Maps, Maps & Maps

PC Copper

This map is extremely poor. No street names unless you zoom in real close, then you loose the sense of the area. I depend on street names especially when caching in an unfamiliar area. Limited options such as topo, bing, etc. that were available before. Seems like the changes made here lately are not for the better. Please bring back the original beta map!!!!

This map is extremely poor. No street names unless you zoom in real close, then you loose the sense of the area. I depend on street names especially when caching in an unfamiliar area. Limited options such as topo, bing, etc. that were available before. Seems like the changes made here lately are not for the better. Please bring back the original beta map!!!!

What's happened?

All the map views have changed, i can only access satellite view from my iPhone.......Help. I use this all the time, it's even frozen my laptop at home trying to get a map.

Rick

My iPhone map still gives me the option to choose between Satellite, Topo or Street maps. My PC still provides a choice between sufficient maps for all the planning I would need. My GPS still points to the cache.

I guess the only thing the site doesn't provide is someone to hold my hand and lead me step by step to the cache. Since when did "change" become a 4 letter word? Geocaching is all about finding HIDDEN objects with a GPS, anything else is pure fluff.

And could a passing forum mod please consolidate these two (or more?) threads into a single topic.

Hi

It has been some months since I have been on these boards and I am having a problem with the new map searching thing which maybe someone can help me out.

When you go into hide and seek and I always use the search by maps option but when the map comes up I cannot get the satellite view that I used to use not sure where to click to get this and also when I am searching for caches by area I now cannot see the place names or road names because all the little cache boxes are over the top of the map and as there are so many it virtually obliterates the map I keep clicking to zoom in and hoping that I am in the right place.

Thanks for your help

At work I have to use IE6 currently and the Beta maps never worked as I could see the caches but not the map. Not a problem, I used Beta at home and the original maps in the office. Now I have the same problem with the new maps but can't get back to the original .. Does anyone know how please? I know IE6 isn't supported but I'm not allowed to download any software so I'm a little stuck.

Cheers

That's not helpful. To address complaints about removing functionality from a site we're paying for and enjoy using is not something to be mocked.

If you want to complain about the site functionality wouldn't you be better off posting in the main Geocaching.com forum thread? I don't see how posting in a regional forum will bring your concerns to Groundspeak. Of course if you want to comment about UK specific matters, such as loss of support for OS maps, then here is fine. However at the current count there are 5 separate threads on the same topic so in the absence of a forum moderator to gather them all together perhaps everyone could concentrate on just one of them.

OSM maps don't seem to show any stations.

Any ideas my learned friends? :)

Update OSM with the details you want... :ph34r:

Exactly, there are load complaining that the OSM doesn't how this or that...contribute!!! :)

If I find a road etc missing when I use Talkytoasters maps then I go to OSM and add it...only takes a couple of minutes.

Exactly, there are load complaining that the OSM doesn't how this or that...contribute!!! :)

If I find a road etc missing when I use Talkytoasters maps then I go to OSM and add it...only takes a couple of minutes.

That's OK after the event. Please read my request again. Twice if that helps.

Don't just "quote" the part of my enquiry that suits your reply.

I find that unhelpful. Your better than that no doubt.

Note that the default map now is Map Quest, which doesn't seem to show stations when zoomed out.

If you switch to the Open Street Maps it does show stations, but they're not blindingly obvious when zoomed out.

If you switch to Open Cycle Maps then the stations are identified with a red dot, which seems to be the best option when zoomed out.

All three of the above show stations when zoomed in closely, if you're not seeing stations that you know are there then the only option is for you (or someone else) to edit the OSM map and put them in.

Note that the default map now is Map Quest, which doesn't seem to show stations when zoomed out.

If you switch to the Open Street Maps it does show stations, but they're not blindingly obvious when zoomed out.

If you switch to Open Cycle Maps then the stations are identified with a red dot, which seems to be the best option when zoomed out.

All three of the above show stations when zoomed in closely, if you're not seeing stations that you know are there then the only option is for you (or someone else) to edit the OSM map and put them in.

Thanks MartyBartfast.

Not obvious but they are there. The Cycle Maps will help me determine transport options. Not great, but beggars..etc.. :)

Please help an ignoramus. How do you install greasemonkey scripts, they just error whenever I have tried to investigate?

One bonus of the map change for me is I discovered you can import gpx files to google earth and they then display the caches with the cache name beside. Its looks a bit messy but I much prefer it to having to click on the icon to see which cache is which as you have had to do with the GS maps, a simple click on caches then shows the description. I am sure you all knew this but I like it.

The other issue is that it doesn't seem to show found caches as smileys but as I haven't an awful lot it isn't an issue for me to remember what I have or haven't found.

Another site I have used for a while is Gmap pedometer, based on google maps, allows you to easily track a path, it indicates you can export your track as a gpx but I cannot find a way to import gpx then you could use it to do what alot seem to want, easily see the milage for a certain cache or series. Anyone know if this is possible or can I do this easily with another map setup.

Please help an ignoramus. How do you install greasemonkey scripts, they just error whenever I have tried to investigate?

Hi, Boudica.

I'm pretty sure the scripts can be used in chrome and opera, but as I'm a firefox user it's what I know, so you need to start with firefox, then install the greasemonkey addon, restart firefox and install the 2 scripts, the Google Maps one and the Ordnance Survey one. Next time you visit a geocaching.com map page you should have the extra maps as options on the right hand side dropdown.

Good luck

Edited by The Frosties!

Hi, Boudica.

I'm pretty sure the scripts can be used in chrome and opera, but as I'm a firefox user it's what I know, so you need to start with firefox, then install the greasemonkey addon, restart firefox and install the 2 scripts, the Google Maps one and the Ordnance Survey one. Next time you visit a geocaching.com map page you should have the extra maps as options on the right hand side dropdown.

Good luck

I see i didn't realise you had to be using firefox, never tried anything other than windows IE. But now typing this on newly installed firefox browser. Thank you very much Frosty(ies) that's very nice seeing the OS maps, I love OS maps, what else can I do :P ?

, what else can I do :P ?

A greasemonkey script I really like is the Forum Tidy one (Get it from Graculu's Follow the arrow) This puts a little x by the side of each forum thread - click on it and that thread disappears - you can get it back again by clicking on the down arrow to the right of your name at the top of the page and then clicking on Show ignored topics.

You can also higlight threads you want to follow

A greasemonkey script I really like is the Forum Tidy one (Get it from Graculu's Follow the arrow) This puts a little x by the side of each forum thread - click on it and that thread disappears - you can get it back again by clicking on the down arrow to the right of your name at the top of the page and then clicking on Show ignored topics.

Thanks for this - really neat thing. I've oft thought there were too many pinned threads, now I can just shuffle them out of the way :)