Web guard programs may filter logs and others

Geo-Imp

Some people have noticed that AVIRA web guard filters logs and maps -- meaning you cannot see the logs or the map tiles. Perhaps other virus scanning programs might also be over sensitive! If you experience such problems, try to adjust the parameters of your virus scanner and perhaps consider to change. In our case, AVIRA apparently delivered an update that appears to account for the problem!

I am using Avira Premium Suite (actual update) and it still doesn't work :(

If I add Groundspeak.com and geocaching.com to the list of exceptions, I can see the map tiles but still no logs

Please help!

EDIT

After another update of Avira, maps seem to work now. For seeing the logs, I had to turn off GC Little Helper Script...

Edited by austriaka

If I add Groundspeak.com and geocaching.com to the list of exceptions, I can see the map tiles but still no logs

Please help!

EDIT

After another update of Avira, maps seem to work now. For seeing the logs, I had to turn off GC Little Helper Script...

I have the same problem unfortunately but I can't see where add 'exceptions' and how do you turn off the GC Little Helper Script please? Any help appreciated.

Please help!

EDIT

I have the same problem unfortunately but I can't see where add 'exceptions' and how do you turn off the GC Little Helper Script please? Any help appreciated.

Please help!

EDIT

I'm getting the same problem, can't see any logs. Have Avira & updated it since the problems began last night but it's made no difference at all. I too have no idea how to turn off GC Little helper Script or add geocaching.com & Groundspeak.com to the list of exceptions. I can't drop off or pick up trackables either since last night.

The menu bar on top of the page ("Learn", "Your Profile", etc) does not work properly. Until yesterday a sub menu opened when the mouse was over a menu item. Now it does not open any more. When clicking on it, the first entry of the sub menu opens, but how can I access the other sub menu items?

I'm using Firefox 10.0.1 on Windows XP.

UPDATE: This also seems to be related to the Avira Webguard, like described here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290431

When I disable the webguard, the menu bar works properly. But this cannot be the solution...

Edited by tadaima

I have found a solution to not being able to see logs. I use Avira and found that if I turn off the web protection it allows me to view the maps, logs and all the other missing information, I can also drop off/pick up collectables - phew! I'm not sure if this is a long term solution but it has helped overcome the problem of dropping off trackables for the time being. Once finished on the geocaching website I turned the web protection back on again.

Have any of you reported this to the creators of Avira? The onus is on them to fix their product so that it doesn't break legitimate websites/software.

Not yet but will do, spent so much time trying to find a solution this morning, I haven't got anything else done yet!

Have any of you reported this to the creators of Avira? The onus is on them to fix their product so that it doesn't break legitimate websites/software.

Not yet but will do, spent so much time trying to find a solution this morning, I haven't got anything else done yet!

They might be able to fix it faster than you can, if they know about it.

And why did this occur after the update of gc.com? Apparently some sort of code is used, that could be interpreted as something that is blocked for security reasons. It is the responsibility of GS to deliver websites that work proper or to contact Antivir to check what happens.

And why did this occur after the update of gc.com? Apparently some sort of code is used, that could be interpreted as something that is blocked for security reasons. It is the responsibility of GS to deliver websites that work proper or to contact Antivir to check what happens.

AV & web filtering companies make mistakes like this all the time. They miscategorize websites/software, don't review reports closely enough for veracity, or have bad heuristics which produce false positives.

I recently read about one of Symantec/Norton's AV products falsely identifying a programmer's legitimate program that he was writing as a virus, which caused a lot of headaches for him - he couldn't even execute his own code! A few weeks ago, I had to report a prospective vendor's website to our web filtering people because it was blocked - someone had miscategorized the site as social networking or a blog, when in fact it was a corporate software support portal. These things happen all. The. Time.

How can Groundspeak be expected to fully test their website with every possible web filter & AV solution? It's possible that GS hasn't even heard of Avira - I had to go look it up to find out whether it was some strange eastern European AV program.

btw: the world doesnt ends at your east or west coast...and Germany is not eastern Europe <_<

Not sure what relevance this has to my post. How would I know that Avira is from Germany if, as I wrote, I've never heard of it before? It could have been from eastern Europe or Outer Mongolia for all I know.