Create a cache series/challenge

lost patrol

If this is covered somewhere on the forum I apologize cause I just can't find it. I've been caching for some time and have a small number of my own various types of caches but the ones that I enjoy finding the most have been the cache series types. To be clear this is a group of caches that are usually published all at the same time, each cache contains a clue which needs to be put together so that the coordinates for the final can be determined (see GC1NJDZ South Jersey Check Point Challenge). This is not like the new challenge feature where you have to perform some kind of feat (take a picture, visit a location) but a group of physical, distinct, individual caches. They seem to be started by geocaching clubs but I can't find any information on them. Can anyone help?

Anyone can publish a series of caches (as you mention). You don't need to be a part of a club or group. You can create a series yourself - all you need is an 'idea', an area to hide the caches, and be willing to maintain them.

Here in PA where I live...there are lots of different types of series. Myself and another cacher have implemented a Battleship Game - and there are probably a total of a dozen people (locals, friends) who have helped hide all 100 grid caches and 5 ship caches.

Another local cacher just setup a CLUE series...18 caches and a final.

So ... you can do it yourself or grab some of your local caching friends/family and plan a series together!!

It's fun!!

Edited by Lieblweb

Anyone can publish a series of caches (as you mention). You don't need to be a part of a club or group. You can create a series yourself - all you need is an 'idea', an area to hide the caches, and be willing to maintain them.

Here in PA where I live...there are lots of different types of series. Myself and another cacher have implemented a Battleship Game - and there are probably a total of a dozen people (locals, friends) who have helped hide all 100 grid caches and 5 ship caches.

Another local cacher just setup a CLUE series...18 caches and a final.

Ok, I think I answered my own question here. My concern was how to place the final but make it an actual cache as far as the geocaching website was concerned. By looking at my example GC1NJDZ I see that the final is listed as an "Unknown Cache" type. All I need to do is set up an "Unknown" as the main series page/cache where everyone can list their finds and will allow me to post the coordinates without revealing them (to the public), to the geocaching website. Then I just set up a series of normal caches with the clues. Thanks for your help!

Edited by lost patrol