Campgrounds in up state NY for Caching with kids

Panda Fan

:blink: I am from TN and will be taking my 3 nephews camping for the first time this summer and they live in Montreal. I am looking for a good campground with geocaching. I am trying to find a campground in the US near Montreal, unless someone know of some real good ones in Canada. I also want to teach them some basics about camping, ie, building a campfire, so I also would like a place that is campfire friendly. Maybe swimming would be nice too, but not must. Any help would be appreciated! :yikes:

Is the ADK park close enough?

HERE

Of those I've stayed at Lake George Islands, Cranberry Lake and Lake Eaton. Other than the Lake George Islands they were single night, arrive late and leave early stays used as jumping off points for backpacking or canoe camping trips. That said, they were OK as public campgrounds go. The sites have some space between them, they were relatively clean and quiet hour was enforced.

One option could be for you to rent a canoe or two (there are several outfitters in the area and the prices are reasonable) and go to the Bog River/Lows Lake area. There are caches galore along the Bog River and Lows Lake and there are many well spaced campsites along the river and lake. I think that would be an unforgettable trip for your nephews. The campsites are free and first come, first serve but unless it is a holiday weekend most of the sites won't be occupied.

It will give them a semi wilderness experience vs. the tent and RV city feel of a public campground.

One option could be for you to rent a canoe or two (there are several outfitters in the area and the prices are reasonable) and go to the Bog River/Lows Lake area. There are caches galore along the Bog River and Lows Lake and there are many well spaced campsites along the river and lake. I think that would be an unforgettable trip for your nephews. The campsites are free and first come, first serve but unless it is a holiday weekend most of the sites won't be occupied.

This man speaks the truth, it is an excellent trek. The "private land" on the north side of the lake is (or was, at least) a Boy Scout camp, but that shouldn't be a major issue as long as you don't wash up there :)

When I was in Boy Scouts, my troop made an annual canoe trip through Lows Lake, actually starting at Low's Lower Dam & then portaging over the dam at the end of Low's Lake, continuing on to Grass Pond. That's about a 14 mile paddle each way. In 4 trips, I think we saw one other party on the lakes, total. The further upstream (west) you go, the fewer people you'll see.

Edited by dakboy

If you're looking for a more relaxed camping (drive up to tent/camper sites with lake access), there is Fish Creek http://fishcreekpond.com/ and Rollins Pond http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24494.html in the Adirondacks, northwest of Saranac Lake and Lake Placid. There are some nice paddle-only caches closeby, plus numerous day hikes up nearby mountains not far away. These camp sites fill up quickly though, you'll need to book now.

I endorse Fish Creek Ponds. It is a lovely campground with many lakeside sites. To get to Rollins Pond, you go through Fish Creek Ponds and travel four or five more miles into the wilderness. If you go to FCP, I recommend taking your children to The Wild Center in Tupper Lake. It is a museum/science center/outdoor recreation area, a great place for the whole family.

Not really near Montreal but, a few years back our local geocaching organization put 21 geocaches in Glimmerglass State Park near Cooperstown. No micros. Great for beginners. They have great swimming on the sandy beach by the lake and there's also that hall of fame thing if you're into that.