Some sort of warning/confirmation?

ApeShaft

When you download a cache to your GPS/Phone and it's marked with "dangerous area" or "falling rocks" for instance - I think it would be a good idea if you have to confirm that you have read the warnings before you get the actual coordinates? It would be a pretty simple measure to increase safety for many geocachers?

What makes you think people are going to read warnings? Most Many don't read the cache page (so it seems). Few today can read signs, evidenced by needing a GPSr that verbally tells you what to do.

Truthfully though, if you think about it, requiring a person to acknowledge something as that qualifies as an Additional Logging Requirement, and ALRs are not allowed.

Confirm (acknowledge) to log the cache ~ requiring a photo (or other act) to log the cache.

It remains upon one's own shoulders that if it appears to be dangerous, they should opt out of getting that cache.

Portion(s) of Geocaching.com disclaimer linked from each and every cache page:

Cache seekers assume all risks involved in seeking a cache.
Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.
Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
how exactly do you think its possible to apply your suggestion to a PQ containing 1000 caches? :unsure:

Well, only about 200 of them would actually have a warning, so you'd have 200 pop-up boxes with the text of the warning and an OK button. You don't mind clicking OK 200 times do you? :anitongue:

And you're reading and understanding what the hazards are for each one, right? :anitongue:

how exactly do you think its possible to apply your suggestion to a PQ containing 1000 caches? :unsure:

Well, only about 200 of them would actually have a warning, so you'd have 200 pop-up boxes with the text of the warning and an OK button. You don't mind clicking OK 200 times do you? :anitongue:

And you're reading and understanding what the hazards are for each one, right? :anitongue:

Since I always load all caches in the area to my GPS (holds 12,000 caches), I may send the caches to my GPS 1000 times before I actually consider doing the cache.

I will read the cache page before I go seek the cache.

Your safety is not, and should not, be the resposibility of some background corporate entity. I know what is safe for me, I need to know 'my' limitations. If some computer starts picking out keywords or geographic regions that someone, at some time, had an injury, then I will be stuck back at home watching TV.

Good thought trend... but it would tick off a lot of folks.

I don't understand why this keeps coming up. As an adult, or impersonating one, safety is your sole responsibility. I don't need any popups or warnings on cache pages to keep me safe. I let my eyes and senses tell me when a cache is too dangerous for me. In my opinion that is the way it should be for everyone.

Whats with all the hate on this post? I also let my eyes and senses to let me know if something is too dangerous, I also use "common sense" as-well, it defiantly wont hurt to have something telling cachers of potential danger or to read the listing more carefully. And yes not everyone reads the listings or would pay attention to the new proposed feature of safety but I bet a lot would! doesn't even need to be a lot even if it helps just one cacher from getting hurt wouldn't it all be worth it? That's like saying not everyone recycles so im going to throw my recycling in the garbage. I think it is truly sad of the response to this post. The staff at geocaching website should look into this and perhaps think of adding something like an additional attribute?

Here's an example for you non believers. Perhaps there is a cache in the woods not to far from your house, you have no reason to believe that there should be any danger but there are dangers out there that you can't see with your eyes or senses, Hunting season could be in progress, bear cub season, cougars, any dangerous wildlife etc... just one of many

-Cheers

Virtually every public building here in California has warning signs that read:

This area contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Do you think people would be safer if they couldn't enter a building without confirming that they had actually read the warning signs?

As someone who caches out in the woods often because we're surrounded it by it here I always work under the assumption there maybe wild animals out there. I also am aware of when the various hunting seasons are. It's my responsibility to make sure I'm safe when I go out. It's not Groundspeak's or the cache owners but mine and mine alone. I alone know my limitations. I alone know what my strengths are. And I alone can figure out when I get to ground zero or even before I get to ground zero if this is a cache that is within my ability.

I don't want to be ignoring a bunch of warnings I have no intention of reading to look at attributes that may or may not be correct.

Turtle Sask, I don't see where there is any "hate" in any of these responses. There are a lot of calls to use "Common Sense" when caching. This is no different than any other activity one could participate in. As I said before, safety is the cacher's responsibility. It is not up to the CO, Groundspeak, or the Guvmint to keep you safe.

Here's an example for you non believers. Perhaps there is a cache in the woods not to far from your house, you have no reason to believe that there should be any danger but there are dangers out there that you can't see with your eyes or senses, Hunting season could be in progress, bear cub season, cougars, any dangerous wildlife etc... just one of many

Absolutely, positively and most certainly.... you betcha, eh?

That is why it's so much safer than caching in a city park, city woodlot, behind the church, in an alley, etc. At least the Wally-World video surveillance cameras, or the ATM camera may catch the kidnapping of a cacher -- for whatever that may be worth!

Sorry Turtle_Sask, but there is 'another' side to that same coin, dontchathink?

Not thrown as an argument, but many of us do not fear wild animals -- or hunting season for that matter. Again, it comes down to common sense, or at least limited knowledge put to sensible use.

Whats with all the hate on this post?

It isn't so much hate, but annoyance at the same topic coming up again for the umpteenth time in the last month or two. The prevailing opinion on these forums seems to be that there is no need for Groundspeak to "hold the hands" of every cacher. Like others have said, if you know you're going out into the woods, it's your own responsibility to learn about things like wildlife, hunting seasons, etc. If you don't feel you have enough information to safely venture into the woods, then don't.

Whats with all the hate on this post? I also let my eyes and senses to let me know if something is too dangerous, I also use "common sense" as-well, it defiantly wont hurt to have something telling cachers of potential danger or to read the listing more carefully. And yes not everyone reads the listings or would pay attention to the new proposed feature of safety but I bet a lot would! doesn't even need to be a lot even if it helps just one cacher from getting hurt wouldn't it all be worth it? That's like saying not everyone recycles so im going to throw my recycling in the garbage. I think it is truly sad of the response to this post. The staff at geocaching website should look into this and perhaps think of adding something like an additional attribute?

-Cheers

How are we going to list all the possible dangers on a cache page. What about driving to and from the cache? What about being mugged in the Wally World parking lot when going for that LPC?

Every single cache could be termed dangerous. That is why every cache page already has a warring on it.

Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution.

Absolutely, positively and most certainly.... you betcha, eh?

That is why it's so much safer than caching in a city park, city woodlot, behind the church, in an alley, etc. At least the Wally-World video surveillance cameras, or the ATM camera may catch the kidnapping of a cacher -- for whatever that may be worth!

Sorry Turtle_Sask, but there is 'another' side to that same coin, dontchathink?

Not thrown as an argument, but many of us do not fear wild animals -- or hunting season for that matter. Again, it comes down to common sense, or at least limited knowledge put to sensible use.

No your right if you happen to stumble upon a baby grizzly and her mother, absolutely nothing to be afraid of ... (sarcasm). I think most of you are missing the point, you guys are mentioning common sense but not every geocacher has "common sense" or what I would call it, knowledge of potential dangers in the area. not everyone knows all the dangers. I am still not impressed with these responses. and you say your not afraid of hunting season either "eh"? well im pretty sure those bullets aren't afraid of you either. you sound so tough dude you must be from america or something? also when you said " you betcha, eh?" im sure you looked at my profile and realized I was Canadian.

Totem clan

Your absolutely right you can't list every danger but im sure there could be some method of generalizing most dangers that most cachers aren't aware of and I also realize its not up to Groundspeak to "hold the hand" of every geocacher but I think the safety of geocachers is pretty important.

The Ateam

Maybe this topic is being brought up so often is because the topic is important and not going the way it should be. its just people replying to these posts does not represent all the geocachers. Im for it

and you say your not afraid of hunting season either "eh"? well im pretty sure those bullets aren't afraid of you either. you sound so tough dude you must be from america or something? also when you said " you betcha, eh?" im sure you looked at my profile and realized I was Canadian.

Actually, no I did not look at your profile, and until you stated that you were Canadian, I did not know that (I still have not looked). At any rate, it matters not in the least......

I am a resident of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan -- a Yooper. My phrases of "youbetcha, eh" (and others, if you search) are common speech here. Sorry that you think I would inflict regional sarcasm upon you. It's not my style. I do however, poke fun at 'our' speech oddities and peculiarities.

Grizzlies, no. A black sow with cubs ain't a picnic either, if you aren't aware of your surroundings. The cow moose with calf can also be quite a 'joyous' experience. The wolf in our backyard? I don't see that as a grand problem, either -- others here do, I don't. I concern myself more with the cougar that our DNR has steadfastly denied existed -- until one of their own employees got it on a game camera. Do I worry about it? No, but it is here -- so I make sure it knows I am here too, long before it sees me.

Am I a tough dude? I suppose that depends on your viewpoint. I have survived far more situations than even I care to think about. Does it make me "tough"? Not really, but certainly a well-experienced "dude".

Now, as far as making a prejudicial statement as "you must be from america or something?"........ tread lightly as your slip is showing.

Yes, my quoted post was full of sarcasm, but sarcasm to show the flip side of that coin, not to malign you, Canadians, Brits, French, Chinese or anyone else.

I can BTW, just about skip a stone to my neighbors and friends in (Northern) Ontario....

Virtually every public building here in California has warning signs that read:

This area contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
Do you think people would be safer if they couldn't enter a building without confirming that they had actually read the warning signs?

How many people read license agreements before the click "OK"?

Totem clan

Your absolutely right you can't list every danger but im sure there could be some method of generalizing most dangers that most cachers aren't aware of and I also realize its not up to Groundspeak to "hold the hand" of every geocacher but I think the safety of geocachers is pretty important.

That is already done vai the attributes and the disclaimer (see my post above). What do want? For the Frog to come give you a briefing before each caching trip?

How many people read license agreements before the click "OK"?
LOL... At a previous job, one of my duties was making sure the correct EULA (End User License Agreement) was being displayed by the installers. For some reason, the company attorney thought it was very important for the user to ignore the correct verbiage.

Driving on public roads is pretty dangerous. Maybe we should automatically add the Dangerous Area attribute to any cache that requires driving to the trailhead (not to mention all the P&G caches).

Totem clan

That is already done vai the attributes and the disclaimer (see my post above). What do want? For the Frog to come give you a briefing before each caching trip?

I've had enough of some of you, I was simply saying that if there are other methods of making it safer for geocachers then great! simple as that and you are here trying to pretty much say no. Totem clan just because I said something about adding more attributes or something, I wasn't literally implying that I was just expanding on more ideas that I could think of in the few minutes I was typing. Im not going to waste any more of my time trying to defend myself when I know that im right. Why not thinking of ways to make it more safer for everyone rather then have this topic come up ever so often.... you wondering why it comes up so often??? its really funny reading your comments! sticks and stones ...

-Cheers

Edited by Turtle_Sask

Ok seriously. If you are going to be caching in the wilderness you need to do research into it. Having dealt with any number of unprepared tourist wandering the woods here I can honestly say I have little to no sympathy that wants their wild bubble wrapped and wants everyone else to do ther wilderness prep for them. If a person is not prepared to go into an environment they need to research and learn or just stay out. A warning on a website that is not read will not fix a lazy outdoorsman.

Totem clan

I've had enough of some of you, I was simply saying that if there are other methods of making it safer for geocachers then great! simple as that and you are here trying to pretty much say no. Totem clan just because I said something about adding more attributes or something, I wasn't literally implying that I was just expanding on more ideas that I could think of in the few minutes I was typing. Im not going to waste any more of my time trying to defend myself when I know that im right. Why not thinking of ways to make it more safer for everyone rather then have this topic come up ever so often.... you wondering why it comes up so often??? its really funny reading your comments! sticks and stones ...

-Cheers

Well, you're more than welcome to be "done with" me if that's your wish as it's obvious we'll never agree on this in any form. I was raised in a time when people were responsible for themselves and their actions. I still live by this. If someone can't take care of themselves nor seek the information they need through many sources currently available before going into an unknown area, then I have little sympathy for them. It all boils down to being prepared and taking care of yourself.

However, I think by "being done" with anyone that doesn't agree with you would be a bit shortsighted. This is only one issue in the immense world of geocaching and meny of the responders in this thread are very helpful and knowledgable.

Edited by Fiver1
Whats with all the hate on this post?
What hate? I don't see any hate. Disagreement? Yes. But hate? No.

Hate? No. But snarky disagreement? Yes.

and that's why so many decide to avoid the forums :P

Anyway...

I'd say that if the CO knows of dangers and wants to make sure cachers know about them, they have 1) attributes, and 2) the description.

If the dangers are sufficient enough that they would warrant an explicit disclaimer that must be read before getting coordinates, I'm sure they would care enough to disclaim the dangers themselves within the description -- and that would even reach more eyes than a web-only UI feature, which wouldn't work for mobile/offline users.

If the danger is really bad, make the warning big and bold red. Lots of ways to get around a lack of warning.

Heck, make it a puzzle or multi so the user HAS to read the description to determine the coordinates, in case you think they might just skip over the warning :P

That said, please excuse the forum snark. Repetition can make some veteran users short tempered with new/rare visitors asking legitimate questions for the first time... *dons flamesuit*

Edited by thebruce0

When you download a cache to your GPS/Phone and it's marked with "dangerous area" or "falling rocks" for instance - I think it would be a good idea if you have to confirm that you have read the warnings before you get the actual coordinates? It would be a pretty simple measure to increase safety for many geocachers?

No thanks...

I hate this warning messages. Once is enough. I get that when I come to Geocaching.com including on my iOS devices.

My vehicle GPS device asks EVERY single time I have started my vehicle since I bought it in 2006. It won't let me see or do anythning until I hit the "I ACCEPT" button. I am sick and tired of having to hit that button every single time I start my truck! seriously...

SO NO! NO! NO! NO!

Now... on a similar idea, that I would like to see... Is more "Dangerous" type attributes one could add to a cache listing, giveing us more idea of what kind of dangers lurk with finding this cache.

Think of it similar to the different ratings movies/TV shows have... one for Violance, one for Language, one for Sex.

"Dangerous" type attributes that I think should be added, include:

"Roadways" These are caches that are located in the medians of roads, or in gaurdrails, etc... Any cache GZ that is located near a roadway where cachers should be watching out for traffic.

"Water" Such as in dry creek beds, near bridges. When I lived in albuquerque, NM There were signs all over the Aroyos because of possible flash flooding even on a clear sunny day. Many people have been washed away and drowned because of that. Same thing happens all over the country. People aren't always watching out. At least with this attribute, one can be somewhat alerted that their could be a water danger nearby.

I am sure there are other "Dangerous" type attributes. But the point is, add the attributes.. Don't add a warning thing that we all have to click on, every darn time we want to view the cache. Thats going overboard!

TGC

Turtle Sask,

If you are so afraid of the dangers, maybe this game is not for you. You should lock the doors and not go out. The whole world is filled with danger. But make sure the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and that you turn off the gas stove when done. And check your electric wires for fraying, and GFCIs. Being in your home can be dangerous too.

I see no hate in this thread, but I do see you trying to push a point that doesn't need pushing. People have to decide for themselves. Pushing for more rules and regulations only takes away our freedoms. I like my freedom.

When you download a cache to your GPS/Phone and it's marked with "dangerous area" or "falling rocks" for instance - I think it would be a good idea if you have to confirm that you have read the warnings before you get the actual coordinates?
I wonder how long it would take for someone to release a Greasemonkey script to kill/bypass the nag messages...
When you download a cache to your GPS/Phone and it's marked with "dangerous area" or "falling rocks" for instance - I think it would be a good idea if you have to confirm that you have read the warnings before you get the actual coordinates?
I wonder how long it would take for someone to release a Greasemonkey script to kill/bypass the nag messages...

You mean like GSAK and handheld GPS?

DONE.

That was quick.

Turtle Sask,

If you are so afraid of the dangers, maybe this game is not for you. You should lock the doors and not go out. The whole world is filled with danger. But make sure the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working and that you turn off the gas stove when done. And check your electric wires for fraying, and GFCIs. Being in your home can be dangerous too.

I see no hate in this thread, but I do see you trying to push a point that doesn't need pushing. People have to decide for themselves. Pushing for more rules and regulations only takes away our freedoms. I like my freedom.

OMG seriously, Ive never said once that I was scared to go outdoors or am I scared of anything that im aware of, just thought that it would be good for some invention of warning people of dangers that they may not be aware of. And "no hate" my a** a few of you are just hating in a different form, lengthy paragraphs without profanity. In my opinion that's worse. This Hobby is for me one of my favorite and I might just now avoid these forums to avoid people like you. And "haters" always try to get the last message in the thread proving what a smart a** they are. Next person will prove it!

Turtle Sask,

OMG seriously, Ive never said once that I was scared to go outdoors or am I scared of anything that im aware of, just thought that it would be good for some invention of warning people of dangers that they may not be aware of. And "no hate" my a** a few of you are just hating in a different form, lengthy paragraphs without profanity. In my opinion that's worse. This Hobby is for me one of my favorite and I might just now avoid these forums to avoid people like you. And "haters" always try to get the last message in the thread proving what a smart a** they are. Next person will prove it!

That 'next person' would be me. (my kids played this silliness until they were 5 or 6)

The caches have attributes and descriptions. If you are expecting the Reviewers or your GPS or some other higher being to determine what is a 'dangerous situation' then we would need a detailed criteria of what you would consider to be dangeous. I mean detailed... how close to the road, how close to a rock, how many rattlesnakes per square mile in the desert.

If you want them filtered, you setup your PQ to exclude caches with the 'dangerous area' is set.

The controls are in place already. They may not be what and how you think they should be, but they are already in place.

Turtle Sask,

That 'next person' would be me. (my kids played this silliness until they were 5 or 6)

The caches have attributes and descriptions. If you are expecting the Reviewers or your GPS or some other higher being to determine what is a 'dangerous situation' then we would need a detailed criteria of what you would consider to be dangeous. I mean detailed... how close to the road, how close to a rock, how many rattlesnakes per square mile in the desert.

If you want them filtered, you setup your PQ to exclude caches with the 'dangerous area' is set.

The controls are in place already. They may not be what and how you think they should be, but they are already in place.

I realize that you can't tell people of how many rattle snakes per square inch and what not but I was thinking that if there are MORE ways out there that can make geocaching more safe then why not introduce them, simple as that.

-Cheers

Don't forget the disclaimer (in red on every cache page):

Please note

Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Which leads to:

If a specific cache has some other significant danger the CO wants cachers to be aware of, they can easily add a warning in their description.