a non geocaher came to these forums mentioning that he found a cache laying on the ground and wanted to get it back to its owner, a GC number inside the cache would have been very helpful in tracking down the owner.

So while it's not mandatory, it is probably a good idea to include it.

Edited by briansnat

I never saw the point of putting the GC code or cache name inside a cache. You're there, you found it, you have it on your GPS so you know the GC code and (in most cases) the cache name.

I don't see the "necessity" of it either. But we put the GC code on our dollar-store notebooks/logbooks.

Help Center: Guidelines → Placement Guidelines: governing physical locations → Other Placement Considerations

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=305

1.2. Other Placement Considerations

2. Label your geocache. To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" on the outside of the container. Transparent containers help to show that the contents are harmless. If the container has any military markings, we recommend covering these permanently or removing them. Include a printed "cache note" inside your geocache explaining what it is and providing a brief description of geocaching.

Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Hiding Your First Geocache

Hiding Your First Geocache

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Whatever the container, make sure to clearly identify your cache as a geocache. Most geocachers mark the cache container with the words "Official Geocache," the name of the cache, and appropriate contact information. The more information you can provide, the better.

I don't see the "necessity" of it either. But we put the GC code on our dollar-store notebooks/logbooks.

Help Center: Guidelines → Placement Guidelines: governing physical locations → Other Placement Considerations

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=305

1.2. Other Placement Considerations

2. Label your geocache. To avoid confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label it as a "geocache" on the outside of the container. Transparent containers help to show that the contents are harmless. If the container has any military markings, we recommend covering these permanently or removing them. Include a printed "cache note" inside your geocache explaining what it is and providing a brief description of geocaching.

Geocaching > Getting Started with Geocaching > Hiding Your First Geocache

Hiding Your First Geocache

http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx

Whatever the container, make sure to clearly identify your cache as a geocache. Most geocachers mark the cache container with the words "Official Geocache," the name of the cache, and appropriate contact information. The more information you can provide, the better.

That's a little different than adding the GC number. Though I rarely add the GC number to the inside of the cache, I almost always label the outside as a geocache.

Edited by briansnat

I can think of at least one reason. Identification to land-managers.

If a land-manager stumbles across it, the GC code is the best way to identify the specific cache. This is especially true in the case of multis or puzzles, where the cache wouldn't show in that spot on the map. Using the GC code, they could easily find the cache listing on the site, or identify it to Groundspeak in the case of any issues (permission, legality, etc.). The name of the cache isn't as reliable, because I've seen many cases where the name of the cache has changed. The GC code stays constant. I always put the GC code on the front of my logbooks.

Remember, not everyone that finds a cache was intending to find it. There's also the cases of cachers stumbling upon a cache. Again, the most reliable way to identify it is by GC code.

:P

I can think of at least one reason. Identification to land-managers.

If a land-manager stumbles across it, the GC code is the best way to identify the specific cache. This is especially true in the case of multis or puzzles, where the cache wouldn't show in that spot on the map. Using the GC code, they could easily find the cache listing on the site, or identify it to Groundspeak in the case of any issues (permission, legality, etc.). The name of the cache isn't as reliable, because I've seen many cases where the name of the cache has changed. The GC code stays constant. I always put the GC code on the front of my logbooks.

Remember, not everyone that finds a cache was intending to find it. There's also the cases of cachers stumbling upon a cache. Again, the most reliable way to identify it is by GC code.

In addition to the above reasons, it's essential to have at least the GC code on the container in case it's moved (brought home, washed away, moved by an animal), in order to have a possibility of getting it back.

Other reasons are, it confirms which cache it is, and indicates that the Cache Owner is considering the needs of the finders. It may even show that the CO has been to the spot more than once -- on any maintenance check, they can write the GC code.

When I do my Found It log, I try to say something interesting about the find. Sometimes "there's no GC Code" is the most interesting thing I can say... :P

Edited by kunarion

One reason I like to see them (GC # & Name) is to know that I have actually found a geocache from this site and not a letter box hide or cache registered with another site. On at least 2 or 3 different occasions I have found two caches in close proximity of one another and each was registered through different sites. Also, if it has the GC code & name I feel more confident that it is not a throw down or fake I have found.

As others have said the owner can be located easier if need be.

My 1/2 cents worth. :)

Edited by cwgrizz