A few assorted newbie questions.

Bloodheart

By newbie I mean I only started the day before yesterday, and only have a minuscule 5 caches under my belt so-far.

In case this information is needed; using the c:geo Android App on Sony Ericsson Experia Mini-Pro on Orange UK.

A few assorted and possibly silly questions (be kind);

1. If I visit a cache and it needs a new log.

Do I mention this on my 'found it' log or log it separably as needing maintenance or as a general note so the owner can see it clearly?

2. What if there's someone else at the cache?

Yesterday I visited a cache to find someone else already there looking for it, are there any rules about avoiding other players?

3. Any tips for using GPS effectively?

I'm using my mobile phone but the GPS is especially prone to switching from telling me I'm a few meters away one minute to a few hundred meters the next - as I'm new to using GPS too I don't know if this is the norm or if there's any way to pin-point positions better because so far I've just had to find the rough location and wing-it from there.

4. How do I figure-out or input new coordinates?

Say I happen across a multi-cache and find the locations to the final cache, do I input these new coordinates into my phone and if so how?

5. How do you even begin to figure out puzzle caches?

I've seen a fair few links that discuss different puzzle types and code breaking but I'm still none the wiser. There's one puzzle cache close-by and although I think I've solved the clue to the first location once there I need to be able to solve a puzzle/code - this is in no format that I recognise from the various sites I've looked through, it might be easier to figure out once I get to visit the location where I think the first clue is pointing me too (assuming I've reached the right conclusion). What's the best course of action?

6. Is there anything you wish newbies wouldn't do/would do?

Sorry for multiple questions, any help would be appreciated! :)

By newbie I mean I only started the day before yesterday, and only have a minuscule 5 caches under my belt so-far.

In case this information is needed; using the c:geo Android App on Sony Ericsson Experia Mini-Pro on Orange UK.

I don't have an Android or use c:geo, so I can't help with those questions, but I can address some of the others.

Do I mention this on my 'found it' log or log it separably as needing maintenance or as a general note so the owner can see it clearly?

Any of the above would be appropriate. Personally, I normally just mention it in my "Found it" log, but it's entirely up to you.

2. What if there's someone else at the cache?

Yesterday I visited a cache to find someone else already there looking for it, are there any rules about avoiding other players?

Walk up and say hello! If it's pretty clear that it's a cacher (they're doing the "drunken bee dance", looking around suspiciously and looking into odd spots near the coordinates, have a GPS hanging from their neck, etc.), by all means, go up to them and introduce themselves. If you want to mess with them, walk up behind them and say something like, "Hey! What do you think you're doing?" :laughing: I love running into other cachers when I'm out searching, and it can sometimes make finding a cache easier and/or more enjoyable.

I'm using my mobile phone but the GPS is especially prone to switching from telling me I'm a few meters away one minute to a few hundred meters the next - as I'm new to using GPS too I don't know if this is the norm or if there's any way to pin-point positions better because so far I've just had to find the rough location and wing-it from there.

This definitely isn't normal. Things like objects above you (trees, buildings, bridges, etc.) can interfere somewhat with satellite reception, but it shouldn't jump by hundreds of meters. I'm not sure what's happening in those cases.

Say I happen across a multi-cache and find the locations to the final cache, do I input these new coordinates into my phone and if so how?

Sorry, I don't use c:geo, so I can't help you with this one.

5. How do you even begin to figure out puzzle caches?

I've seen a fair few links that discuss different puzzle types and code breaking but I'm still none the wiser. There's one puzzle cache close-by and although I think I've solved the clue to the first location once there I need to be able to solve a puzzle/code - this is in no format that I recognise from the various sites I've looked through, it might be easier to figure out once I get to visit the location where I think the first clue is pointing me too (assuming I've reached the right conclusion). What's the best course of action?

If you've looked at a puzzle, and you're having problems solving it, the best place to start is to contact the cache owner. Tell them how much you've got (to show them you're actually putting some effort into it), and they might give you a hint on what to do next, or at least confirm that what you have is correct.

I wish newbies wouldn't give in so easily. There seem to be a lot of new cachers that will DNF a cache or two, and never try again. Stick it out for a few, and you'll start to get the hang of it. I wish newbies would make sure they understand the major concepts of geocaching before placing a cache. You should keep finding caches until you feel you have a good understanding of what goes into a cache hide and what that ownership will entail before hiding a cache.

I'll end with: Welcome, and happy caching!

1. For me, it depends on the previous posts. Most often I post an NM for a full log but I might just mention it in the Found log if it hasn't been mentioned before. If it's already been mentioned in the previous Found logs then it's time for an NM log. If there are previous NM logs, I'll add another one. If it looks like the cache has been abandoned (a few NMs, no reaction from the CO, the CO hasn't logged in in awhile) I will post an NA in order to get the attention of the Reviewers.

6. I think newbies should wait about 2 to 3 months before hiding a cache. The first couple of months is the honeymoon phase. People often get excited and want to hide caches without really understanding what a cache is and how much responsibility is involved. Wait. Find a variety of cache types and D/T ranges. Read the guidelines. Learn about the features that COs should know about - NM, OM, NA, disable/enable. If after 2-3 months you are still caching and feel you are committed to the game and will maintain the cache in a timely manner for possibly many years, then hide your first cache and wait for the feedback to come in.

6. Visit an event, and make friends. Geocaching is an awesome team sport. It's a blast meeting up with other cachers to find difficult caches, and it's incredibly helpful sometimes to be able to phone a friend (PAF). Our 5/5 cache was done on a Sunday, when our local caching group mentioned that there would be an attempt. It required scuba gear, and there were a few qualified divers in the group. All in all, prolly 50 of us showed up, found the cache, and hung out for an incredible afternoon. And, it wasn't even an event cache, per se. It was just a good network of good caching friends.

Later!

It looks like most of the questions you had are covered

The only thing I would say different is the log replacement.

I've always carried extra logs with me and I will replace the log

And mention it in my log that it should be good now.

I just see it as gas is expensive and if I'm already there and can

Save the c/o a ride out there why not....

But slot of good answers

Thank you for the answers so far guys/gals!

A quick additional question;

Archived caches - can I still have a go at them?

For example there's a series of multiple caches locally I fancy doing - I want to do these in order for the sake of my own sanity and because there'll be a few grouped together (e.g. 1, 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 all within easy walking distance of each other), however at least one has been archived due to disappearing/reappearing caches, last log says it's still there but I'm assuming if archived no further maintenance will be given by CO. I mean if I'm in that location anyway...is it okay to look and log an archived cache?

Edited by Bloodheart

I will speak to the idea of hiding a cache right off the bat. I haven't been caching long, but when I first started a few months ago, I began collecting supplies to make our own cache. I am so glad that I have waited for a while to be a CO. Every time I go caching it seems like I learn of a new way of doing things, ie. cache container, contents, log type, FTF prize, hiding techniques etc. I think 50 found might be my lucky number before I begin hiding my own. Good luck to you! :)

6. Visit an event, and make friends. Geocaching is an awesome team sport. It's a blast meeting up with other cachers to find difficult caches, and it's incredibly helpful sometimes to be able to phone a friend (PAF). Our 5/5 cache was done on a Sunday, when our local caching group mentioned that there would be an attempt. It required scuba gear, and there were a few qualified divers in the group. All in all, prolly 50 of us showed up, found the cache, and hung out for an incredible afternoon. And, it wasn't even an event cache, per se. It was just a good network of good caching friends.

Later!

+50....I have met so many fantastic people at Geocaching Events and because of those events now routinely go on all day or sometime weekend caching trips with several of them. Go to these events. Find the old pros. Most of the geocachers I know love taking the newbies out and seeing the thrill the newbies get when finding a geocache before the old pros.

For example there's a series of multiple caches locally I fancy doing - I want to do these in order for the sake of my own sanity and because there'll be a few grouped together (e.g. 1, 2, 2.5, 3, and 4 all within easy walking distance of each other), however at least one has been archived due to disappearing/reappearing caches, last log says it's still there but I'm assuming if archived no further maintenance will be given by CO. I mean if I'm in that location anyway...is it okay to look and log an archived cache?

Fair game in my opinion! Log it like any other.

Q1- Have a bag with you when you go caching- water, pens swag and a few extra log sheets. :shocked:

Q2- Say Hi and introduce yourself. you may make a new friend to cache with. :ninja:

Q3- GPS will get you close but your [developing] geoscences will get you closer. you're starting out so don't give up so easily. :lostsignal:

Q4- I don't have a good answer. it depends on the gadget. I have an iPhone but I do not know how to input additional coordinates. I have a Garmin to do it for me. :antenna:

Q5- Puzzle caches are a challenge and each is so different. Lots have roots on the web and are public knowledge. Others you can look at weird angles or enlarge it to find hidden clues. Just ask the CO for a hint. :drama:

Q6- Insist on quality caches and post DNF NM and NA. Remember a DNF does not mean you have failed. These logs help the CO maintain their caches. :cool:

Oh BTW don't overuse the emoticons, thats my job :cry:

3. Have you also downloaded GPS Status app - I don't understand the technicalities behind it but it was recommended to me and certainly helped. Saying that this does sometimes still happen I have got used to it being a down side to my phone it normally jumps back to the correct distance soon enough. It once said I was 5K miles away! I use a galaxy S but a friend uses a supposedly 'less smart' version of the galaxy and has no such problems!

4. On the cache description page on the phone, scroll down to between the description and hint fields (if there is one) and there you find Waypoints and an 'add waypoint' button. Hit that then modify the co-ords displayed and save adding names or notes etc as you wish.

If you have the coordinates and the patience to look for an archived cache, there's no reason to not log it if you find it. Keep in mind, though, that an archived cache should have been removed by the CO or might have been archived for the very reason that it's missing, so you may not find anything. This would probably be one of those times when you wouldn't post a DNF :laughing: But if you find it.. log it. On a similar note, inasmuch as an archived cache that is still out in the wild is really just so much geolitter, I wouldn't remove the cache without the express permission from the CO or failing that at least a very very clear indication that it has been abandoned; ie, the last log was months or more ago

If you have the coordinates and the patience to look for an archived cache, there's no reason to not log it if you find it. Keep in mind, though, that an archived cache should have been removed by the CO or might have been archived for the very reason that it's missing, so you may not find anything. This would probably be one of those times when you wouldn't post a DNF :laughing: But if you find it.. log it. On a similar note, inasmuch as an archived cache that is still out in the wild is really just so much geolitter, I wouldn't remove the cache without the express permission from the CO or failing that at least a very very clear indication that it has been abandoned; ie, the last log was months or more ago

+1

3. Have you also downloaded GPS Status app - I don't understand the technicalities behind it but it was recommended to me and certainly helped. Saying that this does sometimes still happen I have got used to it being a down side to my phone it normally jumps back to the correct distance soon enough. It once said I was 5K miles away! I use a galaxy S but a friend uses a supposedly 'less smart' version of the galaxy and has no such problems!

4. On the cache description page on the phone, scroll down to between the description and hint fields (if there is one) and there you find Waypoints and an 'add waypoint' button. Hit that then modify the co-ords displayed and save adding names or notes etc as you wish.

Thank you The Real Boudica, I've downloaded a GPS Status app so I'll see how it goes out in the field tomorrow.

I think I've found a way to add new coordinates on the c:geo app I use, so that's sorted.

Thank you to Brooklyn51 for clarifying so well on the archived cache question.

Thank you for all answers folks - oh and don't worry this newbie is a while off attempting a first cache, I'll hopefully still be doing this in the summer months so a few more interesting locations and a meet under my belt then I might consider my first cache...in the mean time no harm in scouting out potential locations and planning while I'm exploring other local caches :)

If you have the coordinates and the patience to look for an archived cache, there's no reason to not log it if you find it. Keep in mind, though, that an archived cache should have been removed by the CO or might have been archived for the very reason that it's missing, so you may not find anything.

Also keep in mind that a cache may be archived for reasons other than it's gone missing too many times. Sometimes a land manager grants permission to have a cache at a location and then changes their mind. Sometimes permission was never granted. In those cases, it's *not* a good idea to search for a cache that has been archived, because even if it *is* there searching for could result in further conflicts with a land manager, which could lead to other caches being archived.

#5 Puzzles

Skip them for now. Go out get the traditional caches. You will discover interesting places you never knew existed and some creative geocaches. Use the favorite points to find interesting hides. You don't want to sit home on your butt doing puzzles. Geocaching is about getting out there and exploring. Happy Caching!

#5 Puzzles

Skip them for now. Go out get the traditional caches. You will discover interesting places you never knew existed and some creative geocaches. Use the favorite points to find interesting hides. You don't want to sit home on your butt doing puzzles. Geocaching is about getting out there and exploring. Happy Caching!

Don't fully agree .. It just depends, if you like solving puzzles, go for it ! I like them and don't mind sitting on my butt solving them :) And yes, in the beginning some (probably even many) will be too difficult to solve but as your experience solving the easy ones grows, the easier the ones you thought were difficult will turn out to be..

I have no problem admitting that some mysteries are really too difficult for me, those I leave alone for the time being.

And as said, you can always contact the cache owner for an extra tip, most of them are more than happy that somebody is taking the time and effort to solve their puzzle and will try to put you on the road...

Enjoy !

#5 Puzzles

Don't fully agree .. It just depends, if you like solving puzzles, go for it ! I like them and don't mind sitting on my butt solving them :) And yes, in the beginning some (probably even many) will be too difficult to solve but as your experience solving the easy ones grows, the easier the ones you thought were difficult will turn out to be..

I have no problem admitting that some mysteries are really too difficult for me, those I leave alone for the time being.

And as said, you can always contact the cache owner for an extra tip, most of them are more than happy that somebody is taking the time and effort to solve their puzzle and will try to put you on the road...

Enjoy !

Now me, I don't like puzzles - my brain doesn't think that way, I'm not used to puzzles to be able to recognise what method is being used, and I over-think things so miss easy answers.BUT I can't stand the idea of doing all the caches in one location except one just because it's a puzzle. I guess I'll have to see, doesn't hurt to have a go and see where I get...hopefully not lost!

I have a newbie question if anyone could help.

We are travelling to America in September to do a little tour of the southern states, there of course will be lots of Caching, including a sea kayaking day to get a Cache on an Island.

My question is, what is the etiquette with regards trackables? For instance is it acceptable to see if anyone in the North East wants to give us a trackable to take over? Or is it best to just find a trackable and check whether its game for a transatlantic jaunt?

While we are over there we are going to leave 5 Northumbrian flag TBs in different states to see if any make it back

My question is, what is the etiquette with regards trackables? For instance is it acceptable to see if anyone in the North East wants to give us a trackable to take over? Or is it best to just find a trackable and check whether its game for a transatlantic jaunt?

Either is perfectly acceptable.

I hope you enjoy your trip.