Coeur d'Alene Cache Machine

travisl

(Note: circumstances may change after this initial posting. Look for my posts (with the icon13.gif icon) in this thread for all the important details and changes.) (Link to dinner event cache.)

After the Long Beach Cache Machine, several cachers came to me asking, "Travis, what can you do about all the trampling of cache areas, about people leaving caches out in the open, and about huge groups bothering the neighbors?" I'm making changes to this event -- hopefully it'll help. Read carefully.

Several caches on the route map will be marked with a "do not enter" icon (icon_disabled.gif). Those cache owners have justifiably asked for their cache to not be on the route, and for the cache to not be sought after this weekend. If you log a find for a "do not enter" cache this weekend, don't be surprised if the cache owner deletes your log. The cache is, in the owner's opinion, in a sensitive area, whether it's ecologially sensitive, socially sensitive, or physically fragile. Just don't get it. It's not like there's a shortage of caches in the area.

Coeur d'Alene is a land of 55 lakes and spectacular fishing, of logging booms and mining busts, of historic fur traders and a legendery tribe. It's also the home of hundreds of geocaches. Let's get some.

Fill up the tank, toss down some breakfast at way-too-early o'clock, and start on the route. Sunrise (civil twilight) on Saturday, March 24, is at 6:10 a.m., but start whenever you'd like, wherever you'd like. There's two checkpoints you won't want to miss:

- Be at the lunch stop between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to join in a BBQ lunch hosted by the Inland Empire chapter of the WSGA.

- Be at dinner at 7:30 p.m. to claim an "attended" for the event, and to grab a seat and socialize. There will be travel bugs to discover, great food, and more geocachers to commiserate with than you can shake a walking stick at.

Rules:

1) Follow all traffic laws, and drive safely. This is not a race; there are no winners. The only loser will be someone who gets hurt.

2) Respect private property, even if the cache owner didn't. Post your DNFs proudly.

3) One logbook entry for "CdA CM" is fine for most small and micros. Don't go filling up the logbook just because you want to mark your territory. 100 people's names and dates will fill up most one-sheets. Be kind and bring extra paper to add to caches with full logbooks.

4) As with all cache machines, if you find the cache, you'll be the one who has to re-hide it. Hide it as well as you found it. Handing it off to someone else and pointing down saying "it goes there" isn't good enough. Don't be a jerk. The extra 45 seconds isn't going to ruin your day.

If you’ve already found a couple of these caches, that’s fine - give us a chance to find the cache, and then we may turn to you for a hint. Suggestions and ''Count me ins'' are welcome on the event page.

----

The Coeur d'Alene Cache Machine FAQ:

When is it? When is the start time?

Saturday, March 24, 2012. Start whenever you want. Meetup at lunch (between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.) and at dinner (7:30 p.m.).

Will it be one large group, will we be split into teams, or what?

My hope is that it'll be very fractured, thus limiting the social and physical impact that a large group has on an area. I suggest you start at the cache with the same number as your team's average age.

Where does the route start?

Wherever you want. Pick a spot! I suggest you use the stop number that matches the last two digits of your license plate. For what it's worth, I've intentionally chosen a bad starting point to label as stop #1 on the route. I'm hoping this really spreads the group out.

Is anything going on before, during, or after?

• Friday, March 23, at 6:30 p.m., A pre-event dinner will be at Pizza Factory, 503 W Appleway, 47° 42.072', W 116° 47.556'. $7 adults/$5 kids for all the pizza you can eat, including soda. Adding salad bar is a little more.
  • Saturday, March 24, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., the Inland Empire chapter of the WSGA is hosting a BBQ. The location will be announced further down in this thread.
  • Saturday, March 24, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Elmers Restaurant, 300 W Neider Ave, N 47° 42.372', W 116° 47.442'. I've created an event page for this dinner event.
  • Sunday, March 25, between 7:00 a.m. and noon, meet up for a light breakfast (coffee, pastries, yogurt, fruit) at the Cache Advance Cache Cave in Spokane: N 47° 40.886' W 117° 21.497'

A cache on your map shows the wrong place to park.

Let me know, and I'll incorporate it into the route.

Sunrise is at 6:10 a.m. Dinner's at 7:30 p.m. Why does the route show a start time of midnight and runs well over 13 hours? Is this a two-day event?

The route starts at midnight for ease of calculation, because I don't know where you start from and what time you start. The extra time is a buffer, in case you're so good that you'd run out of caches before you run out of daylight. I don't expect anyone would be able to hit all of them between sunrise and sunset. Of course, if you wanted to hit them after dinner, or on Sunday, I'm sure you'll be able to find folks to join you.

It sounds fun, but I've already found some of them.

Then come laugh at us, or guess when we'll be at the caches you haven't hit yet.

You don't have X cache on the route. Why aren't we getting that one?

I try to avoid most multicaches, most puzzle caches, caches that appear to be overly time consuming, and caches that the owner has asked us to avoid.

You have X cache on the route, but it's disabled/archived/a two mile hike.

Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route (if archived) or will check with the owner (if disabled).

X cache is in an environmentally sensitive area.

By all means, let me know. I don't want to send 100 people there to stomp all over it.

I disagree with the whole idea of cache machines. I don't want you finding my cache.

Sorry to hear that. It's too bad you've got a neat place to show us that we won't be able to see. Let me know, and I'll remove it from the route.

What's this gonna cost me?

Nothing for the caching. Or, at least, nothing more than it would cost than if you did the trip solo (e.g., paying for your own gas, hotel, and dinner). I'm not collecting any money for this.

Lunch? Breaks? Bathrooms?

Lunch: You should probably bring a sack lunch to eat on the road.

Breaks and Bathrooms: There's no breaks in cache machines! Just hold it. :-P Or find something on the way.

Rain? Snow? Landslides? Flooding?

Could be. Do what you safely can, and skip ahead when reality or your capabilities don't match the plan. Be prepared and flexible. Don't drive through deep water. Don't drive your sedan to the top of a cell phone tower hill in the snow. Don't do stupid things.

What do the map symbols mean?

ce16d180-40c2-423d-a3ab-b976b7b4a2b2.jpg

(Edited per OP's request and instructions - TL)

Edited by Tarn_Loon

Route?

Comment on the new rules. It would be better if the cache owner pulled and disabled the cache along with you saying we should not log it. If someone, cache machine or otherwise, logs the cache and then gets their log deleted the frog will probably tell the cache owner not do do that and re-instate the log if asked. If the cache is gone and no log to sign then the deletion is a valid maintenance action. The other thing that bothers me about leaving the cache and deleting logs is if a person not doing the cache machine and unaware of the cache machine or the cache machine restrictions ends up getting their log deleted they aren't going to be happy. I think disabling and pulling the cache is the best way to restrict people from going to the cache.

Route?

No route yet. I'll have it up in the next few days. It took this long to find a dinner location.

Comment on the new rules. It would be better if the cache owner pulled and disabled the cache along with you saying we should not log it.

Although I agree it would be better if that were to happen, my goal in using this method is to make it as effortless as possible for the cache owner to prevent the hordes of people who I'm sending into their area from hunting their cache. It might even be that disabling and removing the cache just for a few days could cause more damage from cachers who didn't get the note that the cache was disabled, and start stomping around a 20-foot radius looking for the cache.

In the off chance that a non-cache machiner finds a "do not enter" cache and logs a find, and then the cache owner deletes it, I think that can be worked out and restored case-by-case.

And in the situation where someone who I and the cache owner have told not to get a cache, and they get the cache, and they log the find, and the log is deleted, and they complain to the frog, and the frog sides with them, and the log is restored, and anybody at this point still complains... that's a headache I'll deal with if it happens. I hope cooler heads will prevail.

On the Coeur d'Alene Cache Machine dinner event page, it said the event is in Washington. Is there a reason why you listed it under Washington instead of Idaho?

His GPS is broken? :laughing:

He has a new etrex 30, there have been reports of sticky compasses not updating correctly. No doubt it will read right real soon now. :lol:

I have found 2 good locations for our BBQ, we will finalize the location on the 24th of february. Also the lunch time can and may need to be adjusted a bit so it fits the route schedule.

I think with the new rules a "route" schedule is really not a fixed thing anymore. There will likely be dozens of routes being used. I suggest you pick a time and the rest of us can adjust our route accordingly. Looks like Travis is using 11am to 1pm. That sounds fine to me.

Edited by jholly

I would tend to think its not a good idea to ask cachers to not be able to find active caches and with the idea their logs would be deleted if found, that sounds against the Groundspeak guidelines to me. I cant speak for others, but when I do cache machines, I almost never look at the route. I just cache generally in the area. I try to take precautions on any cache I look for, neighbors, ecological areas, whatnot. If I happen to find one of these flagged caches by accident, I see no reason why such a find should be deleted. If you want to suggest to not do certain caches and not include them in your route planning, that is fine of course.

I would tend to think its not a good idea to ask cachers to not be able to find active caches and with the idea their logs would be deleted if found, that sounds against the Groundspeak guidelines to me. ... When I do cache machines, I almost never look at the route. I just cache generally in the area. ... If you want to suggest to not do certain caches and not include them in your route planning, that is fine of course.

You make excellent points, and I've just reviewed the three relevant guidelines. I've always been under the impression that a cache owner is the final arbiter of which logs can be deleted, but I see that's not the case. In fact, I'm not seeing anything that specifically allows for deletion of a normal "found it" log on a disabled or archived cache, as long as the physical log is signed, and if the online log contains nothing objectionable, doesn't violate any law or promote violation of any law, and doesn't contain spoilers. This troubles me, because I know of caches that are seasonably disabled to protect local hibernating wildlife, but without the ability to delete logs, the cache owner's ability to protect the area is limited.

That being the case, I won't continue to inaccurately state that the owners can delete logs on "do not enter" caches. I'd edit my bold comment in my original post, but the time window for the ability to do that has closed. I will still be contacting local cache owners, will encourage them to disable sensitive caches for the weekend, and will provide a list of "do not enter" caches. It looks like the best I can do is to currently express my disappointment in a cache machinist who disregards the list, and "tsk tsk" disapprovingly in their general direction at the event dinner.

I understand that in the past you've just cached generally in the area. With the concerns raised at previous events, I'll also ask you to modify your behavior slightly: review the "do not enter" list, and don't get those.

Thanks Travis. As for me, I like the idea that I might crash into someone randomly, I do not think I have ever followed a list. Usually in my car, we focus on earth caches, puzzles, challenges and other weird things in the area vs just get up numbers. I imagine we will do Montana as well to get that state. Thus, we feel a part of the cache machine as inevitably we will crash into other cachers but we never follow the route, though its sometimes consulted and used.

For us, will make sure to try and not load caches you want to have skipped (cant speak for others of course), but I would think that if there are such sensitive caches, it would be best for them to be disabled. Just makes me wonder to myself, if they are caches that do not want traffic, surprised they are listed in the first place. I mean, isn't that the point of caches, to be found? I have a cache for example that is between 2 folks' houses, in this case, I would have just warned them so they would not be surprised.

Edited by lamoracke

For us, will make sure to try and not load caches you want to have skipped (cant speak for others of course), but I would think that if there are such sensitive caches, it would be best for them to be disabled. Just makes me wonder to myself, if they are caches that do not want traffic, surprised they are listed in the first place. I mean, isn't that the point of caches, to be found? I have a cache for example that is between 2 folks' houses, in this case, I would have just warned them so they would not be surprised.

You make some good points that would apply in most circumstances. The execption to that might be the Cache Machine weekend in which a much larger than normal group of cachers can overwhelm and bring attention to an area. This could have a negative impact on how we are viewed. Such was the case at least twice in Long Beach. These were instances where neighbors and local businesses were unprepared and felt overwhelmed by the "crowd". I think the attitude we bring to cache machine weekends should be different. I appreciate Travis for bringing this concern forward to help us consider ways to be respectfull of the people who may not know why we are there.

If folks think it will be useful I can post a bookmark of "Do Not Enter" caches. If the CO's mark the cache disabled they should show up on GPS's as a big red X.

I feel better about the proposed changes. As for your original post, perhaps you could enlist the aid of a lackey or reviewer to make the changes, or briefly lift the edit restrictions so you can make the changes. I know of at least one lackey that attends and a reviewer could well be there.

It is true that the CO power is limited on cache deletion, but I think most will respect the disabled flag.

The draft 1 bookmark is posted.

Premium caches:

GC337N5 Caitlyn's Cache CCVIII "Kirby"

GC1PRGK Hidden Forest "Easter Bunny" - LBH

GC1MN5M Caitlyn's Cache 25.0 "What Island ?"

GC33B01 Caitlyn's Cache CCIX "Peaceful Place"

GC1MN6E Caitlyn's Cache 25.5 " The Grove "

GC2QW63 Caitlyn's Cache CLXXXV "Around a corner"

GC2DYYZ Caitlyn's Cache CLII "Sail away"

GC22DR0 Caitlyn's Cache CXIX "Another Trail"

GC33GZB Caitlyn's Cache CCX "Refuse Refuge"

GC2WFWZ Bushy Tiger Cub

GC33TEW Caitlyn's Cache CCXII "Nice Bushes"

GC2HTK7 1-11-11 at the Stealth Towers

GC2HRRV Caitlyn's Cache CLXIX " It's a no-go "

GC1QDZP Last Forest Standing "Go Green - Earth Day" - LBH

GC2T23V The Hill's of Idaho - Blue Broccoli

GC2NM0V Degrees of Difficulty

GC2MGK3 Hayden Branch

GC2NA1K Caitlyn's Cache CLXXV "Where's the Castle ?"

GC300DF Argentum

GC2XMWM Summer Fun

GC2XYWK Love Those Lilacs!!

GC2E12J Caitlyn's Cache CLIII " A guy on Honeysuckle"

GC2DDVE Caitlyn's Cache CXLII "Wally's Corner"

GC1Z9ZB Caitlyn's Cache CXI " No trees now "

GC38874 I Spy With My Little Eye...Something "Brice"

GC1C0JT Caitlyn's Cache 2.0 Urban Forest

GC2HBE1 Caitlyn's Cache CLXVI " What horse trail ? "

GC2HMQC Caitlyn's Cache CLXVII "Stratagem"

GC2V8NG Caitlyn's Cache CLXXXVIII "The convert"

GC1EGNV Caitlyn's Cache 5.0 "A Bears Tale"

GC1RKGD Caitlyn's Cache 47.5 " The telltale,tail "

GC321F4 Caitlyn's Cache CCV "Betweonum Bollards"

GC1Q2AV Caitlyn's Cache 38.5 "The Old Stockade"

GC1PDGY Caitlyn's Cache 35.5 "Another Spot"

GC1PDGK Caitlyn's Cache 35.0 "Near the crossroads"

GC2X4BQ Caitlyn's Cache CXCIV "Down the trail"

GC2VWJX Caitlyn's Cache CXC "The headwaters"

GC31Z62 Caitlyn's Cache CCIII "An arms length"

GC2DMHH Caitlyn's Cache CL " What Sawmill ? "

GC2XGK0 Caitlyn's Cache CXCV "The Iron Rail Trail"

GC1NTMQ Caitlyn's Cache 32.5 " Not Another A.P.C. ? "

GC35XMD Caitlyn's Cache CCXVIII "Rails Away"

GC1JTJK Caitlyn's Cache 19.5 "The Crown"

GC2FZ21 N.Y.A. 1938

GC1JP04 Caitlyn's Cache 16.0 Hi or low ?

GC1JP0G Caitlyn's Cache 16.5 Low or hi ?

GC34228 Caitlyn's Cache CCXIII "The canopy"

GC354HA Calm & Dry

GC1JXY3 Caitlyn's Cache 20.5 "Cd'A TARDIS"

GC2Z4C9 Caitlyn's Cache CXCIX "Bohica"

GC2JZNN Winter Wonderland #4

GC2349F Caitlyn's Cache CXXI "The truck stops here"

GC2KQDM Caitlyn's Cache CLXXI "Not lowe at all"

GC2H1MH Caitlyn's Cache CLXV "A little diversion"

GC1CTYM Caitlyn's Cache 3.0. The end of the line...

GC2WRM9 Caitlyn's Cache CXCI "The guy with Brad's Drink"

GC34J61 Caitlyn's Cache CCXIV "That's a Nursery ?"

GC1H825 Caitlyn's Cache 10.5 The soccer field

GC1H882 Caitlyn's Cache 11.0 "Swell Swale"

GC1NCQ1 Caitlyn's Cache 28.5 "The drive-in"

GC20TV4 Purple Peter Cottontail

Regular members will have to use geocachingadmin.com to log these caches. Your on your own for coordinates.

Problem caches:

GC172Q4 - looks like it is gone.

GC172Q4 - looks like it might be gone.

GC2WRM9 - needs a watch, might be missing.

That "Caitlyn" sure is Popular there :lol::rolleyes:

The draft 1 bookmark is posted.

Premium caches:

GC337N5 Caitlyn's Cache CCVIII "Kirby"

GC1PRGK Hidden Forest "Easter Bunny" - LBH

GC1MN5M Caitlyn's Cache 25.0 "What Island ?"

GC33B01 Caitlyn's Cache CCIX "Peaceful Place"

GC1MN6E Caitlyn's Cache 25.5 " The Grove "

GC2QW63 Caitlyn's Cache CLXXXV "Around a corner"

GC2DYYZ Caitlyn's Cache CLII "Sail away"

GC22DR0 Caitlyn's Cache CXIX "Another Trail"

GC33GZB Caitlyn's Cache CCX "Refuse Refuge"

GC2WFWZ Bushy Tiger Cub

GC33TEW Caitlyn's Cache CCXII "Nice Bushes"

GC2HTK7 1-11-11 at the Stealth Towers

GC2HRRV Caitlyn's Cache CLXIX " It's a no-go "

GC1QDZP Last Forest Standing "Go Green - Earth Day" - LBH

GC2T23V The Hill's of Idaho - Blue Broccoli

GC2NM0V Degrees of Difficulty

GC2MGK3 Hayden Branch

GC2NA1K Caitlyn's Cache CLXXV "Where's the Castle ?"

GC300DF Argentum

GC2XMWM Summer Fun

GC2XYWK Love Those Lilacs!!

GC2E12J Caitlyn's Cache CLIII " A guy on Honeysuckle"

GC2DDVE Caitlyn's Cache CXLII "Wally's Corner"

GC1Z9ZB Caitlyn's Cache CXI " No trees now "

GC38874 I Spy With My Little Eye...Something "Brice"

GC1C0JT Caitlyn's Cache 2.0 Urban Forest

GC2HBE1 Caitlyn's Cache CLXVI " What horse trail ? "

GC2HMQC Caitlyn's Cache CLXVII "Stratagem"

GC2V8NG Caitlyn's Cache CLXXXVIII "The convert"

GC1EGNV Caitlyn's Cache 5.0 "A Bears Tale"

GC1RKGD Caitlyn's Cache 47.5 " The telltale,tail "

GC321F4 Caitlyn's Cache CCV "Betweonum Bollards"

GC1Q2AV Caitlyn's Cache 38.5 "The Old Stockade"

GC1PDGY Caitlyn's Cache 35.5 "Another Spot"

GC1PDGK Caitlyn's Cache 35.0 "Near the crossroads"

GC2X4BQ Caitlyn's Cache CXCIV "Down the trail"

GC2VWJX Caitlyn's Cache CXC "The headwaters"

GC31Z62 Caitlyn's Cache CCIII "An arms length"

GC2DMHH Caitlyn's Cache CL " What Sawmill ? "

GC2XGK0 Caitlyn's Cache CXCV "The Iron Rail Trail"

GC1NTMQ Caitlyn's Cache 32.5 " Not Another A.P.C. ? "

GC35XMD Caitlyn's Cache CCXVIII "Rails Away"

GC1JTJK Caitlyn's Cache 19.5 "The Crown"

GC2FZ21 N.Y.A. 1938

GC1JP04 Caitlyn's Cache 16.0 Hi or low ?

GC1JP0G Caitlyn's Cache 16.5 Low or hi ?

GC34228 Caitlyn's Cache CCXIII "The canopy"

GC354HA Calm & Dry

GC1JXY3 Caitlyn's Cache 20.5 "Cd'A TARDIS"

GC2Z4C9 Caitlyn's Cache CXCIX "Bohica"

GC2JZNN Winter Wonderland #4

GC2349F Caitlyn's Cache CXXI "The truck stops here"

GC2KQDM Caitlyn's Cache CLXXI "Not lowe at all"

GC2H1MH Caitlyn's Cache CLXV "A little diversion"

GC1CTYM Caitlyn's Cache 3.0. The end of the line...

GC2WRM9 Caitlyn's Cache CXCI "The guy with Brad's Drink"

GC34J61 Caitlyn's Cache CCXIV "That's a Nursery ?"

GC1H825 Caitlyn's Cache 10.5 The soccer field

GC1H882 Caitlyn's Cache 11.0 "Swell Swale"

GC1NCQ1 Caitlyn's Cache 28.5 "The drive-in"

GC20TV4 Purple Peter Cottontail

Regular members will have to use geocachingadmin.com to log these caches. Your on your own for coordinates.

Problem caches:

GC172Q4 - looks like it is gone.

GC2WRM9 - needs a watch, might be missing.

Edited by fairyhoney

Thanks Travis. As for me, I like the idea that I might crash into someone randomly, I do not think I have ever followed a list. Usually in my car, we focus on earth caches, puzzles, challenges and other weird things in the area vs just get up numbers. I imagine we will do Montana as well to get that state. Thus, we feel a part of the cache machine as inevitably we will crash into other cachers but we never follow the route, though its sometimes consulted and used.

I had to archive one of my caches after a CM went through the area. It was at an historical marker/Native American cemetery. One of the neighbours just couldn't handle it and got quite miffed. There were no real issues, but people sometimes can make some up in their head. Rather than upset the neighbour and have them keep harassing cachers, I archived the cache. Made me sad. In retrospect, the cache would have lasted longer if I had kept it off the route.

Edited by Ambrosia

Here is what I see right off the bat. This looks good for everyone to start in different places. Nothing is too far away and the route basically keeps folding back in on itself. You could start at any lobe an work in from there. I like that. I will have to look at it a bit closer to see if backwards is viable as well.

#1 and # 149 are the same. Looks like you made a total loop.
Exactly. Start anywhere and follow the route from there. If you get to the "end" (which isn't really the end), you're at the stop labeled #1, and continue from there.

I will have to look at it a bit closer to see if backwards is viable as well.
It'll be more challenging going backwards. US-95 is a divided highway in several spots, and stops 26 through 64 take these turn restrictions into account.

It'll be more challenging going backwards. US-95 is a divided highway in several spots, and stops 26 through 64 take these turn restrictions into account.

Yeah, I found out some cache machines ago you don't do the route backwards, just doesn't work well. Always go forward. And some of the routing does take into account left and right turns and doing it backwards makes for a bunch of circling around.

Edited by jholly

Yeah, I found out some cache machines ago you don't do the route backwards, just doesn't work well. Always go forward. And some of the routing does take into account left and right turns and doing it backwards makes for a bunch of circling around.

A fair number of years ago Travis hadn't hit that level of optimization yet and the group I went with always did it backwards. We discovered when he started paying attention to that we suddenly had to flip around and start going the right way. :lol:

Has anyone found a great deal on a hotel? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quantify "great deal." :lol: There are certainly cheap hotels, depending on where you're willing to stay. Travis always finds a good deal via Priceline bidding; he's at the Riverbend Inn in Post Falls for $37/night. I'm a Choice Hotels member and on his team, so I'm at the Comfort Inn in Post Falls for $50/night. YMMV. I bet some others will have good suggestions.

hydnsek---thanks for the help. Will start my research for Priceline. And will add Post Falls to the target area. Not familiar with the area at all, so great advice. Thanks! Now if my caching cousin can get her ducks in a row...I can confirm! Hoping to join the fun. Had a great time at my first cache machine in Long Beach. :D

Hello Fellow Cachers:

I was able to work a deal with a local motel for discounted rooms. Please use this link to get info on the rooms. motel link

You must contact the hotel to lock your room in.

We have up to 20 rooms to reserve. First come on the rooms. The room rate is $49.00 a night for Friday and Saturday.

If you have any questions please email me at ggtheduke@gmail.com

Thanks Antiqueman

Hello Fellow Cachers:

I was able to work a deal with a local motel for discounted rooms. Please use this link to get info on the rooms. motel link

You must contact the hotel to lock your room in.

We have up to 20 rooms to reserve. First come on the rooms. The room rate is $49.00 a night for Friday and Saturday.

If you have any questions please email me at ggtheduke@gmail.com

Thanks Antiqueman

Thanks Antiqueman for going to bat for us for discounted rooms - but not sure I like the reviews on TripAdvisor for that place. We reserved a room at Days Inn for $51(discounted) + tax. I'm still bidding on Priceline to see if I can do better...

Edited by Lizzy

I have the time off to go to this one but I need a team....I do not want to drive all the way to Couer d'Alene by myself. I am happy to go with others for the drive and help share in the expenses, driving, whatever...but I do not have a geomobile...I have a Miata!! I live in Seattle, can leave a day or two early, maybe to do some caching on the way...anyone got room?? Send me a message....

I did a little run today on part of the route. Cache #34 is a little hard to reach from the planned parking coordinates. There are 2 homeless camps on the path's that i found to the GZ. Perhaps walking in from stop #35 would work better. Parking may be an issue though. I'm not sure if that business is open on Saturdays. There is some parking at the graveyard, which has access to both caches, but i'm sure people visiting their loved ones don't want 150+ peeps traipsing across their graves!

I did a little run today on part of the route. Cache #34 is a little hard to reach from the planned parking coordinates. There are 2 homeless camps on the path's that i found to the GZ. Perhaps walking in from stop #35 would work better. Parking may be an issue though. I'm not sure if that business is open on Saturdays. There is some parking at the graveyard, which has access to both caches, but i'm sure people visiting their loved ones don't want 150+ peeps traipsing across their graves!

Please look at our log for #34 GC1QDZP. We had parked in the cemetery and had the worker come over and talk to us. They are having trouble with the homeless making a mess in the cemetery so are keeping a close eye out for people parking in that corner. I don't think they are going to want 150 cachers coming to that cache from the cemetery. You might consider putting it on the do not do list just for that reason. Just a thought.

• Friday, March 23, at 6:30 p.m., A pre-event dinner will be at Pizza Factory, 503 W Appleway, 47° 42.072', W 116° 47.556'. $7 adults/$5 kids for all the pizza you can eat, including soda. Adding salad bar is a little more.
  • Saturday, March 24, between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m., the Inland Empire chapter of the WSGA is hosting a BBQ. The location will be announced further down in this thread.
  • Saturday, March 24, at 7:30 p.m., dinner will be at Elmers Restaurant, 300 W Neider Ave, N 47° 42.372', W 116° 47.442'. I've created an event page for this dinner event.
  • Sunday, March 25, between 8:00 a.m. and noon, meet up for a light breakfast (coffee, pastries, yogurt, fruit) at the Cache Advance Cache Cave in Spokane: N 47° 40.886' W 117° 21.497'

Cache Advance is hosting the Sunday 'brunch'; we are setting up in the backyard at the coordinates above (Lookout Lisa's), in Spokane. We're located about 5 minutes north of I90, just across the river. The Cache Cave will be open as well if anyone would like to pop in and stock up on supplies. We look forward to seeing everyone that weekend!

Edit to change time from 7 to 8am -don't want to scare the neighbors too early... :)

Edited by Lookout Lisa

Draft 2 of the route is up. I already see that I should probably remove stop #145, "GC1JTJK Caitlyn's Cache 19.5 The Crown", but other than that, any suggestions? I've shifted the route slightly east, adding more caches near the lunch stop, listing fewer caches, completely reorganizing the route, and making a lot more work for jholly. (*sheepish grin*)

I'm still kinda in shock that I'm non-chalantly saying things like "stop #145", as if getting 150 caches in a day is normal (or reasonable).

Fortunate for Travis I don't charge by the stop :). Doubt I will finish it tonight and I have plans to go caching tomorrow, so your all going to have to wait until Wednesday. But I doubt that will put any one is a real bind. Hope this snow business comes to a halt, don't relish the thought of doing the passes with chains and snow and the truck is a bit spendy to drive over there.

Finally got a winning bid on Priceline:

2 1/2 stars for $49 a night

3 nights (Thurs-Sun)

Red Lion in Post Falls

Looking forward to another cache machine. :)

Was able to *finally* get a winning bid on Priceline. Staying at the Riverbend Inn @ Post Falls (2 star on priceline) for $40 a night + tax for Fri & Sat nites. I'm kicking myself for not trying an even lower bid - so if anyone else bids on 2 star, try lower bid :)

• Sunday, March 25, between 8:00 a.m. and noon, meet up for a light breakfast (coffee, pastries, yogurt, fruit) at the Cache Advance Cache Cave in Spokane: N 47° 40.886' W 117° 21.497'

Wow - these cache machines keep getting better & better with all the to-do's. Thanks Lisa for the breakfast addition & to the Inland Empire group for the lunch set-up. Looking forward to all of this!!!

Edited by Lizzy
Was able to *finally* get a winning bid on Priceline. Staying at the Riverbend Inn @ Post Falls (2 star on priceline) for $40 a night + tax for Fri & Sat nites. I'm kicking myself for not trying an even lower bid

Don't kick yourself too hard. I got it for $37, after increasing bids by $2 every couple of days starting at $25. At most, you're out $4 a night.

Also, I haven't seen this link posted here yet, so let me also thank the Inland Empire crew for setting up the CDA Cache Machine Lunch event.

My wife and I are thinking about coming up for this from Walla Walla. We have only been Geocaching for a few months so this is the first time I have ever even heard of this type of event, let alone thought of going to one. I think I understand the gist of it from the forum posts and the descriptions but I did have 1 question. Is this kind of an event kid friendly? We have a 4 year old daughter that loves going geocaching with us, but I can't tell if this is something that is done ultra fast paced, or something you can kind of take your time (as you must) with a 4 year old :)

Regardless, everything sounds amazingly fun, BBQ's and Dinners and Lunches galore.

Thanks,

ThaWeaz (Jim)

my opinion, having a 3 year old and one older than that....if you cached the entire day and tried to get most or all of the caches on the route, it would not be possible with a young one of that age. They need real lunch breaks, potty stops, and get tired of the car easily. However, just do part of the cache machine, there is no rule you have to even try to find 90% of them or 10% of them. There is a breakfast, lunch and evening event, and all 3 of those would be great for a kid I imagine.

So, if you take your kid, do not have huge expectations to find them all, just find what you think the 3 year old is willing to put up with.

Most of the caches on the route I imagine are low terrain and relatively quick so most caches are probably kid friendly, its just the sheer amount of them and the time that would make it tough on a kid.

Definitely leaving mine home for the trip, otherwise, would not have driven across the state for it, but that is me.

Edited by lamoracke

Following on to what lamoracke said, you will note the route starts a 12:06 am, probably not a kid friendly, or old fart friendly, time of the day. But that is really Travisl's way of encouraging people to not travel as a bunch. You can start any time you like, any where you like and cache as few or as many as you like and at the pace your comfortable with. There are no requirements as to participation levels. There is no requirement that you need to travel with the crowd. I've done several cache machines where I ran my own route and for the most part did not see any cache machine participants most of the day. If you want the smiley for the two events that day, well, your going to need to show up for those :) Otherwise it is just what you feel comfortable with doing. In fact I know some folks come and don't do any of the caches on the route but go off and do their own thing, but stop by the dinner event in the evening. Are the lunch and dinner events kid friendly? Of course, the same as any other BBQ in the park or dinner event at a local eating place.

Most of the caches on the route I imagine are low terrain and relatively quick so most caches are probably kid friendly, its just the sheer amount of them and the time that would make it tough on a kid.

Absolutely. Moreso than probably any other CM I've organized, this one is chock-full of park-and-grabs. It's a 7 mile by 4 mile area, and there's 150+ stops. You (or anyone, of course) can take it as slow or as fast as you want.

If you go at your four-year-old's pace, she'll have a great time. You might want to make sure that she's aware, however, that many (most?) of the caches on the route are "small" and "micro" sized, so might not have the trade items she's come to expect.

Problems:

#8, GCXNW2 - Last 4 were DNF, no logs since 1/8/12

#26, GC17WF7 - It's there, but yuck.

#47, GC1E3D0 - Last 4 are DNF, no logs since 12/11/11

#145, GC1JTJK - Disabled, missing container.

#8 is on the Do Not Enter list, so I shouldn't have listed that one. #47 and #145 I'll be removing from the route. #26 I'll keep; I'll try to remember to bring a replacement logbook for it.