Montana SW V3.90

Catch

I've had more white screen crashes as well, albiet not as many.

The battery drain, based on my knowledge of electronics, may stem from the lack of a "blocking" diode in the cradle circuitry. A diode would prevent the GPS power from leaking into the cradle circuitry or car battery when a forward voltage is not applied. So, it could be a sloppy cradle design. I'm going to experiment with altering the cradle wiring and place a blocking diode in-line with the wire from the contact points. In theory it should work to stop the leakage. I'll report the results back here.

Also, I wonder if the Montata beta team knows that we have sticky issues as well. I see fixes for every other model.

Edited by yogazoo

Montana (WebUpdater) software version 3.90

Changes made from version 3.80 to 3.90:

Fixed possible software hang with 'white screen' when powering unit off in mount.

Fixed Address/Intersection searching when set to French language.

Am I missing something here? I went to Garmin's site and the most recent firmware I could see was 3.6.8 beta.

Am I missing something here? I went to Garmin's site and the most recent firmware I could see was 3.6.8 beta.

Some time back they changed it up. WebUpdater versions are only available via WebUpdater. I know it seems kinda wierd.

Ah, that must be it. Is there any way to just download the update rather than downloading it straight into my Montana? From what I read on some forums it seems like firmware revisions quite often solve some problems but introduce others, so I always want the flexibility to go back to a previous version if I don't get on with the new one.

The white screen issue is not as frequent now, but it is still definitely there for me. Now it is inconsistent appearing to happen randomly rather than following a certain action which leads me to agree with what Yogazoo said in anther post that it has to be map related rather than unit. The prior update disabled my ability to navigate to any way-point in Canada which living close to the US/Canada border is a problem for me, I haven't yet been able to test if this has been fixed.

Hopefully Garmin will eventually get the white screen issue worked out, probably just in time for the launch of a Montana replacement!

I am not that happy with the Software on the Montana. HAve had a few problems since the beginning and they are taking too long to fix them.

I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to 3.9. Every time I select a Cache, it freezes on a white screen with the green Go button. I have to pull out the battery to fix it. Happened at least 10 times yesterday so I had to revert to using my iphone because it just wouldn't work. Reinstalled the software but thta didn't fix it.

The other problem I reported to Garmon in January and was hoping would be fixed in this version (but wasn't!) was an odometer issue.

The odometer tracks distance covered then the device is switched off. So if say, you cycle 10km and then ride a train for 200km it shows 210km, which you obviously don't want. Since I wanted to use it to keep track of my cycling distance that is an important issue to me.

It took me a week to get them to accept that this was a problem. First I got the usual back and forth of them telling me to install the latest version etc. and I had to more or less nag them into actually testing it. Finally they managed to reproduce the problem and I have not heard since then.

I also resent not having the Wherigo app in there.

I had an oregon before but sadly lost it, so decided to upgrade to the Montana.

ON a positive note I love the big screen and it's much better in sunlight.

The odometer tracks distance covered then the device is switched off.

Actually it doesn't keep on recording, just continues from where it stopped and then keeps adding up the distance if you don't save & reset your track. This would assume you hike the day, switch off your device when at camp, and the next day when you leave, switch on your device and continue your track. So when you do a continuous hike, you got it all covered on your map.

If you use your device where you interrupt your hike to travel (fly, train etc) to another location, you have to save your track, and start a new one when you start again at your next point.

Actually it doesn't keep on recording, just continues from where it stopped and then keeps adding up the distance if you don't save & reset your track. This would assume you hike the day, switch off your device when at camp, and the next day when you leave, switch on your device and continue your track. So when you do a continuous hike, you got it all covered on your map.

If you use your device where you interrupt your hike to travel (fly, train etc) to another location, you have to save your track, and start a new one when you start again at your next point.

The problem is that if you turn it off, when you turn it back on things like the trip meter measure the jump from where you were to where you are now.

So if you were to use the trip meter to record how far you cycled in a day you have to take an active step to break it into segments if you cycle to the station, take the train, then cycle from the station.

My old 60CSx didn't do this - you could ride to the station and accumulate miles, turn the GPS off and take a train ride, then turn it back on and continue the ride, and the trip meter would show the distance you had actually cycled without including the straight-line distance between the two stations.

I have had nothing but problems since upgrading to 3.9. Every time I select a Cache, it freezes on a white screen with the green Go button. I have to pull out the battery to fix it. Happened at least 10 times yesterday so I had to revert to using my iphone because it just wouldn't work. Reinstalled the software but thta didn't fix it.

My guess is the problem is a GPX file not the GPS.

I see another thread where a new beta (3.93) is out with one of the changes being:

Fixed issue with track distance data field when track logging is off

Maybe this is fixed now. I'd like it to work the way you want it to also! The link to the beta seems to be hosed up (looping) - a problem on Garmin's side. When its fixed, I'm anxious to see if the track log problem is fixed.

My guess is the problem is a GPX file not the GPS.

Even if the GPX isn't formed perfectly the GPS should handle it better than just freezing.