Geocaching.com site update Feb 14th, 2012

OpinioNate

I don't know if this has already been requested, but can we please get the yellow dot icon that indicate a premium member cache back on the map. If I'm looking at the map from a distance away, and I see a cache, I click on it thinking that it is a cache that I can get until the balloon pops up and I realize that it is a premium cache. Makes it difficult to eyeball the map and plan an excursion based on cache density. Thank you. --Dulce-Joy

You can zoom in one level and look for circles or squares.

Thanks, but no thanks. Can we please get the yellow dot back? Thank you.

You are doing exactly what I asked you not to do. You are hung up on GOOGLE MAPS. I said “all the people are asking for is the return of functional satellite/aerial maps via geocaching.com using whatever browser they choose to use”. Nowhere does that statement say GOOGLE MAPS.

The problem is google maps IS the defacto standard. Any other map service brought in would instantly be criticized in the same way mapquest/openstreetmap are. Groundspeak does not make maps obviously, and owns very few satellites for taking photo imagery. I suppose the corporate jet could be used to take bing style shots from the plane as the executives travel from Mega event to Mega event, but that would take some time.

Seriously ... what other options are there besides google maps that provide the detail and complete data set? I don't think there are any, at least not many. There are some companies that specialize in aerial photography, but they would cost an arm and a leg and would be very incomplete.

Thanks, but no thanks. Can we please get the yellow dot back? Thank you.

No, we will not be reversing that change - more people see the cache type as more important that the premium status and prefer that the behavior remains as it is currently.

Okay, but there are more premium caches than there is diversity of caches (in other words, most are traditional caches). This is only for when they are zoomed out.

To all those who adamantly defend Groundspeak’s map changes:

Don’t get hung up on Google Maps and don’t assume that everyone wants to use Firefox with Greasemonkey to get around the problem. All the people are asking for is the return of functional satellite/aerial maps via geocaching.com using whatever browser they choose to use. There is nothing unreasonable about that request.

I absolutely agree with the previous post. The thing I don't understand is that if you go to MapQuest the satellite works just fine. It seems like there is some bug that could get rid of the grey boxes of abyss.

Edited by nfmike

This new map is SO slow. :tired:

Slow doesn't really describe it properly. Slow indicates that it will eventually be there. My experience, except on one single solitary attempt about a week ago, is that they never load completely, but give a checkerboard pattern covering about 50% of the desired area. We might as well say GC.Com no longer offers maps. I have a relatively fast machine (OSX 10.6.8) and a DSL line. The problem is most certainly at their end, yet I see no effort to fix it or even to indicate that a fix is coming.

The MapQuest Aerial tiles refuse to load consistently for me. The worst part is, the tile I most want to see is almost always blank. I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8, Chrome 18.0.1025.142, Safari 5.1.5 (6534.55.3), and Firefox 11.0. I never had any trouble with the Google Maps.

mapquestaerial.jpg

The new maps make my iTouch completely worthless for caching. :( Back to the ol' annoying prep work before setting out to cache days, yay. Not. There are things that would still make it work -- have the Bing birds-eye view images available the way the google satellite view was (I mean on the individual cache page, via the old "dynamic map" type thing, since the full-size all-caches maps don't load for BEANS), OR someone influential go pound on Google Earth's door and make them change the iPod app so it doesn't take input coordinates and transfer them to the nearest street address (USELESS!!!), OR someone make the Bing maps link from the cache page actually work on the iPod! It just defaults to someplace in Redmond, WA (hah hah) and doesn't show the cache it was linked from. Drives me nuts.

It just defaults to someplace in Redmond, WA (hah hah) and doesn't show the cache it was linked from. Drives me nuts.

I think some guy by the name of gates might have something to do with that since microsoft owns bing.

Oddly enough... but that doesn't explain why it won't show the cache on my iPod's Safari, when the link does just fine on my desktop pc. grump. (edited to rid post of smiley, a P is NOT a happy face!)

Edited by chamois-shimi & special K

First, I totally understand Geocaching.com's choice to let GoogleMaps go, BUT:

For Cachers outside of the US (in this case Germany) MapQuest and OpenStreetMap are no sufficient surrogates for GoogleMaps !!

It creates more difficulties than accessibility possibilities. And quite frankly, it helps to stop me from going out and hunting Geocaches....

As a premium member I would love to know how much of my fee would be usable for a further application of GoogleMaps.

Please, Geocaching.com, try to emphasize the "Caching-Needs" of your users outside of the US...

Happy Hunting (for those who are not "scared" of the new map system...)

First, I totally understand Geocaching.com's choice to let GoogleMaps go, BUT:

For Cachers outside of the US (in this case Germany) MapQuest and OpenStreetMap are no sufficient surrogates for GoogleMaps !!

It creates more difficulties than accessibility possibilities. And quite frankly, it helps to stop me from going out and hunting Geocaches....

As a premium member I would love to know how much of my fee would be usable for a further application of GoogleMaps.

Please, Geocaching.com, try to emphasize the "Caching-Needs" of your users outside of the US...

Happy Hunting (for those who are not "scared" of the new map system...)

I guess you didn't see the memo.