Help with Puzzle Caches?

Tempo 0

Where do I go to get help understanding (not solving) puzzle caches.

Recently a few local cachers have begun trying to outdo each other by making very hard puzzle caches but not providing any clues whatsoever. I've messaged some of them asking for clues but they wont answer at all, let alone giving up clues. It turns out they're giving each other clues via email but general public cachers seem to be 'not invited'. All I want is a level playing field by getting help understanding some of these caches. Is there anywhere or anyone who can help in this regard?

Thanks guys.

"It turns out they're giving each other clues via email but general public cachers seem to be 'not invited'. All I want is a level playing field by getting help understanding some of these caches. Is there anywhere or anyone who can help in this regard?"

Sound like dirty play to me!!!

The are lots of resources around.. if you know where to look for them, of course. Try Googling 'geocaching puzzles' Here's a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.purplehell.com/ Purple Hell is good general puzzle website. lots of cool info there.

http://coord.info/GC25WQJ this is actually a puzzle cache site but has a ton of good info on it.

I'm sure there are plenty of others on here who can give you more info as well. Good luck!

The are lots of resources around.. if you know where to look for them, of course. Try Googling 'geocaching puzzles' Here's a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.purplehell.com/ Purple Hell is good general puzzle website. lots of cool info there.

http://coord.info/GC25WQJ this is actually a puzzle cache site but has a ton of good info on it.

I'm sure there are plenty of others on here who can give you more info as well. Good luck!

Wow ... I've learned a lot by seeing the listing of the last link above. Thanks a lot. :anibad:

How do you know it's "dirty play"? How do you know they're sharing clues with each other, but not with anyone else?

Just because these puzzle caches are being found only by a small group of people doesn't mean that they are giving each other an unfair advantage. The people in that group may just be the only ones that understand the advanced ciphers, or the advanced rocket surgery, or whatever other advanced concepts are required for solving the puzzles.

But here's an updated version of the post Pup Patrol referred to. I've added a couple additional resources that might help with extremely challenging puzzles:

According to section 4 of the geocaching.com terms of use, "You agree not to: [...] (m) Publish, on any Groundspeak owned web property, the solutions, hints, spoilers, or any hidden coordinates for any geocache without consent from the cache owner." However, here are some general puzzle tips (based in part on a puzzle-solving class event presented by The Rat a while ago):

Identify the theme. Check the cache title, the hint, the HTML source, the graphics (including names/URLs), any links (including URLs), whatever is at the posted coordinates, etc. If you can figure out the theme, then you should look for numbering systems that are associated with that theme (zip codes, athletes’ jersey numbers, episode numbers, product codes, etc.).

Around here, coordinates will have 15 digits, and will look like "N 37° xx.xxx W 122° xx.xxx". So when I'm solving a nearby puzzle, I look for a group of 15 things, and then I look for ways to get the digits 37xxxxx122xxxxx from them. In general, I look for ways to get the number 37 (or the digits 3 and 7) from something near the beginning of the puzzle, and the number 122 (or the digits 1, 2, and 2) from something near the middle of the puzzle. (Of course, you'll need to adjust this for the coordinates near you.)

Other useful resources include:

Puzzle Solving 101 Series (bookmark list)

Puzzle Shortcuts Series (bookmark list)

Solving Puzzle Caches (online article)

How Do I Solve All These $@! Puzzle Caches? (tutorial-style puzzle cache)

Puzzle FUNdamentals (archived event cache) and the Puzzle FUNdamentals resources on the GeocacheAlaska! education page

The GBA's Puzzle Cache FAQ (for puzzle designers, but useful for understanding how puzzle caches work)

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online.

Overview: Venona's 2011 ACTIVITIES

Overview: Venona's 2012 ACTIVITIES

It was a great question that you asked, and you've got some great answers and links - they're going to help me too, so thanks for asking it! Some puzzles seem to slot into place for me, whereas others....well, lets just say I pass on them after the grey matter has stalled.

As far as the really hard puzzles, asking for a hint and no reply? CO's prerogative, so I'd move on and try not to harbour any ill feelings - life is too short, and this is just a game.

Thanks, this is just the sort of thing I'm looking for..

Cheers!

I think you are on hard ground here. As you have said already, the CO's are not giving out any hints, I can only suggest getting in touch with other finders and ask them for help.

Rather than asking others that have already solved and found these caches, you might try to find other cachers in your area (or other cachers that like solving puzzles, but not necessarily in your area) that would also be interested in solving the puzzles and see if they'd like to collaborate on coming up with a solution.

If you’re interested in extremely challenging puzzles, then consider the online discussions of Venona’s ACTIVITIES in the GBA forums. The puzzles for this annual event are very challenging, intended to be solved by multiple people working together online.

You need to be registered and logged in to see any threads on the GBA forums.

You need to be registered and logged in to see any threads on the GBA forums.
Ah, thanks for the heads up. I thought you needed to be logged in only to post, but clearly I was mistaken.