"discovered it"

misteroldschool

So i just started a geocoin (my first one) and after i put it online people started to "discover it" its still on my desk how could anyone have discovered it?

i had a picture of it on there but took it off, id like the entries for this to only be when someone actually has found the coin. maybe im just missing something?

link to coin: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3767879

So i just started a geocoin (my first one) and after i put it online people started to "discover it" its still on my desk how could anyone have discovered it?

i had a picture of it on there but took it off, id like the entries for this to only be when someone actually has found the coin. maybe im just missing something?

My guess is your picture had the tracking code in the pic. Anyone with the code can discover it. If you want, you can delete anyone's log who has the word Gallery (Galerie, etc. in other languages). When you post a picture for a TB it's listed in the TB gallery, at the top, and anyone can see it and discover it if you have the code. Some people just watch the gallery for TB pics with codes to discover them.

George

link to coin: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=3767879

And you really should delete the "virtual" logs. They are not allowed under Groundspeak guidelines and they can actually get your travel bug or geocoin "locked" if virtual discoveries are allowed.

Good that you checked on it! You should not share the tracking number with anybody unless they actually see or move the coin.

Happy coining!

Yep it sounds like you didn't know to paint out, digitally erase or just stick a piece of tape over the tracking number for the photo, though how someone knew to get to your coin page and see the photo is still a mystery. But it also happens when people deliberately enter random codes in the search field and if they hit on an activated coin they'll discover it. All you have to do is delete the log as a virtual and you're cool. Welcome to Geocaching U.

Edited by Droo