is there a way to query for logs with a 'keyword'

ssterling

gc.com doesn't provide a way to search logs and since there's no way to bulk download a lot of logs for a lot of caches, you can't even do that on your PC. The only way I can think of is through a google kludge, such as: http://www.google.com/#q=site:geocaching.com+intitle%3A%22log+by%22+swim

The bolded part above isn't correct. The new API does allow you to download "lots of logs for a lot of caches". GSAK V8 has the "Get Recent Logs..." option under the Geocaching.com Access menu. You can then use the "Full Text Search" on the Set Filter dialog to search for text within logs.

gc.com doesn't provide a way to search logs and since there's no way to bulk download a lot of logs for a lot of caches, you can't even do that on your PC. The only way I can think of is through a google kludge, such as: http://www.google.com/#q=site:geocaching.com+intitle%3A%22log+by%22+swim

The bolded part above isn't correct. The new API does allow you to download "lots of logs for a lot of caches". GSAK V8 has the "Get Recent Logs..." option under the Geocaching.com Access menu. You can then use the "Full Text Search" on the Set Filter dialog to search for text within logs.

Thanks. :)

How many logs does that give you per cache?

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess you could guess them all. I don't have easy access to any such privileged application, so I don't consider API to be an option.

Edited by dfx

Edit: Thinking about it, I guess you could guess them all. I don't have easy access to any such privileged application, so I don't consider API to be an option.

I don't have GSAK either. I doubt the google thing will work. I was hoping to do a query in a say 2-5 mile radius and include kepwords from logs. Just something I'd wished for when at a location in the past. oh well... maybe they will add it later.

You can get as many logs as you want - there is a limit on many calls can be made to the API per minute and that is a factor in how long it takes - but you could get all the logs on a cache like GC79 (which has just a little shy of 2500 logs) if you want (it would take close to an hour and half to do so...).

GSAK can be downloaded and used for free, so I'm not sure "priviledged application" is accurate (though, if you mean that because it can use the API, maybe, but not really).

GSAK can be downloaded and used for free, so I'm not sure "priviledged application" is accurate (though, if you mean that because it can use the API, maybe, but not really).

That is exactly why. I'm not on Windows, so I could use it only by jumping through some hoops. And then eventually paying up, because the nag screen gets too... naggy. Of course it's privileged. I use my own scripts and database to handle all my GPX data (pretty much exactly what GSAK does, just without the GUI frontend). But I can't use the API because I don't have access to anything that's allowed to.

You are only permitted 6000 API calls / user / day with GSAK, you would use that up pretty quick.

You are permitted 6000 full-cache retrievals / user / day. The only limit on API calls is 30 calls/minute. There is no daily limit on log calls. Therefore, the only limiting factor on getting more logs is the per-minute limit. You can get 30 logs per call, so doing a rough calculation, you should be able to get 900 logs per minute, or 1,296,000 logs in a 24-hour day (assuming you're patient enough to wait that long :surprise: ). It took me about 4 hours to get all the logs on all 1900 caches in my area (210,000 logs).