The Alabama Rambler needs your prayers

GeoBain

I realize that double posting is against the rules and that posts in this section should relate directly with geocaching.

However, TAR has been around a long time and has contributed a lot to geocaching. He's facing a major surgery Monday and I just felt that a larger audience than Off Topic should be made aware of his situation and be offered an opportunity to throw some support his way.

If the mods feel this is inappropriate, please feel free to shut it down, but here is TAR's OP from OT.

Been feeling bad since a cervical discectomy on 1/6, finally came to ER. Cardiologist says I had a heart attack. Arteriogram shows too many Big Macs and cheesecakes. Says I could depart this earth at any moment and sticks me in the Coronary Intensive Care Unit at St. Vincents Hospital in Birmingham. Will have surgery Monday to bypass five arteries around my heart. Docs an optimist but also honest... he says don't make any long-term plans.

So, I hope to be here a long time yet, but if I drop out of the forum know that I appreciated all my off-topican geopals and Thanks for all the fish!

Thanks for cross-posting, GeoBain, or I wouldn't have seen this.

As a former fellow Alabamian, I knew of Alabama Rambler long before I haunted these forums, but I've never had the pleasure of meeting him. So, he has to recover so that I can change that. :)

My thoughts are with TAR and his family - get well soon!

I'm not from Alabama, but I have had the pleasure of meeting TAR, at the Great Northern Tier Geocaching Tournament, and many years in ClayJar's chat. He knows I wish him a speedy recovery, brilliant doctors, good pain meds, and nice pretty nurses. He's a survivor, and I know he'll pull through this.

Hang in there TAR! Everyone is praying for you!

Sweet Pea

(only TAR can call me that!)

Well, I'm not religious, so obviously I won't be doing that 'pray' thing some seem to like...but I do hope he gets through this. Life is too short and I'd miss him here. I'm thinking of ya TAR...

Pray doesn't offend me at all, although I'm not the least bit religious, but practice it for social acceptability purposes. :) But TAR is going to be just fine. You have to go into something like this with a totally positive attitude. I too am thinking about TAR, who is going to come out of it no problem.

My best wishes for Ed. I've enjoyed his posts in these forums for many years whether or not I agreed with him, I've exchanged emails and PMs with him over the years and finally had the opportunity to meet him at the last Geowoodstock. He's an asset to these forums and geocaching and an all around good guy. I hope his doctors can fix the pipes and he'll be back soon.

Edited by briansnat

First time I met TAR during the poker run at GW2 I had to talk him out of hooking a chain from a large tree fallen over the road to his rear bumper. I pointed out that if the tree started falling out of control after being moved, it would at best tear off his bumper, at worst, pull the whole car down a 50' embankment.

I'm confident that tough old coot will pull through this just like all the other adversity he's faced, but I'll hitch my good thoughts chain to him for what it's worth.

PS I had 2 bacon, egg, & cheese biscuits at Bojangles this AM before even reading this thread. Hope it helps, they sure were tasty.

Thanks for the wishes , kind words and prayers. Surgery postponped until Tuesday while they try to melt a pulmonary embolism.Doc says I need 6 by-passes. Doc says they normally take veins from the legs but since I only have one he,ll have to use cadavelr graft. Says he has an old Haition woman about to pass or an old pig on his farm that needs to be put down, so by Thursday I will be dancing to steel drums or rooting for truffles. C y'all on the trails.

Thanks for the wishes , kind words and prayers. Surgery postponped until Tuesday while they try to melt a pulmonary embolism.Doc says I need 6 by-passes. Doc says they normally take veins from the legs but since I only have one he,ll have to use cadavelr graft. Says he has an old Haition woman about to pass or an old pig on his farm that needs to be put down, so by Thursday I will be dancing to steel drums or rooting for truffles. C y'all on the trails.

My best wishes and prayers go out to you.

Edited by Roman!

TAR, glad to see you're in apparent good spirits. That's half the battle for this sort of thing.

I had a quad bypass done last May. If you need to talk, e-mail me. Post-surgery depression in these cases is common, and it helps (I know) to talk to someone who's been there.

I had a triple bypass and two stints almost eight years ago. I agree that post surgery depression is common. I started walking and built my way up to hiking, and somewhere in between I became a geocacher. I don't think geocaching helps my stress though...... :unsure:

God bless, and a speedy recovery. :)

~MPH:)>

I'm voting on the pig veins. You could change your forum title to "Part Bacon." :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm glad to hear you are in good spirits. I've been thinking a lot about you for the past few days. Keep making those plans to get back on the trail. Maybe your new truffle rooting super powers will help you sniff out tupperware and ammo cans. :anibad:

Being a HAM the pig veins should work fine. I got a new pig aortic valve in November 2010. My veins were in good shape and I didn't need blood thinner after the open heart surgery. I am doing fine now and I am sure a young man like you will do the same. 73 Dick W7WT

I'm voting on the pig veins. You could change your forum title to "Part Bacon." :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm glad to hear you are in good spirits. I've been thinking a lot about you for the past few days. Keep making those plans to get back on the trail. Maybe your new truffle rooting super powers will help you sniff out tupperware and ammo cans. :anibad:

This!

Or "The Baconic Man" :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Still thinking of you TAR, good luck!

This!

We could all come up with a great avatar for you on that one.

Good luck TAR....Looking forward to the great story about your adventure in the OR.

Shirley~

This!

I vote for the The Baconic Man. :laughing::laughing: