Garmin eTrex 10 or Dakota 10?

Alastor09

I got the Dakota 10 and it will cover everything east of the Mississippi River here in the USA with Mapsource with City Navigator.

Although if you are considering the Dakota 10 and the Etrex 10, why not the Etrex 20 which is a little bit lower in price then a Dakota 10, but gives a lot more options then the Etrex 10.... Mapping, color, sd cards, etc........

Edited by gpsblake

Garmin doesn't even list an Etrex 10 on its Mapping Handhelds page, but it comes up in a query. It doesn't appear to support maps at all. Dakota 10 has no expandable memory. Internal memory is 850MB. Make sure you can get all the mapsets you need into it. As stated above, it won't hold all of City Navigator North America.

Edited by seldom_sn
Is that for planimetric Hungary alone? What if the OP wants topo, or more countries?

As Hungary is pretty much all flat, there's only so much topo data that you could put, even if you wanted to :P

850 MB is plenty of storage if you manage your maps a bit. Yeah, you can't put maps of large areas all at once, but you rarely need to do that anyway. It's a convenience to be able to do it, but not a necessity.

Edited by dfx

...Free map from Garmin.Openstreetmap.nl requires 85 MB free space on the GPS.

Is that for planimetric Hungary alone? What if the OP wants topo, or more countries?

The openstreetmap one is flat, and I just spot-checked Hungary because that's what OP asked about. As that's only about 1/10 of the Dakota10's storage, I imagine a big chunk of the surrounding areas would still fit.

Don't know for sure about topo size requirements, but Garmin's own Topo Hungary comes on a single CD and spec page lists 300MB needed on PC for a full-up installation.

If the OP (or anyone) needs a more/bigger maps than will fit on a given device, they're stuck with swapping out for given trips on an as needed basis.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Seldom_sn, I can see why you personally want to carry road maps of all of North America. But your emergency planning might not match Alastor09's needs of the moment:

- expressed: new geocacher, looking for a device within tight price range, able fit a map of a city at least the size of Budapest

- implied: would like map coverage of Hungary.

No need to upsell there, and it looks like he's already decided on the Dakota 10. Hope he has fun with it.

Edited by Portland Cyclist

Seldom_sn, I can see why you personally want to carry road maps of all of North America. But your emergency planning might not match Alastor09's needs of the moment:

- expressed: new geocacher, looking for a device within tight range, able fit a map of a city at least the size of Budapest

- implied: would like map coverage of Hungary.

No need to upsell there, and it looks like he's already decided on the Dakota 10. Hope he has fun with it.

Wasn't trying to upsell, just responding to dfx's comment about large areas with my personal paranoia.

Edited by seldom_sn

1) Etrex 10 is not a mapping unit (edit: not arguing, just confirming previous posters comments)

2) I doubt OP needs North American maps, as he mentions Hungary.

3) Free map from Garmin.Openstreetmap.nl requires 85 MB free space on the GPS.

Well thanks for the link and the answers again.

I'm not a big traveler so I only use Hungary map and maybe some other if I might travel some place but that's pretty rare. I think the Dakota will do as my first GPS or at least I hope.