Best App For Android phone Samsung galaxy Acw

I have just bought a Samsung galaxy Ace phone which runs the android system and would like to use it for geocaching so can somebody please suggest a good app that I can use. It does not matter if it is a free one or a paid for one. Also has any body tried the go beagle app is it any good. B)

I've not tried geo beagle, so can't comment on that, but have used both neongeo (paid) and c:geo (free) and think neongeo is probably the more polished of the 2 products (and uses the API for fast access to GC.com data), while c:geo seems to do slightly more (I can project a waypoint in c:geo, no idea how to do it in neongeo)

Edited by The Frosties!

I downloaded Ge-org and installed it on my phone and set up the home location.I have found out how to install waypoints onto the

memory card in the phone.There is a button in the app that takes you direct to the geocaching.com website where you can look for the cache you want to find and when you look at the Google maps link at the bottom of the cache it automatically stores the waypoint into the Ge-org database on the phone.You can go to the database select which cache you want push the button at the bottom that says nav and it will take you to the cache like a sat-nav then you can go to compass mode to find the cache. :D

Edited by Ray23746

After yesterdays upgrade and the changes to the map screen, I can still access Google Maps and satellite pic's through 'Neongeo'. I haven't used it extensively, but it did lead me to a cache (successfully) when I turned it on by chance to see whats was about. Still learning to use all its features. GPS accuracy was good through phone and the compass pointed in the right directions when moving up to and away from the GZ. Able to drag down up to 50 caches at a time around your location and displays the cache page in an easy to read format. Its quite good but does have some issues - although they may be operator ones rather than system :)

I have just bought a Samsung galaxy Ace phone which runs the android system and would like to use it for geocaching so can somebody please suggest a good app that I can use. It does not matter if it is a free one or a paid for one. Also has any body tried the go beagle app is it any good. B)

Cachbox works great on my Archos 10 wish I had a little more info !Archos has no GPS Gbeagle would not work

Edited by litboat

I am a complete Newbie and have just bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone to help get me started. It works on the Android Gingerbread system - and it's brilliant in most respects, although I'm still getting to grips with it.

After installing 3 Freebies c.geo; GeoBeagle and Benelux - none of which were easy to follow, esp. for a Newbie - I paid £6:19 to install Geocaching.com app from Groundspeak - it's got everything you would want to go Geocaching (I would think!)

As long as you save the Caches, you want to use locally, in the Off-line lists - it works fine when u r out and about. It has the options of a compass, map, or directions - similar to a SAT NAV ("spoken" or in blow by blow lists of directions).

However, we went out this a.m. to find a Gravestone Clue. We found the Grave no problems - then there was a cryptic clue to be followed to find the actual cache. (Poss. I was trying to run b4 I'd learned to walk but it was very close-by where I live and I didn't have a lot of spare time!)

I think we needed to input extra co-ordinates to find the actual hidden cache but neither of us could work out how to input the new co-ordinates into the phone. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions as to how to do this on my particular phone (i.e. where and how, pref. while still in the Geocaching programme?) - I would be grateful for their advice.

P.S. How do you get your AVATAR Pic to show on your Posts?? I've chosen one and it shows on my Profile page but try as I might I can't get it to show on here????

Edited by Birdbrain16

P.S. How do you get your AVATAR Pic to show on your Posts?? I've chosen one and it shows on my Profile page but try as I might I can't get it to show on here????

Your Account Details

Go to "Your Account Details" and right next to where you chose for your Profile pic is for your avatar, hope this helps.

I've not tried geo beagle, so can't comment on that, but have used both neongeo (paid) and c:geo (free) and think neongeo is probably the more polished of the 2 products (and uses the API for fast access to GC.com data), while c:geo seems to do slightly more (I can project a waypoint in c:geo, no idea how to do it in neongeo)

Just a note that projecting a waypoint is possible within Neongeo. You can decide to project when you add a personal POI by a long press on the map. I think this functionality could be made a little better by being able to project directly from a cache's coords as I am not sure that option has been added yet.

I am in the same boat - I really like the ease of use of the geocaching.com app on my samsung galaxy tab - but can't figure out how to input my own coordinates. I need to figure it out soon, as I am planning on doing a "39 Clues" puzzle challenge in April. Anyone know how to do this?

I could tell you how to add personal coordinates in Neongeo :D

FYI, there is a new 30 day free trial of Neongeo which is fully functional.

After using an app that is developed by a single actual geocacher (not a team/business of programmers) and very responsive to user feedback and requests (almost weekly updates at times) not to mention a Live Map feature that is currently being tested hopefully rolled out by this weekend that may be superior to the former c:geo capability ... you may find it worth the small price :)

Full Disclosure ... I am just a user and Moderator. I get nothing out of more people buying the app besides more posts to the forums to respond to B)

Edited by TheBlizzles

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions as to how to do this on my particular phone (i.e. where and how, pref. while still in the Geocaching programme?) - I would be grateful for their advice.

1. Select cache.

2. Tap "Navigate to Geocache"

3. Tap "Map"

4. Press "Menu" hardware button (the capacitive button on the bottom row of your phone)

4. Tap "Add Waypoint"

5. Yay! You can put in new waypoints now!

I want to mention two other android apps of newer date. Both are free and can also utilize the Groundspeak API

to query caches online (which is most useful for premium members only).

Both apps work basically with offline databases and support also offline (osm) maps.

GDAK (Geocaching Droid Army Knife)

This app can directly open GSAK (the pc software) Databases when they were copied to the sd card.

a:Drake

This app can (but don't has to) work together with the windows software "GeoGet". GeoGet is a software for managing geocaches on the pc. It has similar functions like GSAK.

I did not try these apps out personally but probably will in the future if the Groundspeak app continues to produce "forced close" on my phone.

I am messing around with a:drake, but can not figure out how to have the search give me a result of caches that I have NOT found. Each time I do a search, the result is all caches from my location. I am sure it is in the settings, but I have not figured it out yet. I am not using the "GeoGet" app. I may just stick with c/geo since it works well.

Does anyone know what needs to be set so I can receive a search result on non-found caches from my current location?

I am messing around with a:drake, but can not figure out how to have the search give me a result of caches that I have NOT found. Each time I do a search, the result is all caches from my location. I am sure it is in the settings, but I have not figured it out yet. I am not using the "GeoGet" app. I may just stick with c/geo since it works well.

Does anyone know what needs to be set so I can receive a search result on non-found caches from my current location?

1. Go to the main screen of a:Drake

2. Tap "Filter"

3. Tap "Have found?"

4. Select "Not Found"

5. Press (hardware) back button

6. Tap "Search"