FTF game

I!

This is a proposal for a side-game very similar to first-to-find; it's "first to log the secret code" (FTLTSC).

~~~~

• Setting up the cache for FTLTSC
  1. When the CO creates a listing, she is given a secret code.
  2. If the CO wishes to support the FTLTSC game, she writes down (or prints out) that secret code and places it prominently in the cache.
  3. Upon submitting the listing, the CO has the option of checking a box that says
    • [ X ] optional - did you place secret code 4LDE83AM in the cache?

and this may be reversed (FTLTSC disabled) at any time before the secret code is claimed.

Claiming FTLTSC

1. The finder should grab the secret code from the cache (walk off with the card it's printed on / scribble over it if it's written on the first page of the log book / whatever).
  2. If the listing's been enabled for FTLTSC races and the secret code has not already been supplied, the finder should enter the secret code along with (or after) his Found It log.

Viewing FTLTSC

1. Your FTFs, sorry FTLTSCs, appear in the "Statistics" tab of "Your Profile".
  2. Some secret codes could be special, accompanied by an icon (just like geocoins have icons). These would be bought by the CO from a commercial site and used in the cache listing in place of the gc.com-supplied secret. More bragging rights for finders.
  3. Caches with unclaimed secret codes are marked as such in geocache searches.

~~~~

FTLTSC claims could never be 100% trustworthy. An evil CO could give the code to her friends; the first-finder could forget to log or could chuck the code in the bin; etc. But would the fun of an officially-supported race be worth it all the same?

Let me know what you think. Please also say if you are an FTF-chaser already: it's the FTF hounds that I'm trying to appeal to here.

What happens if the first person who finds the cache (FTF) doesn't take the card and the STF person comes along and takes it? Does that allow the STF person to also claim the FTF simply because he has the code?

Yes. The scenario you describe is likely one where the FTF didn't see it as a race and so has no interest in logging the code: the FTF FTLTSC competition stays open until someone of a racing frame-of-mind decides to grab the code. It's a little like trackables in the sense that if you're not interested then you don't participate.

Lieblweb, I see you have some FTFs listed on your profile. Do you like chasing FTFs? If so, would you play the FTLTSC game if it was available on the web site?

Who going to make the CO put it in there. Then what happens when an FTF hound gets there and the codes not there.

Comment appreciated, but it's FTF-chasers I'm targeting here. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, in response to your question: no-one is going to make the CO put the code in the cache; it's optional. Please refer to text under the heading of "Setting up the cache for FTLTSC" in my opening post.

Who going to make the CO put it in there. Then what happens when an FTF hound gets there and the codes not there.

Comment appreciated, but it's FTF-chasers I'm targeting here. :rolleyes:

Nevertheless, in response to your question: no-one is going to make the CO put the code in the cache; it's optional. Please refer to text under the heading of "Setting up the cache for FTLTSC" in my opening post.

I understand that but it still doesn't address my point.

What is going to happen when the FTF hounds are not given their treat at the end of the hunt? They will whine, complain and berate the CO. The will drag his name through mud. Cachers will come in the forums and talk about how unfair it is to them that others are not 'playing the game right.' ...and so on.

The FTF game is only played by a very vocal but very small group within the larger community. Throwing fuel on their flame war is the last thing we need to do.

I'm usually all for any type of 'spin' we can put on this great hobby. I enjoy going for FTF's when I can...if I'm doing something else, oh well. Something like this will appeal to the 'hounds' and not to others. So be it. Just like puzzle or multi-stage. I know some cachers that avoid those like the plague just because of extra effort. Each to their own.

Why not give this a shot, if it doesn't work out, then back out of it.

I love the idea, :cool: Most of the FTF junkies around here are pretty honest about posting FTFs. The secret code would be a fun spin. I would participate.

I would like to expand on this idea and use it for those harder caches. Example: I have a cache that is in a tree that is very hard to reach. I have several people log a find it but didn't actually get their hands on the container. (I delete their logs.) Maybe a secret word that they must use in the found it message to qualify for a :D .

I think this is actually the coolest way play FTF !!

and finally someone came up with a way to make GC.com support FTF races..

well done !! very clever !!

simply write the code on the FFC, and offcourse the code is a one time useable,

when it is logged and FTF is claimed and counted online, the code is now useless,

if an old FTF chaser get the FFC, he takes it home, he done need to care logging it..

but now all after him, will not be First.. great and compleetle fair.

there can be only one.

PERFECT..

Edited by OZ2CPU

Even if it's not officially endorsed (doubt it will be), you can still do it on a 3rd party website. Just make it so each code can be used only once. Put it in your cache, state that there's a "FTLTS" code for the FTF in it, then wash your hands of the situation. The claim only gets used once - by the first person to log it on that website. Don't even need to make anything official in the geocaching setup.

You could have the website provide HTML code to display a user's First Secret Code or whatever stats in their profile...

I like the idea, and it's entirely opt-in.

And heck, if there are griefers who "take" the code so the ftf-hounds don't get it, well, doesn't that mean the cache was already found anyway? :P The risk of not finding finding the code when the CO was the last one to touch it only plays into the value of finding it first - for whatever reason it's gone "missing".

I like the idea, personally... But there will always be haters :ph34r:

Even if it's not officially endorsed (doubt it will be), you can still do it on a 3rd party website.

Interesting - do you have such a website in mind?

(I'd prefer FTF races were integrated properly into gc.com but your alternative looks interesting too.)