Bad etiquette on a TB?

DCWarrior

We picked up a travel bug this weekend excitedly when we saw the goal. It's goal is to travel to other states and/or other countries. We thought this TB would be fun to grab, because we are headed to Jamaica for our 10 year anniversary and want to log some caches there. Not really thinking it through, we grabbed it but have not logged it yet, because we are not going on this trip until July and I later felt that maybe we shouldn't have grabbed it. So, what do you all think is the right thing to do here? Is that too long of a time to hold onto a TB to help it reach it's goal? I have three options, the way I see it. One, hold onto it until July. Two, place it back in the cache I took it from (would not be inconvenient, it is close to home). Or three, place it in another cache.

Your opinions are welcome. We don't want to tick the owner off.

Thanks.

You should always log a trackable you've retrieved as soon as possible to keep the cache's inventory accurate. If you don't, someone could be disappointed when they see the bug listed in the cache's inventory and expect it to be present in the cache :(

There is nothing wrong with holding onto it until July. You should send the bug owner an email first though so they know what your plans are. Trackable owners appreciate it when you keep them in the loop about where their trackables are and what's going on with them :)

Delayed logging is.... well.... a good way to forget logging altogether.

Not saying that you are forgetful, but is the way that bad habits are made, ya know. Prompt logging is just plain courtesy to other cachers, especially when retrieving and dropping trackables.

Holding one until July would be a rather long hold, I would not as they are meant to move, not sit for six months at a time. There is no harm in asking the Owner if it is OK. They may or they may not want it held for a specific trip. Certainly, they could advise best regarding their desires.

My 2¢ worth....

Communication is key. When you pick up a TB, log it. Otherwise, the next person at the cache may notice it listed but missing, and the TB owner may even mark it Missing, to get it out of cache inventory.

Place a nice note on the TB page about your intentions, and also write to the TO about your plan. Never make TB Owners guess what happened to their bug.

You may "visit" a TB in other caches for a while, so it remains in your posession. Then you can edit the logs "visiting local caches before the big trip" or whatever you want to say. I'd also suggest looking at Jamaican cache listings, and deciding on a couple of good candidates -- where the bug will fit, and where bugs don't get immediately stolen -- things like that.

We found our first TB on 1/11/12 (it had been in that cache since 7/5/11). The current goal is: "The Friendly Fish would like to visit caches near good fishing lakes" so we grabbed it thinking that we were headed south within a few weeks & could find a cache further away from here.

Unfortunately we have not been able to travel just yet so in the meantime we take it along with us to visit other caches. This weekend we are planning to attend a caching event & hope to find a good cache to place him. Or perhaps we'll meet a cacher who will be able to take him further away to another body of water. :)