New maps still broken after such a long time

sejtam

I know this has been reported over and over.

The new maps are broken, broken, broken.

I have a PQ which displays a certain subset of caches only.

When I go to my 'pocket queries' page, and click on the map icon of that PQ, the new map

opens up, but it shows *everything*. Sure, it does place a '(!)' speech-bubble on those caches

that are part of that PQ, but due to the proliferation of all the other caches I am *not interested in

right now*, that map is useless.

On the left-hand side are 'layers'. They show *all* my pocket queries.

And no, there is *no way* to then go adn disable all the other PQs from being also shown

(clicking on such a PQ only makes it reload). Duh.

Worse, when I then switch to the old maps in thsi case, it loses the information that I was

only interested in that one PQ and still shows everything.

sigh, when is GC.com going to make maps usable again by

a) allowing only the old maps to be used

B) not forcing the display of *all* caches in the area on users whose search only returned

a subset??

This has been reported for more than a year now, and the lack of attention by gc.com is annoying.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh i am now sooooo waiting for this update!!!

Just hope that does not mean losing Google Maps at all for us Premium members...

Unfortunately it does. You would agree with the change if you saw just how exorbitant the cost would be to keep Google given their licensing changes. I'm hoping that Nate posts some details on that when he posts the release notes.

Ok then i suppose we will see a LOTS of complaining here :)

especially from people like me who lives in a remote area where Bing/Open/Whatever maps is Very poor on data in our sectors... the problem is that only Google has detauked map in our sectors...

So be it at least still able to use ou GPX in google earth or BaseCamp to have a detailed map but will be less fun for Map Browsing for cache ;(

Be prepared the MOB is comming ;) ;) ;)

Ok then i suppose we will see a LOTS of complaining here :)

especially from people like me who lives in a remote area where Bing/Open/Whatever maps is Very poor on data in our sectors... the problem is that only Google has detauked map in our sectors...

So be it at least still able to use ou GPX in google earth or BaseCamp to have a detailed map but will be less fun for Map Browsing for cache ;(

Be prepared the MOB is comming ;) ;) ;)

GSAK has a macro that displays to Google Earth.

Yeahhhhhhhhhh i am now sooooo waiting for this update!!!

Just hope that does not mean losing Google Maps at all for us Premium members...

Unfortunately it does. You would agree with the change if you saw just how exorbitant the cost would be to keep Google given their licensing changes. I'm hoping that Nate posts some details on that when he posts the release notes.

Sad to see the bottom end is more important than us paying members. I feel thats taking a step backward and it will upset alot of people.

Sad to see the bottom end is more important than us paying members. I feel thats taking a step backward and it will upset alot of people.

I just did the math. Based on the numbers given in the map announcement, it would have cost almost $8,000 per day to continue using Google Maps!

I have no idea how many "paying members" there are, but let's use a very conservative estimate of 8,000. That would mean you'd have to pay an additional $30 per month to continue using Google Maps. I'm sure there are several times more than 8,000, but nevertheless the increased cost is probably not something that most geocachers would be willing to bear.

Did you notice the first word in the name "Open Street Maps"? They are "open" and very easy to add new streets and trails. I would think that with this educated user base, OSM should improve very quickly.

The Open Street maps look really good, and I'm being optimistic that they are going to be a great feature, however since the update it doesn't matter which map I try to load it's not loading.

NewMap.jpg

The photo above was taken after sitting at that screen not zooming in or out for more than five minutes and it still hasn't loaded.

Hello from Sweden,

I can understand that the cost of using Google Maps could be a bit too much. But give us decent other maps instead. I'm not interested in looking att greyed out areas of maps even if they are Open.

Anyone knows of alternative sites to use instead of Geocaching.com? Naw! Thought so. They've got us by the .... That includes girls, whatever they are gotten by :-)

Regards

YXZA

The Open Street maps look really good, and I'm being optimistic that they are going to be a great feature, however since the update it doesn't matter which map I try to load it's not loading.

NewMap.jpg

The photo above was taken after sitting at that screen not zooming in or out for more than five minutes and it still hasn't loaded.

I have exactly the same problem.

Also, my maps do do not show street names.

Also, if i wait for more than 15 min, all my "found" caches on the page turn green (have not found yet).

Hello guys, this is really irritating. There's nothing comparable to Google maps in Europe. Why can't we use at least Bing maps ? They are worse than Google but they work. This Opens*** and MapQuest doesn't work at all. The only aerial map I've seen is a view of whole continent. Why am I paying for this crap ?

I just did the math. Based on the numbers given in the map announcement, it would have cost almost $8,000 per day to continue using Google Maps!

I have no idea how many "paying members" there are, but let's use a very conservative estimate of 8,000. That would mean you'd have to pay an additional $30 per month to continue using Google Maps. I'm sure there are several times more than 8,000, but nevertheless the increased cost is probably not something that most geocachers would be willing to bear.

Did you notice the first word in the name "Open Street Maps"? They are "open" and very easy to add new streets and trails. I would think that with this educated user base, OSM should improve very quickly.

I did the exact same math and agree that is a lot of money... However Google does have a Google Maps API for Business that has different pricing structure. you have to contact sales to figure out what the rates are, but logically it should be a lot lower then the numbers that a lot of people are quoting here. (me included).

I've fixed the checkerboard issue with the maps. If you do a hard refresh of your browser, this should go away.

-Raine

Refreshing the page works to clear the checkerboard maps loading/rendering but almost has to do be done each time -- where each refresh puts you back at the original coordinates, something to consider if you've panned to another area.

Subsequent problem is that zooming in to a region has refresh issues where icons are not scaling and are duplicated -- large aliased icon below a smaller rendered one. Maps are also not rescaling to the active window size but in random chunks -- parts of the maps are now to the zoomed in scale but other parts are not.

(Able to reproduce on both Firefox 9.0.1 and Chrome 18.0.1025.11 beta)

Edited by koharu

As far as the broken maps go, I'm extremely disappointed. We have only been caching since June 2011 but we've brought several people into the hobby and are premium members. Maybe the figures that you should be looking at is the number of paid members that you are getting ready to lose based on your decision not to continue using the Google Maps. Belly up and pay the price- you guys have ridden along for some time for free, now it's time to pay Google for what they provide. Raise my membership fees- overcharge for your travel bugs and trackables- do whatever you have to do except ask your members to take a step backwards in technology. If I'm going to be forced to use something inferior, I'll do it for free with another service. For me- you've got til June renewal, I'm not sure how long you have with others before the tide turns and you guys become irrelevant to the geocaching community.

Just like the previous post. With each update the site gets worse. I am not just talking about the crappy new maps, but the whole site in general. Is there a QA department at Groundspeak?

Now let's get back to the maps.

What prompted the downgrade in the maps? Just this morning I could use the maps like usual and now they don't even work. They NEVER refresh and I can't get the views that we ALL have come to depend on. Where is the Hybrid view??? The maps are useless without that view....well they are pretty useless now anyway.

I suggest a revert back to the previous version that actually worked around the world and I also suggest that a BETA sight be spawned so that WE, the actual users, can test it before another bad release is pooped onto us.

Edited by TommeGun

I'm not happy with the latest update, just one map; I always use the second one;

easier to work with and easier to check off the Founds ...

Neither a list of caches and no numbers on the map either, seems hard to work with

: ( No idea how to sort out which caches I can upload to the Gps-device...

Very disappointed. No satellite/aerial view at all (in uk), and while OSM/OCM /are/ indeed good, not being able to see aerial is a massive problem for me.

The update has also broken the greasemonkey script which showed OS maps and much fresher aerial pics, so doubly-smacked in the face here!

I need satellite/aerial. Without that I lose a lot of my enjoyment in planning routes and reviewing past visits.

Okay, decided to just try and make the best of it and plan a route for today using these junky maps. But I can't even get the dang map to load. My finds are still labeled as not found caches, and the enjoyment of caching is QUICKLY fading. I just spent the money in January to renew my PM, as well as the money for a new Oregon 450t. If I had known this was coming, I would have reconsidered!!! NOT HAPPY I really don't understand this step backwards to the DARK AGES!!

I miss the satellite view a lot. Yes, I can have that with GSAK, maps.google.com, ...., I know. But not with all caches visible. And, nice example to demonstrate the advantages of OSM-Maps in this Article http://blog.geocaching.com/2012/02/new-geocaching-com-maps/ , I'm pretty sure we can find other nice examples... Uhm yes, after the first visit in an area the maps could be better, I forgot it's open and I can enter what is missing.

And I also have checkerboards all over with the new maps - in addition after a few scrolls my finds are not longer recognized and filtered or displayed as a smiley. Sad.

You can now no longer use the maps correctly on IPad.

Clicking the cache does not bring up any details, making my account now unusable.

If you're talking about using the maps on GC.com via iPad's Safari web browser, that hasn't worked right for the past year, even when they were still using Google maps. It stopped working when Groundspeak changed from the old map format to the "new maps". The smileys/cache icons themselves would never show up anywhere on the maps in the Safari browser. I gave up on thinking it would ever get addressed since it only affected a certain subset of GC users. Now, with this newest update, the cache icons finally show up in Safari, but most of the map is just grayed out or takes 10-15 mins to download. Or crashes Safari. Guess what does work... the GC iPhone App maps. Guess who's maps it uses... Google!

Dear Groundspeak, I'm sure your reasons for moving away from Google maps are justifiable, by cost concerns among others. But if the replacement you put in Google's place is not at least equally as viable a solution as its predecessor, you only seek to disenfranchise your client base. A client base that by the way, is so loyal, that we can allow for allot of benefit of the doubt.

Maybe you guys are still working on it. Man I hope so. I'm sorry Google started this mess, forcing you to make some tough decisions. But if our consolation prize is such a step backwards that you start losing support among the masses, you'll have to make some tougher decisions to get the site back on track. Good luck! We're all watching.

Edited by cardsfans55

Dear Groundspeak, I'm sure your reasons for moving away from Google maps are justifiable, by cost concerns among others. But if the replacement you put in Google's place is not at least equally as viable a solution as its predecessor, you only seek to disenfranchise your client base.

I'm constantly amazed at the capacity of Geocaching.com members to complain. There is NO other "equally viable solution", hence the situation we have today. If you know of one that everyone else has overlooked, feel free to suggest it. If not, I suggest you direct your complaints at Google and Bing.

I don't like the situation, but I'm not going to blame it on Groundspeak when it was out of their hands.

A more realistic estimate: have a look at my calculation -> you'd have to pay + $2.60/year

Edited by DanPan
A more realistic estimate: have a look at my calculation -> you'd have to pay + $2.60/year

Except for a flaw because you're confusing geocaches vs. geocachers.

But I'll agree my estimate was high. I tend to agree with that other estimate that says about $10 per year. Heck, I'd be happy to even double the current price.

I agree. I have no problem with Groundspeak passing that cost onto me as a consumer.

The new maps suck. Take forever to load, leave gaps, and if you zoom in on icon while the map is loading (since it takes forever), it leaves large pixelated remnants of the bitmaps scattered all over.

The new maps are also almost useless here (very far outside the US).

Heck, the locally made Garmin maps (www.malfreemaps.com) are much better than what we get now, but nothing beat

the Google maps.

GC should at least enable them for premium members.

As far as the broken maps go, I'm extremely disappointed. We have only been caching since June 2011 but we've brought several people into the hobby and are premium members. Maybe the figures that you should be looking at is the number of paid members that you are getting ready to lose based on your decision not to continue using the Google Maps. Belly up and pay the price- you guys have ridden along for some time for free, now it's time to pay Google for what they provide. Raise my membership fees- overcharge for your travel bugs and trackables- do whatever you have to do except ask your members to take a step backwards in technology. If I'm going to be forced to use something inferior, I'll do it for free with another service. For me- you've got til June renewal, I'm not sure how long you have with others before the tide turns and you guys become irrelevant to the geocaching community.