New Maps - HORRID!

I agree that for urban caching satellite views are helpful (even though the accuracy your are used to is not avaible in my area even for the very, very best maps) and good maps as well, but they are still available on the cache pages.

But for how much longer are those Google maps on the cache pages available? For all I know, the next update will do away with them as well. And based on my experience, it likely will!

I called it! :P

Except that the Google Maps link is still on every cache page. Here's a screenshot that someone else posted in another thread that shows the Google Maps link. That's what the caches that I've looked at show (even with Greasemonkey turned off)

capture44.jpg

I agree that for urban caching satellite views are helpful (even though the accuracy your are used to is not avaible in my area even for the very, very best maps) and good maps as well, but they are still available on the cache pages.

But for how much longer are those Google maps on the cache pages available? For all I know, the next update will do away with them as well. And based on my experience, it likely will!

I called it! :P

Except that the Google Maps link is still on every cache page. Here's a screenshot that someone else posted in another thread that shows the Google Maps link. That's what the caches that I've looked at show (even with Greasemonkey turned off)

capture44.jpg

"Poor job of circling but still valid."

- Starbrand, March 27, 2012

Even I can figure out how to use Google maps when necessary. The MapQuest powered by Leaflet aerial views are, indeed, atrocious. But, then again, the newer Google maps are pretty bad! "Oh. We'll use whatever we can find, even though there are a lot of mistakes. Help us correct our mistakes." That seems pretty bad to me! "Oh. We may be right"?

e1edca20-2d7e-470c-a4bf-73ffd85e0ab2.jpg

The Google Map

9ffbe24a-a633-4ce9-b64a-b7ad197d08dc.jpg

The Leaflet Map

31fa376a-ab2b-477f-a0a3-1731a6d04686.jpg

The Topo Map

Leaflet seems to have updated recently. It used to show the same as Google. But Google is horrendously wrong! (Seems to be Google's attitude. 'We're right until you update us.') I don't really care where the fences are. That is in the military reservation. I won't go there.

On the other fin, Google's aerial maps are far superior to Leaflet/MapQuest's.

Even I can figure out how to use Google maps when necessary. The MapQuest powered by Leaflet aerial views are, indeed, atrocious. But, then again, the newer Google maps are pretty bad! "Oh. We'll use whatever we can find, even though there are a lot of mistakes. Help us correct our mistakes." That seems pretty bad to me! "Oh. We may be right"?

<snip>

Leaflet seems to have updated recently. It used to show the same as Google. But Google is horrendously wrong! (Seems to be Google's attitude. 'We're right until you update us.') I don't really care where the fences are. That is in the military reservation. I won't go there.

On the other fin, Google's aerial maps are far superior to Leaflet/MapQuest's.

How else would you expect Google to do it? I mean, seriously, what's your 100% effective solution for getting every single road in the country 100% correct every single time?

Roads change. Updates have to be made. There may be a period of time when the maps have not been updated. It's the same across all map systems.

I have to agree and say that I'm very disappointed with the new mapping on the website. I find myself running the site maps and Google maps at the same time on the PC at home so that I can sort out a new hunt.

The lack of any usable aerial imagery is the real killer as there is nothing like the ability to get your head around the terrain before you go out.

Yes I agree that it would cost money to use the Google mapping service and this is an alternative. It matters not how much you sell the "free" maps to me, I can see that the emperor is in fact naked! What I mean is that the mapping may have more detail but there is no photo images and the servers are obviously a lot less meaty than those used by Google as the maps take an age to download.

Don't pretend this is an adequate solution to the problem guys, its not. Please sort this out and get Google maps back.

Maybe Google should buy out Groundspeak?....

It looks like this topic has been beaten to death but I feel I need to express my dislike of the new maps as well. Living in where I am in Canada, many of the layers are just a 'blackhole', and there is absolutely no satellite imagery at all with the new maps. I understand Google has changed their licensing models and it's probably costing GC some more cash to use them, but as a paying customer, I'd be willing to fork out a few extra dollars a year to get maps that actually work for my area.

As it stands, I feel no need to renew my subscription when it expires in a few months. I'm paying for a 'package' to assist my geocaching that is not only PQ's but also access to other features like maps, and with the cheap, opensource maps that GC decided to use, I'm not willing to pay for this any longer. Perhaps GC should look to (shudder) Bing maps instead; not my favourite but much better than the free ones as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with the "horrid". There is no longer the choice of which caches to show (traditional, all except my own, ones I haven't got, etc.). As we live in a spot where most of them are out in the countryside, once you zoom out far enough to get an idea of where they are in relation to yourself, the secondary roads all disappear, the caches aren't marked anymore as smiley faces for the ones you have got, and if you keep zooming out, rather than not showing anything if there are more than 500 caches, IT INCLUDES THEM ALL and you can't seem anything but green. Also can't get the satellite maps anymore which really helps travelling around the countryside so you can see swamps, etc, that you might want to drive around. Would have been nice to at least have an option to "upgrade" or not. Would love to have kept what I had!

It looks like this topic has been beaten to death but I feel I need to express my dislike of the new maps as well.

Would have been nice to at least have an option to "upgrade" or not. Would love to have kept what I had!

I'll point both of you to this post by Jeremy in another topic announcing the imminent return of Google Maps for premium members.

I am not happy with the new maps when it comes to a satellite zoom view. I get blocked image of them while other areas seem to load. The blocked areas have a camera in the center with a slash sign going through the camera. What is that all about? I guess this is the way it's going to be from now on. :anitongue:

It looks like this topic has been beaten to death but I feel I need to express my dislike of the new maps as well.

Would have been nice to at least have an option to "upgrade" or not. Would love to have kept what I had!

I'll point both of you to this post by Jeremy in another topic announcing the imminent return of Google Maps for premium members.