New Maps Won't Load Satellite Images

EcuaDeb

Just adding my vote to those commenting on the poor quality of the new maps. I haven't even tried the sattelite view yet so can't comment on that, but I don't like the street map view at all. There are no street names which means I have to open a google map of the area in a seperate window then go back and forth between maps to figure out where the caches are located. The new map also doesn't show things like parks. I mean how silly is that since so many caches are in parks. It loads so slowly that I often have to refresh to get a whole map showing on the screen. And if I hover over a cache, the name appears over top of the zoom in /out feature which means I can't use that function unless I refresh the page again. We use the map view almost exclusively to find caches since we like to choose a new area to visit and see the locations of all the caches in that area. This new map has made that so much more time consuming and aggravating. I figured this change was a matter of google charging more for their service and GC didn't want to pay. Frankly, I would be willing to pay more for my premium membership if it meant that we could get the google maps back. PLEASE GC - consider switching back.

Groundspeak has received a lot of feedback from the geocaching community regarding the recent changes to our maps, including recent improvements to our Pocket Query/Map integration. We understand that the change in maps was not ideal for many customers who were used to seeing Google maps on geocaching.com.

Please understand that we are committed to delivering exceptional functionality, including high quality maps. We are continuing to analyze available options for mapping while also actively working with MapQuest to improve the current functionality and service.

Groundspeak has received a lot of feedback from the geocaching community regarding the recent changes to our maps, including recent improvements to our Pocket Query/Map integration. We understand that the change in maps was not ideal for many customers who were used to seeing Google maps on geocaching.com.

Please understand that we are committed to delivering exceptional functionality, including high quality maps. We are continuing to analyze available options for mapping while also actively working with MapQuest to improve the current functionality and service.

I tried three different browsers and the satilite tiles do not appear when you zoom all the way to the closest level, which is what you need to locate urban caches. Not to knock MapQuest openly in public, but there map engins have alway been slow. That's my 15 year experience with them. I don't know how their technology differs from Google and Bing, but this relationship is not going to work if the maps are not friendly. I will have been resorting to just use my smartphone app. but when planning a big outting, the MapQuests are just aweful. Please consider changing it back to Google or going to Bing.

Yes, but are why there are no useful satellite views for most of the planet?

There is a link on every cache page to Google Maps for individual caches. If you want to zoom in close you can. The link is the 3rd in the list of online mapping options,

Having to open up the OSM to an area , click a cache, click on that cache again, scroll down to where ever googlemaps is on that particular cache page, click again, and then click several more times in order to zoom in to look at that one cache up close with a satellite image is fine for a cache or two, but is not a substitute for having the satellite images right there on the map search page.

ETA: This also does not explain why folks in the US do not have to put up with having to do all that while the rest of the world does. Yes it is probably a licensing issue for somebody, but it would be nice to hear why.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

[Edited by moderator to remove forum guideline violations.]

At least ONE person figured out a solution (thank you opens source) and posted it. Others have found work-arounds but the rest of you think it's GS's responsibility? ... [F]igure out how to do this on your OWN using the WORLD WIDE WEB.

This is actually between YOU satellite junkies and Google... GS is caught in the middle because of YOUR dependency on those maps.

Does it suck? Yes but as someone else pointed out, change is hard.

Is it the end of geocaching? Nope.

Edited by Keystone

Using the new mapping system in ernest this weekend and to be honest we're finding the Open Street Maps absolutely fine for plotting a circuit as all the footpaths are clearly marked whereas google maps show none of this information. A new bypass which has recently opened is displayed in osm but google is out of date and showing a field so there are some positives.Granted the non functioning satellite imagery is unacceptable but using greasemonkeys script works fine to bring back google sat images.

I would be upset though if the google sat images disappeared on the android app though!

agentOZZ

At least ONE person figured out a solution (thank you opens source) and posted it. Others have found work-arounds but the rest of you think it's GS's responsibility? Figure out how to do this on your OWN using the WORLD WIDE WEB.

This is actually between YOU satellite junkies and Google... GS is caught in the middle because of YOUR dependency on those maps.

Wow. Seriously? Groundspeak doesn't want to give out any bulk cache data to 3rd parties, so yes, it is their responsibility to provide a high quality mapping solution to their users, so they can browse caches the way they want to. GS doesn't want anyone else to be able to offer anything like that (not with their data, anyway). Stop the Greasemonkey madness already, get Groundspeak to provide a usable site instead, or give bulk access to the cache data to 3rd parties who in turn can provide a usable site.

Edited by Keystone

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926

The script is sent by God! Groundspeak taketh away and GreaseMonkey giveth back!!! All Hail GreaseMonkey!

Why hasn't GS responded to ALL our complaints? Great business model. Push crap, insert earplugs....

God and all his best mates sent this. Just downloaded Greasemonkey, installed script, and now discovered other scripts to add OSM and such. Result.

I agree with most members the new maps are not of the quality that I was acustom to on Groundspeak and would like to see the old back

all the new map tiles are slow some to the point of being usless the mapquest does not even show bodies of water 3 miles long hard to plan your travels

after seeing the number of search entries under maps I,m thinking any further disscusion is futile.

I understand a lot about why Groundspeak makes the decisions it does. I may not agree with the decisions, but if I can understand the reasoning, then I'm fine with it. I don't complain a lot about many of the things that Groundspeak does that, if I were leading the company would do - like, I would not allow someone to place a new cache when they have other caches that need maintenance, I wouldn't allow cachers with less than 50 finds to place a cache of their own, etc. But I have to agree with nearly everyone and soundly say that these new maps are absolutely horrible. I even gave Groundspeak a couple weeks to work out the kinks, but let me ask this - can ANYONE get the satellite maps to render correctly? It is SO FRUSTRATING to try to look at a preserve or sanctuary that has 3 o 4 caches in it to try to plan a route when you can't use the aerial maps. Urban areas are even worse! I have tried at least 10 times to look at aerial maps and not once have they actually rendered properly and I've been VERY patient waiting.

I am also up for a renewal coming up and I'm feeling sketchy on doing it or not. At this rate, I don't know what to hope. Higher Fee's may help, but I'm not looking forward to paying $60+, or even a monthly fee.... I sure hope it doesn't come to that. The maps, yeah. I am :angry: <Angry and :yikes: <Shocked that it would come to this. No Hybrid, upsets me more than anything. Map freezes up and I also get the blank white screen even after a constant waiting time of 5+ minutes. :surprise: I shall dearly miss the wondrous relationship Google Maps and I shared. I'mma miss you buddy... :sad:

On the plus side, Leap year souveneer shall be awarded in two days! :anitongue::anicute::laughing:

-Game On

Greasemonkey addin script... Excellent..makes maps look just like before.

For single caches select from cache page..

looks like this

For online maps...

•Geocaching.com Map

•Streetmap.co.uk

•Google Maps <---------select

•MapQuest

•Yahoo Maps

•Bing Maps

•Open Cycle Maps

•Open Street Maps

(shouldn't have wasted money on challenges)

The MapQuest maps are a total disappointment, especially the aerial views. I have to zoom all the way out to even get the aerial maps to load. If i zoom in to get the lay of the land the aerial maps do not load. MaqQuest is far inferior to what Google offered. Shame on you Groundspeak...go back to quality. Greasmonkey is not the answer, when a company provides a service you should not have to have another company have to come in and clean up their problem. Go back to Google Maps.

Edited by Team Silver

I wasn't happy with the new maps update either. I loaded the Google map script from our Czech friends for Chrome and Firefox and it's very awesome! Yeah the maps are back! Here is the link - in case it's buried - http://userscripts.o...pts/show/125926

Could you post the full link please - can't find it from your post

Thanks

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125891

All those people threatening to withdraw their PM subscription or archive all their caches need to calm down a bit. The Google Map link is still available on each cache page allowing you to view a single cache on Google Maps, that's never been taken away and isn't likely to be; and there's already at least one script (above) which will put the Google maps & satellite view back on the 'Geocaching.com' maps page.

What's the problem?

I guess the problem is we are not all grease monkey users. So some more detailed instructions on the installation of this script would be appreciated if it is so great. I installed grease monkey. Downloaded the script. The posted link took me to a script called SweetIM, looked to be some emotiocns. Ran it anyway. Did uncheck the options to make SweetIM my default whatever. Tested the maps and nothing. Then explored grease monkey addon and saw there were some steps needed to activate script. So for us non-grease monkey users this is not 1,2,3 and your all set.

So if you are going to post help info. make it complete. Grease monkey with SweetIM script will not be an upgraded/patch/fix for me if I can't run it.

As many other people already posted, we are not satisfied with the new Map-options too.From slow motion in opening a cache description, to a horrible performance downgrade from the GC homepage.Please look forward to get a satellite based Map, and or better performance in the existing Map´s in GC.com. Greetings from Germany, 5BFamily

What ever happened to the adventure of finding the path yourself? I enjoy going out with little clue of exactly where the cache is!

I concur. Finding published geocaches is ultimately my own responsibility. If Groundspeak can supply me with convenient maps it's a bonus. If not, tough beans. I don't care.

Adapt to the situation or continue screaming.

Edited by fotimyr

I can only hope that this will find it's way through the noise to someone that can make a decision. I can certainly understand that the cost to continue using Google the way it was before the switch was just prohibitively expensive for GC to continue using. Personally I seriously dislike the new maps and would happily pay a bit more to get Google maps back even if it's an additional cost.

I have two suggestions:

1. If it's possible, simply only allow Google map access for premium members. Of course, this would only work if the bulk of the map calls were from free users.

2. If #1 is still not feasible, offer up an additional level of membership that gives us the ability to pay a bit more for access to Google. Perhaps there's even a way to work with Google to balance out the cost for heavy users and light users.

1. If it's possible, simply only allow Google map access for premium members. Of course, this would only work if the bulk of the map calls were from free users.
See:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290423

2. If #1 is still not feasible, offer up an additional level of membership that gives us the ability to pay a bit more for access to Google. Perhaps there's even a way to work with Google to balance out the cost for heavy users and light users.
See:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=291405

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=291140

As stated, the new maps are terrible and something needs to be done to fix this. I want google maps back! GC needs to quit all the cutesy stuff and get back to basics. Maps are a necessity. You can't tell me with all the PMs and ad revenues there is no money for the google maps. The GC site has never been this lame.

I know everyone is upset about the lack of satellite maps on the new map (hideous!), but if you are using an iphone has anyone else found that you just can't click on the cache and hence can't see what it is called or link on through to it?

It is driving me mental!

I don't think Groundspeak realise how poor the new maps are compared to the original maps, especially in large areas of Europe.

Here is a map from Greece. Oh look, a cache on a road, should be easy to find. This is from my Garmin GPS, which matched the original Groundspeak maps.

citynavmap.jpg

Quick look on satellite map, looks like easy parking, should be OK with kids.

satmap.jpg

Oh ***t this is the best Groundspeak can offer, how am I supposed to locate this, where are the roads ??? How I am supposed to drive to it !! Its bad enough driving in Greece with Greek drivers on the roads :rolleyes: and the state of Greek roads, but this map is a complete waste of time.

geocachemap.jpg

I know some people like the thrill of geocaching without maps, but that is their choice, we are now being forced to find caches with very poor quality maps.

At the moment my Geocaching activity has halted as I am finding it very hard to locate access to caches as the maps are so poor. Its not just Greece, as above, United Kingdom has areas like this, and have not found any satellite images in UK.

Please, please sort it out with Google as the maps we have now are very very poor (probably only true for people outside the US, actually just found areas in Florida where Google has roads, my GPS has roads and Groundspeak has big empty spaces....).

Edited by LostMiddletons

I'd like to suggest another option for GS; though judging by the singular response on this thread from a moderator I guess I won't get a response; there will probably be an outcry of how dare you suggest that either.

How about another level of membership?

There are many reasons to pay for membership and I will continue to do so because I find other great features useful (notifications and pocket queries for example).

So why not have a limited membership tier that allows only a paid few to be able to submit to Google maps. Perhaps even a pay per day.

Ok, I wouldn’t buy this tier myself because :

For lots of caches on the map

:tongue: Number 1, there are cleverer people than me who have setup up grease monkey scripts that I use.

To see the single cache on Google maps

:tired: You still see a close in view and an expanded view of the single cache

:tired: You still get a link to Google maps on the page which takes you out of the GS site

Though I prefer OS here in the UK so perhaps I’m used to not having what I want handed on a plate.

I bet there will be cachers who would be willing to pay to have the service of Google maps. But if you do implement, please don’t up the price for all premium members who might not want this additional service.

The Greasemonkey script suggested in this thread really works for me on Firefox, and solved the problem (for now)

That's great for PC folks but does anyone know of anything for Mac users?

And Chrome users?

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/126244

And those of us quite happily using IE9 ?

Can it be installed easily ?

What about does it work in managed environment (ie no administrator access), like at work ?

I am getting very frustrated with these new maps. Back when they were the beta, I always used the old ones, but now the betas are the new (and only) maps available. They are slow to load, the aerials usually don't fill in, often the caches don't show up on the map. Please go back to the old maps or at least give us the option again.

The new satillite map doesn't work for me here in New York! It will load some squares but not all and it seems to not load the ones I want it to... If i zoom out, it loads faster but to see what I am trying to see, I need to zoom in. Oh how I miss google maps... pay the money for better products, that's what we do as premium members.

The Greasemonkey script suggested in this thread really works for me on Firefox, and solved the problem (for now)

That's great for PC folks but does anyone know of anything for Mac users?

And Chrome users?

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/126244

Why is everything seam's to be firefox google chrom. some of us still use explore you know

Why is everything seam's to be firefox google chrom. some of us still use explore you know

Because FF and chrome and more open making it easier to write scripts such as these. Unless you are in corporate environment where you can't load other applications, there isn't a reason you can't use both IE and FF and chrome.

+1 I did notice a little quirk with the maps, when I zoom in to where the total map width is at 563M the cache still shows, when I zoom one more time and the width reads 282M the cache disappears. It does it both in Firefox and Seamonkey.

I can't help but get the feeling that for the most part, all of these posts just fall on deaf ears. None the less, it makes me feel better to say my little bit :unsure:

So for my part, I understand the issues surrounding Google Maps and don't blame Groundspeak for that problem. I also seem to be one of the minority who don't mind the new maps. In fact OCM is my preferred map for most things, but I find it annoying that in GC my preference is not remembered and I have to select it each time. I also dislike the leaflet maps on the cache pages. Not only because of the pin issue on the dynamic one, but I think the OSM/OCM maps are more accurate, so why could these not be used for the small static map and the larger dynamic map on the cache page, or at least have a preference setting in the accounts which would govern the "default" map preference for each user. That way I could select OCM as my preference and have the dynamic map on the cache page, and the map page both default to using OCM.

Regarding the Google/Satellite maps (which I don't use much myself), why can't these be added to the list of map choices on the map page. If they were not the default (and could not be selected in my suggestion above) then this would hugely reduce the hit rate and quite conceivable drop the usage to below Google's threshold.

Just my 5c worth

Edited by MnCo
Regarding the Google/Satellite maps (which I don't use much myself), why can't these be added to the list of map choices on the map page. If they were not the default (and could not be selected in my suggestion above) then this would hugely reduce the hit rate and quite conceivable drop the usage to below Google's threshold.
IIRC, the number of hits on Google Maps would need to drop from 2M+/day to less than 25k/day. I'm not convinced that less than 1 in 50 hits would be redirected to Google, especially once someone writes a Greasemonkey script to set the default back go Google Maps.